What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up before dawn again this am. Starting the day with John Bull burley in a Nording hand carved with Firehouse dark roast from Costco.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-18-06-51-50.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-18-06-51-50.png
    478.2 KB · Views: 63
Hiya Ranger.

It's the way it's brewed. If you do a search for it on UTube, you'll find a fellow there named Kent Rollins...he'll walk you through it.
Just watched the video and will try it out this weekend. I make Turkish coffee every now and then and assumed the two were the same, but with Turkish you pour boiling water over the coffee and let the grinds settle, Cowboy method involves actually boiling the brew. Something new to try! :)

Just getting around to trying a blend that Mister E recommended back in May in the Search for Perfect English thread: G.L. Pease Sextant in a Danish Barling that I reserve for flavored English blends. On my first go I'm already thinking this may end up on my Top Ten list. Tastes like King's Hawaiian bread dipped in dark rum, with some baking spices and just enough campfire to let you know there's some Latakia in there. Good stuff! :cool:

Years ago, I'm talking early 80's. my wife (who was then my girlfriend) was traveling for business and one of the goodies she brought back from her Denver trip for me was a bag of "Cowboy Coffee", an actual brand of coffee. I have no idea if it's still around, nor can I remember if it was any better than Chock Full o' Nuts.

This evening I enjoyed Presbyterian in a Savinelli Matches 860 Tribute, then John Cotton 1&2 in a Larrysson Rusticated Bent Dublin. They seemed quite similar blends.

Just getting around to trying a blend that Mister E recommended back in May in the Search for Perfect English thread: G.L. Pease Sextant in a Danish Barling that I reserve for flavored English blends. On my first go I'm already thinking this may end up on my Top Ten list. Tastes like King's Hawaiian bread dipped in dark rum, with some baking spices and just enough campfire to let you know there's some Latakia in there. Good stuff! :cool:
Bru, have you had GLP Abingdon? How does Sextant compare?

Bru, have you had GLP Abingdon? How does Sextant compare?
For me no comparison. I know Abingdon is held in high regard by a lot of "serious" pipers but I've never really been a fan. I always get taste of burnt graham cracker and an aftertaste of wood and graphite, like I've been chewing on a pencil. Sextant is completely different being sweeter and with more obvious rum (though nowhere near as overt as C&D Black frigate). As they say, YMMV. ;)

Another underrated Sutliff bulk blend: Old Professor 526. There aren't any really enthusiastic reviews on Tobacco Reviews, but for me this earns a solid 3 stars. Cool and steady burning blend of coarse cut sweet golden Virginias, mild Latakia, and black Cavendish which imparts a taste of pan-scorched brown sugar. I may just have to myself another bowl! :)

For me no comparison. I know Abingdon is held in high regard by a lot of "serious" pipers but I've never really been a fan. I always get taste of burnt graham cracker and an aftertaste of wood and graphite, like I've been chewing on a pencil. Sextant is completely different being sweeter and with more obvious rum (though nowhere near as overt as C&D Black frigate). As they say, YMMV. ;)
I have to agree. Abingdon gets lots of rave reviews but I found it lacking. Not bad just not my fav. Also burned a bit hot sometimes. Found it to be rather pipe specific. Will have to try Sextant.

Haunted Bookshop in a Medico Gothic. Good lightweight trail pipe I picked up "Buy Now" for $24 including shipping. I never bid anymore because people drive up prices beyond what I consider to be rational. Maybe for higher tier pipes like the Don Carlos that Ranger scored collectors have a better idea of what pipes are worth.

BoB-Haunted.PNG