What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CH to break in my new Crown poker from P&C. Boy, for 30 bucks this pipe smokes really well. Relegated to the garage since the snow is piling up on the patio faster than I can shovel it off, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-26-11-26-07.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-26-11-26-07.png
    935.6 KB · Views: 66
Snow finally stopped so able to get outside for a little while and enjoy some Dunhill 965 in the Pete I just got from Brunello. Now trying to figure out how to get the 3 feet of snow out of my driveway with one arm, lol.

Attachments

• 20210126_144159.jpg
    20210126_144159.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20210126_144134.jpg
    20210126_144134.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 61
Thanks brother. That Wiley was the first "good" pipe I bought back in 2007. It smokes wonderfully. I only have about 25 pipes in my collection with 9 of them being Peterson's. I enjoy the Pete's very much. I have a couple of meers, a few cobs and about 8 or 9 artisan pipes. I try to buy only those pipes I really want these days so I am very picky when it comes to adding one.
Dave, looking at a Randy Wiley on ebay. It is a freehand, grade 3. Asking $150. Did some research and there is a lot of disparity in reviews of Wiley pipes. Seems his early work wasn't always up to snuff. Know anything about this grade of pipe. Seems a bit high as I saw 3 similar pipes on Iwan Reiss site that sold for $125. Your thoughts? Thanks,

Usually the RW pipes I have seen are graded 55, 77. 99 etc. I do know that that a lot of those old freehands were graded differently. The pipe I own is a Galleon grade 55 (solidly middle scale). The early Wiley freehands were BIG. I love the one I have as it smokes beautifully. I am also sentimentally attached as it was my first good pipe. It's still in my rotation after all these years and I can assure you it would not be there if it didn't smoke well. He was a prolific pipe maker and made some great pipes. I have heard of some complaints with stems and tenons being loose but if they were estates it could very well be who owned and took care of them. I paid About $125 years ago new. Smokingpipes.com has new Wiley's from $162 to $350. Unless that pipe is one that really appeals to you and is an estate I would buy a new one if I really wanted a Wiley. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I do know that estate pipe prices seem to be crazy right now.

Usually the RW pipes I have seen are graded 55, 77. 99 etc. I do know that that a lot of those old freehands were graded differently. The pipe I own is a Galleon grade 55 (solidly middle scale). The early Wiley freehands were BIG. I love the one I have as it smokes beautifully. I am also sentimentally attached as it was my first good pipe. It's still in my rotation after all these years and I can assure you it would not be there if it didn't smoke well. He was a prolific pipe maker and made some great pipes. I have heard of some complaints with stems and tenons being loose but if they were estates it could very well be who owned and took care of them. I paid About $125 years ago new. Smokingpipes.com has new Wiley's from $162 to $350. Unless that pipe is one that really appeals to you and is an estate I would buy a new one if I really wanted a Wiley. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I do know that estate pipe prices seem to be crazy right now.
That's what I was thinking..i do like the style of the one on ebay but other than being a grade 3 freehand there isn't much info. Iwan Reiss had a couple of really nice ones for $125 but already sold. I will just keep looking. Thanks for the info.

Dunhill 965in an I. Baglin meer. Crown Royal on the side. Can't make up my mind on this tobacco. Sometimes good, sometimes just so so. Snow finally melting but supposed to get more on Fri.

BBF by Samuel Gawith with s touch of perique in a Rafa Martin sandblast "El Saler"

Sitting on the patio under a heated throw, Rivendell in a Don Carlos with winter blend coffee, watching the snow melt. Tons of birds on the feeders.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-28-09-00-50.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-28-09-00-50.png
    629.8 KB · Views: 60
Sitting on the patio under a heated throw, Rivendell in a Don Carlos with winter blend coffee, watching the snow melt. Tons of birds on the feeders.
Over an hour with the Rivendell. Love how slow and cool this smokes. Gave up watching snow melt, just watching the birdies frolic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-28-09-48-21.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-28-09-48-21.png
    829.4 KB · Views: 66
"Sitting on the patio under a heated throw, Rivendell in a Don Carlos with winter blend coffee, watching the snow melt. Tons of birds on the feeders."
Brother, you've just described possibly the most blissful situation possible. I envy you.
Travis in his basement with some HH Bullseye flake in a onld bent Bertram's

St James Plug by Samuel Gawith in a Sigmund freehand, old spanish artisan

well, maybe this is a dream smoke, see the nature and enjoy a pipe, for a great moment

"Sitting on the patio under a heated throw, Rivendell in a Don Carlos with winter blend coffee, watching the snow melt. Tons of birds on the feeders."
Brother, you've just described possibly the most blissful situation possible. I envy you.
Travis in his basement with some HH Bullseye flake in a onld bent Bertram's
Yep, really peaceful here in the mornings. Quiet, restful, no traffic. Just watch the birds and stare out at the mountains, while smoking.