What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Country Squire Sheperd's Pie in a Bjarne pot

IMG_8159.jpg

C&D Mad Fiddler in a Savinelli 614 Tortuga. I was too eager to get out on the deck before temperatures drop and didn't allow sufficient drying time for the baccy. This one needs the broken flakes cube cut or finely rubbed and dried for a good 40 minutes or it is a bit raw on the palate. Nothing a side of Woodford Reserve Double Oak can't fix! ;)

Haunted Bookshop in a Medico Gothic. Good lightweight trail pipe I picked up "Buy Now" for $24 including shipping. I never bid anymore because people drive up prices beyond what I consider to be rational. Maybe for higher tier pipes like the Don Carlos that Ranger scored collectors have a better idea of what pipes are worth.

View attachment 217
Brunello, totally agree. Seems whenever I bid on what seems a good deal someone comes in at the last minute and gets it for a dollar more. The Don Carlos I got because seller had a set price but offered me a $20 discount. I thought $130 was fair considering similar pipes were going for $150 and up.

C&D Mad Fiddler in a Savinelli 614 Tortuga. I was too eager to get out on the deck before temperatures drop and didn't allow sufficient drying time for the baccy. This one needs the broken flakes cube cut or finely rubbed and dried for a good 40 minutes or it is a bit raw on the palate. Nothing a side of Woodford Reserve Double Oak can't fix! ;)

Enjoying my last bowl of McB vanilla creme for a while in a Nording free hand..54 degrees. Warming up nicely today. Time to break out the Sutliff xmas spice I ordered a month ago.

Second bowl this morning is Brunellos Hobbitt Weed in a recently acquired Comoy from a P&C deal few months back. Loving the baccy, pipe less so. Smokes okay but not as good as the Comoys I had from my college days. Those were great pipes and if I remember right only paid around 15 bucks for them.

Brunello, totally agree. Seems whenever I bid on what seems a good deal someone comes in at the last minute and gets it for a dollar more. The Don Carlos I got because seller had a set price but offered me a $20 discount. I thought $130 was fair considering similar pipes were going for $150 and up.
Brun, question for you and others. How do the Medicos and Kaywoodies smoke. Never had either. Always thought of them as "drugstore" pipes. I think my Dad had a couple back in the 60s when you could get them from Walgreens for under 10 bucks.

C&D Pegasus in a 40-year old MM Freehand.

I wouldn't go as far as calling this "transcendent" as one reviewer did, but it is definitely a keeper. Sort of like the best ever codger blend. I'll just have to remember to save this one for after lunch as the nic hit snuck up on me a little bit!

Brun, question for you and others. How do the Medicos and Kaywoodies smoke. Never had either. Always thought of them as "drugstore" pipes. I think my Dad had a couple back in the 60s when you could get them from Walgreens for under 10 bucks.
I also thought I'd never own a Medico or Grabow just because of the negative association, but I liked the look of this Medico, it was cheap enough to try on a lark, and it feels good in both hand and mouth. Good as a smoker, good lightweight pipe for walkabouts, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as my vintage Comoys.

Brun, haven't tried Woodford. How does it compare to say knob creek or bulleit?
Woodford is the only one I stock anymore ... so smooth it is easy to overdo it! The spicy vanilla bourbon flavors of Knob Creek work with chicken wings, but as a sipper or as a companion for pipe smoking the Woodford's palate-coating smoothness is the best I've ever had!

Having recently acquired quite the array of tobaccos over the past few months, now it is time to honor them by focusing on them. I'm a dedicated fellow and so I'm starting with C&D Pegasus. Very lovely, personal experience going on, regardless of the leaf blower in the background. Serenity in a bowl.
C&D Pegaus and Old German Clay.jpg

Woodford is the only one I stock anymore ... so smooth it is easy to overdo it! The spicy vanilla bourbon flavors of Knob Creek work with chicken wings, but as a sipper or as a companion for pipe smoking the Woodford's palate-coating smoothness is the best I've ever had!
Thanks, will have to try it.

First up this evening is Watch City Simply VOriental in a Radice Twin Bore Rusticated Bent Apple. My first smoke with this blend. Next up will be Sutliff Field and Stream Match in a hand carved pipe from a friend who is not a pipe carver, another first On the tobacco.