What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hobbits weed in the $30 Stanwell from P&C. This pipe smokes great, nice and cool. More winter blend coffee on the side. Very peaceful out this morning.

Briar Fox in the new meer my daughter gave me for Christmas.
20201226_140917.jpg

Great combo Greasy!

Mail delivery brought in 2 ozs of D&R Three Sails (bulk). Inspired by Penny Farthing, wanted to try out another VA shag. Enjoyed in a nine inch white clay with Cowboy Coffee at hand. Though light, found it to be refreshing and full of nuance. Pushed the limits of a mason jar, so guess I'll need to smoke up the rest over the next couple of days. Oh well... :cool: .

Five Brothers was to arrive today (it shows it's at the local post office since the 24th), hopefully it won't get sent out down the road a 100 miles and returned to the local post office. (That happened two weeks ago!)

Regardless, I'm enjoying the simplicity of these shag cuts. A new "twist" to piping!

Braved 18F on the patio with a virgin Ropp Vintage Cutty filled with Penny Farthing. Pipe arrived yesterday and it brought out new dimensions to this beautiful, shag cut tobacco. Cowboy Coffee at hand.

View attachment 400
Love the cutty shape. BTW, and sorry if this has been brought up before; but what EXACTLY is Cowboy Coffee?
Oh, and Happy New Year.

Another Rattray's Good Deal came in today. This is also a rusticated Billiard, about an inch longer than the other one. This had a 9mm filter which I removed. Sipped and savored another bowl of C&D Black Frigate. Wow, this is a terrific tobacco! This is a dynamic duo; one light after the char is all it took. Bowl smoldered and offered rich, creamy smoke and swirling flavors for an hour.

Enjoyed post supper on the patio as snow clouds begin to gather. Very peaceful experience with a cup of Cowboy Coffee at hand.

Now, about Cowboy Coffee:

Beautiful day in Prescott. Another glorious sunrise. My own concoction in a MM cob. Mixed some LNF in with the 3 star blue to see if it would brighten it up. Okay but not sure it improved the original but good with strong coffee.
One pic looking east, the other south

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-27-08-39-23.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-27-08-39-23.png
    659.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2020-12-27-08-38-14.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-27-08-38-14.png
    901.9 KB · Views: 71
Well, our gorgeous morning has turned into a cloudy overcast chilly day with hints of rain/snow. So, switched over to sutliff vanilla custard in a vintage Sasieni full bent rhodesian.

Another Rattray's Good Deal came in today. This is also a rusticated Billiard, about an inch longer than the other one. This had a 9mm filter which I removed. Sipped and savored another bowl of C&D Black Frigate. Wow, this is a terrific tobacco! This is a dynamic duo; one light after the char is all it took. Bowl smoldered and offered rich, creamy smoke and swirling flavors for an hour.

Enjoyed post supper on the patio as snow clouds begin to gather. Very peaceful experience with a cup of Cowboy Coffee at hand.

Now, about Cowboy Coffee:

Paul, have you tried McB's plum cake navy? Any comparison to Black Frigate? Also, one reviewer on TR said BF left the smell in his clothes, hair, etc. I found this to be the case with H&H 10 to midnight. Great taste but you need a shower afterwards, lol. Same with BF?

Paul, have you tried McB's plum cake navy? Any comparison to Black Frigate? Also, one reviewer on TR said BF left the smell in his clothes, hair, etc. I found this to be the case with H&H 10 to midnight. Great taste but you need a shower afterwards, lol. Same with BF?
I was told that the Black Frigate "ghosted" me. However, I did not offend myself, so I let it be (Hah!). I do stay away though to tobacco that smells like I rolled around in an ashtray (ciggy smell).

Have not yet tried the McB Plum Cake.

Late morning side by side tasting of C&D Three Friars in a Ropp Vintage Liverpool vs a Tsuge Tasting Billiard. Quite interesting how different this tobacco can taste between different pipes.

The Ropp had a "wider" flavor spectrum...more high notes and less sweetness. However, the darker bottom flavors were not prevalent. The pipe smoked like a dream.

In the Tsuge, it brought out more interplay between the Burley and Virginia and sweetness that was not found in the Ropp. The Tsuge has more "focus" to it.

And odd thing though...the Tsuge was smoked for the first time a few days ago and after that first use, the stem seemed congested. I keep really clean pipes and taking it apart, there was no apparent restriction to the airway, however it did not draw like before. Had to bring out a 3mm needle file and it brought it back to "factory" condition. Smoked beautifully this morning.

I told the Tsuge; "Well, looks like you found your dance partner. You're dancing much better today. It helps when your shoes fit, doesn't it?" She sent a lovely plume skyward in agreement.

And yes, Cowboy Coffee at hand.

I was told that the Black Frigate "ghosted" me. However, I did not offend myself, so I let it be (Hah!). I do stay away though to tobacco that smells like I rolled around in an ashtray (ciggy smell).

Have not yet tried the McB Plum Cake.
Don't know about BF, but when I smoked H&H 10 to midnight I came inside smelling like I had slept on top of a campfire all night.

Late morning side by side tasting of C&D Three Friars in a Ropp Vintage Liverpool vs a Tsuge Tasting Billiard. Quite interesting how different this tobacco can taste between different pipes.

The Ropp had a "wider" flavor spectrum...more high notes and less sweetness. However, the darker bottom flavors were not prevalent. The pipe smoked like a dream.

In the Tsuge, it brought out more interplay between the Burley and Virginia and sweetness that was not found in the Ropp. The Tsuge has more "focus" to it.

And odd thing though...the Tsuge was smoked for the first time a few days ago and after that first use, the stem seemed congested. I keep really clean pipes and taking it apart, there was no apparent restriction to the airway, however it did not draw like before. Had to bring out a 3mm needle file and it brought it back to "factory" condition. Smoked beautifully this morning.

I told the Tsuge; "Well, looks like you found your dance partner. You're dancing much better today. It helps when your shoes fit, doesn't it?" She sent a lovely plume skyward in agreement.

And yes, Cowboy Coffee at hand.
Interesting how particular pipes can change a blend. Found this with fusiliers ration. Tried in 4 different pipes. Totally different in each.