What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urban Cowboy in a MM general cob with morning coffee. Looking forward to getting my new horse tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-29-10-37-20.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-29-10-37-20.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
EGR in a diamond-shank bent pot, house pipe from the long-defunct PIpe Rack in Wichita, Kansas...great shop and great folks...

KWGhLz0l.jpg
That looks an awful lot like my Lane era Charatan 489 pot (made from 1977 to 1981) - this shop could have very well commissioned some seconds. Herman Lane was always making those kinds of arrangements. Anyway, mine smokes great and likes complex broad cut mixtures - but EGR works fine too!

My own blend "Vermeer" in a Stanwell Trio. I'm going through some jars of my own blends that I haven't tried in a long time. Back in 2016 I found a trunk of old tobacco supplies and some unopened items from the 1980s and 90s including a tub of Douwe Egberts Amphora which I played around with. One result of that was this blend which is about 60% Amphora with some Stokkebye 702 Burley and Sassafras (now discontinued). Anyway, it's still pretty darn good!

I’ve been smoking more of late - about every other day. I realized I smoked once in the last year. I also realize I’m sitting on a good amount of McClelland. Hmmm.

I have some VA flake in an unmarked mason jar. I’ve been smoking that down using: a Rinaldi Liverpool, a Rev Bent Acorn, a Teipen bent billiard, a Teipen Lovat, and a PoY BoB Brigham Bent Billiard.
It’s McClelland 2015. :) It’s a shame, because this one is great. The perique adds just enough zing to the sweet VA. I probably have two bowls left before it’s gone forever.

Smoked over the last couple of days in a Castello Sea Rock paneled bent bulldog and in a Dunhill Shell Briar straight billiard.

Today in a Pease/Di Piazza June Bug.

Following Brunello's lead, some Arango Balkan Supreme in an Aldo Velani 2012 POTY. Orange tea on the side. Don't get the bagel taste. If anything more reminiscent of my Mom's southern fried onion cornbread., lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-03-15-23-38.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-03-15-23-38.png
    962 KB · Views: 75
A Little light reading along with a layered bowl in a Ben Wade: Five Brothers Burley on top, Orilk Dark Strong Kentucky on the bottom. Since the cuts are very different I had to slow down my pace once I got to the denser flake.
BoB-BenWade.PNG

My own blend Serenity in a Falcon Algiers. Sat on the porch watching an approaching thunderstorm roll in, but about halfway through the bowl horizontal rain made this idea rather problematic. :oops:

That looks an awful lot like my Lane era Charatan 489 pot (made from 1977 to 1981) - this shop could have very well commissioned some seconds. Herman Lane was always making those kinds of arrangements. Anyway, mine smokes great and likes complex broad cut mixtures - but EGR works fine too!

Very well could be; I had several of their house pipes in my collection years ago and always wondered who made them. The top pipe (bent Dublin? Zulu? Yachtsman?) with its oval shank has been a favorite for years. The photo doesn't show it but it has a very nice pronounced nearly straight grain; hard to believe it was someone's house pipe. The pot of course, and the bottom pipe (shape?) have remained. Amazing that you could get briar of this quality in simple stencil pipes once upon a time.

uaJEOUYl.jpg

Last edited:
Used my 40th bday knife made by a friend of mine’s father to cut up some well aged Gawith Hoggarth Brown Bogie. Will be smoking this in a little while in a Stanwell Royal Danish around a fire pit while enjoying some beers with friends. Haven’t had the Brown Bogie before....so wish me luck lol!
View attachment 1201
Royal Danish! There's a name I haven't heard in a while. I still have two from back in my "Danish shape" days, mostly I suppose because I figure they won't bring anything on the estate market. Thanks for the reminder; I think I'll give them a go!

zxX3oyrl.jpg

Got up early to enjoy the morning sun!! 2018 DH London Mixture in a Paul Perri to start the day along side some dark, strong Lion Hawai'ian coffee!! FTRPLT

Attachments

• IMG_1276[1].JPG
    IMG_1276[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Some Dunhill Flake in a John Redman tall Dublin. Sometimes you just want good pure tobacco taste. This tin had nearly six years on it which is long enough to give deep, smooth flavor.

BoB-RedmanNew.PNG

Starting the afternoon off with Arango Balkan Supreme in an old (has registration number) Curt Rollar/American Pipe Company blasted Dublin. The owner of the B&M that sold it, named it "The Witch's Hat" since when turned over, it does resemble such!!

Attachments

• IMG_1281[1].JPG
    IMG_1281[1].JPG
    974.9 KB · Views: 41