What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed a lot of cinnamon raisin French toast slices with a Jazz apple on the side. I'm a quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2013 Capstan Blue Ready Rubbed in a smooth dark brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam 340 patent billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_340billard.jpg

Went in a Kroger store, and on a whim, checked out their pipe tobacco. Lo and behold there were pouches of Amphora Original, so that is what I am smoking in a MM Diplomat bent apple. I got 1.75 ounces for $3.99, so seems like another sleeper OTC blend. Now to get the burley (ier) version...
That blend was my go-to OTC for many years until it disappeared from the stores around me around 1984. The current version isn't quite the same as that one was, but if you give it a little dry time, it gets closer. I have a bunch of it here, and some time soon will open a pouch.

That blend was my go-to OTC for many years until it disappeared from the stores around me around 1984. The current version isn't quite the same as that one was, but if you give it a little dry time, it gets closer. I have a bunch of it here, and some time soon will open a pouch.
It really makes you wonder why these tobaccos disappear from stores like that. And, why would it be here, unless some customer or maybe someone with that store influences what they stock. I know it's got to be the economics of things, like our local discount tobacco store told me they couldn't sell Granger, but stock and can sell Prince Albert. After the purchase, I read the TR reviews, including yours, and was pretty satisfied and confirmed in the bowl I'd gotten a good blend. I may have to go on an Kroger Amphora raid later this week.

I never cared for Amphora back in the day. Maybe I should try it again? But then I have sooo many others that I know I like, lol. Anyhoo, Petersons EMP in a 70s vintage Hilson straight grain half bent billiard with English black tea on the side. Salmon patties for dinner, yum.

I never cared for Amphora back in the day. Maybe I should try it again? But then I have sooo many others that I know I like, lol. Anyhoo, Petersons EMP in a 70s vintage Hilson straight grain half bent billiard with English black tea on the side. Salmon patties for dinner, yum.
I just got off Mac Baren's site, and they may not have had as many at one time, but there are 10 Amphora blends now. I'm going to try some others. The one I smoked had Burley, Virginia, and Orientals in it.

Last edited:
Sturdy, how do you like the OJK? I found it a bit strong for my taste. However, I was gifted some OJK Red Label and it is quite good. BTW, I like that pipe.
Ranger,
Old Joe Krantz is the grandad, Haunted Bookshop is the dad, and Pegasus is the son. OJK is good, but I like HB better. Also, whatever Pegasus can do, HB can do it better in my humble opinion. OJK is strong, but not as bad as some have stated in the reviews. Never had the red or blue label. That Pete XL90 smokes superbly, thanks! I’m sure it’s about the same as your B42’s.

Ranger, When I was a kid I was forced to eat salmon patties! Mom would make it from canned salmon that resembled a large can of cat food! Yuck! 😂. However, I love fresh salmon. Enjoy that EMP.

So, I saw where a fellow pipe smoker mixed Haunted Bookshop with PS 41 Cube Cut. I thought, heck, I might like that because I enjoy both of those tobaccos. Wrong. Individually they are great, but together they are strange. I did partake in a fine bowl of GH Rum Flake and a bowl of SG Best Brown Flake in the Castello 31 & 75.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and snow peas dinner with a slice of sour lemon cake for dessert. I just finished smoking SPC Christmas Spirit 2022 in a medium bend 2001 Ural lattice Rhodesian with a yellow with white swirls acrylic saddle stem. Been working on a review of this blend.
URAL_2001_Rhodesian.jpg

Ranger, When I was a kid I was forced to eat salmon patties! Mom would make it from canned salmon that resembled a large can of cat food! Yuck! 😂. However, I love fresh salmon. Enjoy that EMP.
Yep. My Mom made them from canned salmon, cornbread mix, and onions. Hated them then. Now I ove Salmon filets and Mahi Mahi.

Almost half way through this bowl of year 2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. It'll rain all day so no walking reps.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Smoking a DePaja gigante with MB 7 seas regular blend with yet another mug of Ranger`s CR coffee.
Ranger, I was making this coffee in a KERUIG and it was very good,This morning I decided to perk a pot on the stove and it`s fantastic! I have a friend that works for Starbucks (I call them 10 bucks) and he gets me all of their reserve blends. He gave me 3 bags of the CR coffee. I need him to get me more. LOL!

Just passing the half way mark on this bowl of first release Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg