What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sillem's Commodore Flake in a paneled Design Berlin. I first discovered this unique and tasty flake in a trade exchange with Briar Beagle. Since then availability has been sparse, and now I see why: it has been repackaged under the John Aylesbury brand and is now sold as Commander Flake. I'll have to try that soon, but I'm now enjoying the original Sillem's. Too bad I don't have any dark ale on hand because it pairs nicely with that.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, wild caught catfish, eggs and sugar snap peas dinner with a small scoop of Dutch chocolate ice cream for dessert. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth straight late ‘50s, early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching The Thrill of It All starring Doris Day and James Garner.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

I spent a good bit of the day working on my ice machine, a very frustrating, but ultimately successful project. Took a break in the afternoon for a bowl of PS LBF in a Radice Rind Billiard with a faux bamboo shank. This evening I'm finishing up a DGT bowl of Russ' Tastykake in a Bones bent Dublin; then some Wilke Sailor Jack in a Peterson 2018 01 Christmas Pipe; then Peter Heinrichs Curly Block in a Radice 1/4 bent Rusticated twin bore apple.
Happy IPSD!

Now smoking Sept. 2015 Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

About a quarter of a bowl left of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching some idiot video review of EGR. He has too many long pauses, is inaccurate about the ingredients, wrong about the original manufacturer, and talks too much about his hair cut and other boring personal stuff. At least he liked the tobacco, and the viewer isn't looking up his nose. Stuff like this is why I avoid video reviews, and turned down requests to do them. I'm sorry to disappoint those who were wanting to look up my nose. 😉
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Last edited:
Part way through this bowl of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 2019 black rusticated Peterson 312 full bend billiard with a military mount and a nickel cap with a cumberland 4AB stem and a N.A.P. bit.
PetersonNAP.jpg

PetersonNAPbit.jpg

About a quarter of a bowl left of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching some idiot video review of EGR. He has too many long pauses, is inaccurate about the ingredients, wrong about the original manufacturer, and talks too much about his hair cut and other boring personal stuff. At least he liked the tobacco, and the viewer isn't looking up his nose. Stuff like this is why I avoid video reviews, and turned down requests to do them. I'm sorry to disappoint those who were wanting to look up my nose. 😉
View attachment 893
Agree about YouTube reviews. Other than Bremen Pipe Smoker whom I enjoy for the travelogue aspect, I haven't found any worth my bother. But talk of EGR means that's what I'm going to load up right now and enjoy. Always comfort food for me!

Part way through this bowl of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 2019 black rusticated Peterson 312 full bend billiard with a military mount and a nickel cap with a cumberland 4AB stem and a N.A.P. bit.
View attachment 895
View attachment 896
What the hell is that? Never heard of a NAP bit. Something I'll have to research unless you care to enlighten us about its origin. ;)

What the hell is that? Never heard of a NAP bit. Something I'll have to research unless you care to enlighten us about its origin. ;)
For a few years in the early 1900s, Peterson tried this bit on some of their pipes. It has three holes. Mark Irwin wanted to get Peterson to bring it back, so he started a focus group of twelve people to get feedback in 2019. I was one of them. Silver Gray made the stems, and Peterson supplied the bowls. I love the way it distributes the smoke in my mouth. I really doubt Peterson would put this into production because of the work involved in making the stem. If you Google this, you will find tons more info than I can remember to tell you. I think you'll find it very interesting.

Now smoking Sept. 2015 Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, filet mignon, green beans and mushrooms dinner with a small scoop of vanilla bean ice cream for dessert. It's time for a leisurely bowl of year 2016 Sam Gawith Cabbie’s Uncut in a 2003 smooth medium bend straight grain Ardor Venere Extra signed by Dorelio Rovera Dublin and a black acrylic saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching an episode of The Addams Family on FETV.

I'm taking my leave from this thread for while. Maybe some of those who stopped posting will do more in my absence.

C&D Orion's Arrow in an English Comoy 215. Sitting in the workshop looking out at the freezing rain coming down. Kind of bringing my mood down so I'm going to make myself a nice Cappuccino.

Started the day with Rivendell in a Design Berlin bent pot. Now into McB HH burley flake in an Aldo Velani 2012 POTY 1/4 bent dublin straight grain. French vanilla coffee on the side. Bright and sunny. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..

C&D Orion's Arrow in an English Comoy 215. Sitting in the workshop looking out at the freezing rain coming down. Kind of bringing my mood down so I'm going to make myself a nice Cappuccino.
Oh boy, that sucks. But look on the bright side, at least your not in TX.

With the freezing rain stopped, and refueled by a good Cappuccino, I put on the Yaktrax and ventured forth into the frozen mists with John B. Hayes Scottish Moor in an English Comoy Golden Grain 607. I don't often use this pipe, below the Extraordinaire and Blue Riband in their lineup, but it does great with these lighter Latakia blends!

BoB-Com607.PNG