What Are You Smoking JimInks?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's two more pipes I got this past month. Both were made this year by Basil Meadows, and he took the photos. I still have more pipes to post, and when I get a new camera, I will do that.

2014 smooth quarter bend Basil Meadows horn.

2014 smooth medium bend Basil Meadows egg with an aluminum band and a "root beer swirl" acrylic stem.

I don't know how many of you have Basil Meadows pipes, but I have three now. All of them needed no break in time, tobacco always burns cool, and I hardly ever have any dottle at the finish. He recently made me a squashed tomato, and I thought I'd post a few pics of it. It's beautiful and perfectly balanced, and rather sleek. I dedicated it to EGR, and from the first, I'm getting an intensity of flavors I haven't gotten from the other pipes I have smoked EGR in. That says quite a lot to me. Check out his web site: http://www.reddogpipes.com/

That Basil Meadows is right up my alley! I love a good tomatoes with thick walls and the grain on it is beautiful! And hearing it is a superb smoker makes me want it!!! Great looking pipe! You have so many gems, that might be my favorite.

Old Nate":yabntd8v said:
That Basil Meadows is right up my alley! I love a good tomatoes with thick walls and the grain on it is beautiful! And hearing it is a superb smoker makes me want it!!! Great looking pipe! You have so many gems, that might be my favorite.
It's the first pipe ever made specially for me. In fact, I'm smoking it at this very moment. I hardly have any moisture on a pipe cleaner after a run through, and it is a dry smoker. My favorite pipe that I own is a 1974 Grabow, only because it is the first pipe I ever bought, so that's a sentimental issue. Beyond that, my Barling is likely my favorite pipe and one of my best smokers. But this BM tomato is a helluva good smoker, well worth a couple of hundred bucks. I know Basil spent a lot of time on this one, and getting the bowl shape just right took an inordinate amount of time. He often custom makes pipes for customers, and if you haven't checked his web site, you should. http://www.reddogpipes.com/ .

I know I have a lot more pipes to take pictures of, but here's the latest one I got from Basil Meadows. This has a Wooly Mammoth horn ferrule and though it's tough to tell, a cumberland stem:

A friend bought this Chacom UPO Rouge for me today. No, I don't smoke it upside down, but I don't know how to fix it either:

For several years, I have wanted a Bing Crosby pipe. Since the company who made them, Merchant Service, is long defunct, I figured it wouldn't happen without paying a bloody fortune. Thanks to Basil Meadows, I finally have one. Basil got the pipe specifications of the Bing Merchant Service model, so this is accurate. 

I also got a pre-republic Pete Canadian today,along with my other two pre-republic Petes. It's the one in the center, even if the photo is sideways.

wow, thank you for posting some of your collection sir. they are all truly stunning and as I would expect many of them have history and a story to tell.

my meagre 6 pipes are all loved and tended to on a regular basis but i think id need a bigger house for your wonderful collection :affraid:

i hope you get to enjoy them all in good time

kitobi":u7rf1u07 said:
wow, thank you for posting some of your collection sir. they are all truly stunning and as I would expect many of them have history and a story to tell.

my meagre 6 pipes are all loved and tended to on a regular basis but i think id need a bigger house for your wonderful collection :affraid:

i hope you get to enjoy them all in good time
Thank you for the compliments. There's nothing wrong with having six pipes as long as you're happy with them. And yeah, it's tough finding room for them. And I've still more to photograph and post, but I'm lazy.

I know I still have more pipes to photograph, but here are the latest that joined the collection.

The top pipe is 1952 ODA Dunhill. The bottom pipe is a 2012 Rinaldo Collection Silver Line.

Here's the pics of the new-to-me pipe that was once owned by one of my favorite actors, William Conrad. Ever since I read about his Charatan collection in Richard Carleton Hacker's book back in 1988, I have greatly coveted the idea of owning one of them. This is a Charatan Executive Extra Large Stretch Apple from the Lane era. Many grateful thanks to my good friend Jesse (who's not on this forum) for this rare opportunity. Not often a dream comes true.

Jim, very nice pipe for sure!! Glad a dream was fulfilled and now you get to enjoy that fine pipe.....CONGRATULATIONS :cheers::cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

A 2002 black short shank grain relief straight Caminetto 6.L.17 tomato with a black acrylic stem.

Jim, all very nice looking pipes and I'm sure are superb smokers. Thanks for sharing the pictures. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

SORRY, MY RESPONSE POSTED TWICE FOR SOME STRANGE REASON. 

Top right, clockwise: The very first pipe I bought in 1974: Dr. Grabow Omega. The second pipe I bought: Dr. Grabow Omega. 1978 Dr. Grabow Omega. 1979 Dr. Grabow Grand Duke 45 pot.

1999 Brebbia black sandblasted quarter bend egg small pocket pipe.

The very first pipe I ever smoked (which was my father’s pipe), a late 1950s smooth with etched grooves straight Willard long stem adjustomatic Canadian with a black vulcanite stem.

Top right, then clockwise:

2003 Stanwell Golden Danish 56 Rusticated Canadian with a black vulcanite stem.
2002 quarter bend sandblasted Stanwell Golden Danish 139 with a black vulcanite stem.
1970s smooth medium bend Stanwell Rego 969-48 Design Choice 837 sitter with a vulcanite stem and ferrule.
1984 Stanwell Antique 124 grain etched with a smooth front with a black vulcanite stem.
1980 Stanwell 668 medium bend half black sandblasted, half brown smooth rough top with a multi-colored dark yellowish ferrule and black vulcanite stem.
1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite stem.

These pipes were made by Stanwell.

1970s slight bend smooth Danish Sovereign XXX 309 with a flat front sitter with a black vulcanite stem.
1970s small bowl smooth medium bend Danish Sovereign XXX 324 volcano sitter with a black vulcanite stem.