What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
57D5C347-987B-4766-ADA8-06C546D565E6.jpeg
Relaxing on the deck enjoying some Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug in a Charatan’s Make Authentic. I have been enjoying getting off work early this week with the 4, 10 hr work schedule finished for the summer, but I am certainly going to miss having off tomorrow as was the case for the past 2 mths!

A quarter of the way through this bowl of Wilke Peanut Butter and Chocolate in a light brown 1979 rusticated medium bend Italian Sir Jeffrey Dublin (GBD second) sitter with a flared top and yellow saddle stem. Taking a break from cleaning estate pipes. Going to clean a few pipes I smoked earlier now.
Sir_Jeffrey_Dublin.jpg

Just lighting up some 32 yr old Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake in a James Barber Chevin ** Made By Hand In England by Les Wood with 925 silver band. Now I don't know for a fact that it's 32 yrs old, but a friend gave it to me in April of 2004 and said it was 15 yrs old. It looked and smelled well aged at that time. I have no excuses for not smoking it sooner but I can say that it smells great today and the bail-top opened with a loud sucking pop. Stuffed coins and then topped the bowl with some loose strands. Cheers!
IMG_7539.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, filet mignon and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm part way through this bowl of Bjarne Flake De Luxe in a straight smooth brown year 1948 Parker patent 116989/17 23 88/F bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. First time smoking this new-to-me pipe. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
1948_Parker_patent 23 bulldog..jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, filet mignon and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm part way through this bowl of Bjarne Flake De Luxe in a straight smooth brown year 1948 Parker patent 116989/17 23 88/F bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. First time smoking this new-to-me pipe. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
View attachment 2053

About a third of a bowl left of this freshly opened eight ounce tin of year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Just lighting up some 32 yr old Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake in a James Barber Chevin ** Made By Hand In England by Les Wood with 925 silver band. Now I don't know for a fact that it's 32 yrs old, but a friend gave it to me in April of 2004 and said it was 15 yrs old. It looked and smelled well aged at that time. I have no excuses for not smoking it sooner but I can say that it smells great today and the bail-top opened with a loud sucking pop. Stuffed coins and then topped the bowl with some loose strands. Cheers!
I tend to be an Italian pipe guy, but you have a great English collection. This is a particularly sharp pipe. I've only owned a couple Ferndowns, and both were great smokers. Heavy for their size and design though, and intuitively, they had this solidness that made me think they were packed with a fine blend of oils from the curing. I have no memory of his pipes being oil cured, though. Just that the feel of them made me think the briar was saturated with something that made them both great smokers and heavy for the situation.

Close to finishing this bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

CH in my new Sav Hercules EX with morning coffee. Heading off to Cave Creek soon to look at another horse.
I have Hercules pot that is a great smoker. Glad to see somebody else smoking one.
Molina_Apple.jpg

Did and set of walking reps in this difficult heat and humidity, and am close to finishing this bowl of year 2016 D&R Three Sails in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a black tapered vulcanite stem. My day has gotten off to a great start because a dear friend of mine sent me a pound of Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake. Going to smoke it soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 2052

That is one gorgeous pipe! To my mind the bark finish with silver band and Cumberland stem is the quintessential Ferndown, and that sounds like a blend worthy of the privilege.

Keeping it smoky with some Old Gowrie in this pre-Lane Charatan I just cleaned up as much as my modest skill allows. This is my first Charatan and I’m absolutely loving it, just a phenomenal piece that smokes even better than it looks. They live up to their reputation.
B58BD070-FD05-49DB-8ED3-003680F1177C.jpeg