What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying Ranger's port and Byzantium pairing. I wasn't able to get Ranger's recommended porto but I picked up some Sandeman Founder's Reserve Ruby Porto on sale. First I tried Byzantium by itself in the Design Berlin. Comparing Beck's Limey Bastard and Byzantium is like the difference between bantomweight and heavyweight. Byzantium is the full-blown after-dinner experience!! Next, the ruby port has such a thick texture and long lingering aftertaste that it is possible to get two or three leisurely puffs while the taste of the port is still on the palate. I'd say they bring out nuances in each other that otherwise go unnoticed. I definitely like this idea, and it sure beats port and stilton! I can imagine with the right maduro cigar this would also be an experience to savor. :)
I think it is a good pairing and agree they bring out some flavor you don't get with either alone. You are right about the cigar match up. Back when I smoked cigars nothing better after a great steak dinner than some good port with a nice maduro like a Padron 1964 or my favorite an El Ray Del Mundo toro maduro. The port seemed to just suck the rich flavor from the maduro wrapper.

After the talk about Byzantium for breakfast I considered it, then said naah, need my burley. Urban cowboy in an Erik Nording Extra hand made with morning dark roast coffee. Yeah,

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-02-07-37-02.png
    Screenshot_2021-06-02-07-37-02.png
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 70
Okay, you guys swayed me. No more Shepherds Pie so a bowl of C&D Stratfordshire in a Sav Estrella Non Pareil. Pretty mellow but doesn't have the smoothness of SP. Says there is burley in the blend but I can't discern it.

I could do Byzantium for breakfast but prefer burley with coffee. They seem to complement each other so well. If I did do Lat for 1st bowl it would be CS Shepherds Pie.
Y'all a bunch of Rough Riders! o_O

I do agree on the Burley and coffee . . . that's how I prefer to ease into my day. Occasionally some Early Morning Pipe. But if you want to have roast beef and potatoes for breakfast that's fine. Come to think of it a big meat stuffed Colorado omelette sounds pretty good (but it's almost dinner time for me!!).
I think it is a good pairing and agree they bring out some flavor you don't get with either alone. You are right about the cigar match up. Back when I smoked cigars nothing better after a great steak dinner than some good port with a nice maduro like a Padron 1964 or my favorite an El Ray Del Mundo toro maduro. The port seemed to just suck the rich flavor from the maduro wrapper.
The Padron '64 Anniversario was one of my favorites. All my favorites are now well over $30 a stick - not a game I can afford to play!

Trying out some 4Noggins blends that I've somehow missed over the years. Just finished a bowl of Bald Headed Teacher in a Savinelli 677. Very enjoyable: smooth and lightly aromatic with underlying Burley taste. Nobody will mistake me smoking a cigar or cigarette, this tastes and smells like most people associate with pipe tobacco. If this really is an homage to Revelation, I can see why that would have been so popular.

Enjoying a beautiful evening on the deck smoking Gawith Hoggarth Coniston Cut Plug in a Savinelli New Art. Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon in the glass, a Grateful Dead show on the Bluetooth speaker.
D0BF5CFD-9BD7-4871-A3C5-FD4F3D4422BE.jpeg

4Nogs Three Blind Moose in a Savinelli 602. Mild and pleasant but I don't think it will replace Rivendell for the limited number of aromatics that I'll keep on hand.

Last pipe of the day is a good one: John Patton Oriental Dusk in a Comoy Golden Grain. I've tried all the other Patton blends but somehow missed Oriental Dusk. Blackhorse recommended it in one of the other threads - I'm glad I tried it. JP has a deft touch with cigar leaf, I wouldn't have thought of combining Turkish and cigar leaf but these particular types really sing together!

Smoking some more Gawith Hoggarth Coniston Cut Plug in a Savinelli bent made for, and purchased at, Main Street Cigar. This is one of the first pipes I ever purchased when I started smoking in 2009.
31FACF48-0D59-4741-B668-49AEC0C3A4F7.jpeg

Good morning Boys and Girls,
I am smoking some Sutliff vanilla nougat in an old Dr. plumb billiard pipe.I usually prefer bent pipes,but this oldie just smokes so good no matter what I put into it! Have a great day!

With my second cup of coffee enjoying some Bald Headed Teacher in a Savinelli Capri. The coffee and Burley-based blend make a seamless transition one to the other. Probably won't have time for another pipe until evening. Sometimes I have to do other things!

SavLap.PNG

Back from PT, trying to sneak in a quick smoke before I head to the VA for my volunteer shift. Some C&D Bayou Morning in a Molina rhodie. Hard to multi task, smoke, drink coffee, and text all one handed. Left hand still in an ice pack due to my PT gal being overly enthusiastic. Lol.

Pretty muggy on the front porch, going to sit here just long enough to finish my bowl of C & D Stratfordshire (in a B & B rusticated billiard). Ruby Porto on the side. I'd say this pairing works well with any full-bodied Latakia blend. Probably also work well with some of the hearty ropes. Have a pleasant evening all!