What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volkditty, agree with you. Tried HB based on all the good reviews. Was very disappointed. Smoked all if it but wouldn't order more. EZ, sorry about your pain buddy. Hope they can do something for you to help relieve it. Having some Bald Headed Teacher in a Pete Derry Rustic with morning CR coffee. The Sasieni made Old England arrived yesterday. Excited until I opened the box. Looked at it and said to myself WTF, lol. This has to be the smallest pipe I've ever seen. Probably smaller than a Dunhill 3. Wife even commented on it's tiny size. Very disappointed. Immediately got on Ebay and requested a return. Told them the pipe was misrepresented by the description and the photo. They did send me a return label. Just hope they refund my 40 bucks. Sorry for the rant but I hate being scammed.
Salesman’s sample. Lol.

This morning I am packing my Bent Billiard Castello with Erinmore, (my most aromatic tobacco) and heading to the barn. Here I will clean up the remains of a feeder (splintered wood, bent nails & screws) that a larger Billy Goat destroyed. While I am doing this, the aromatic room notes from my pipe will help remove the left over sour, rancid smell from the departing Billy-multitasking perhaps?
Pipe4.JPG

About half way through this bowl from a freshly opened tin of year 2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Volkditty, agree with you. Tried HB based on all the good reviews. Was very disappointed. Smoked all if it but wouldn't order more. EZ, sorry about your pain buddy. Hope they can do something for you to help relieve it. Having some Bald Headed Teacher in a Pete Derry Rustic with morning CR coffee. The Sasieni made Old England arrived yesterday. Excited until I opened the box. Looked at it and said to myself WTF, lol. This has to be the smallest pipe I've ever seen. Probably smaller than a Dunhill 3. Wife even commented on it's tiny size. Very disappointed. Immediately got on Ebay and requested a return. Told them the pipe was misrepresented by the description and the photo. They did send me a return label. Just hope they refund my 40 bucks. Sorry for the rant but I hate being scammed.
What a bummer. I know there are many views on this, but I really dislike small pipes. They feel like toys. I like big, substantial hunks of briar that have a good heft in my hand and double as jaw dumbbells so I get a good face workout while I smoke.

Meanwhile, smoking another bowl of Carter Hall, which has apparently become my go-to smoke. I read reviews saying that this new version is dogwater compared to the old one. If that's the case, they must have been making a rock solid product in the past, because this new stuff is alright with me.

This morning I am Packing my giant Ashton with St. Bruno Flake. This is a pipe I normally reserve for a long evening with relative and friends. To day however, I feel like a long smoke although I will probably break it into two sessions. I just bought a 100-gram (3.5 oz) tin of Mac Baren Scottish Mixture. In the US you pay $13.00, in Canada we pay US $37.31 + 12% consumer tax = $41.79 - an additional tax on an already monstrously taxed item. This is very punitive which, of course, is precisely the point, for in our failure to listen to our betters, we are being financially spanked for our naughty ways.

To me, most pipe smokers live in their heads; that is, they tend to be a more thoughtful, independent breed. I sometimes wondered why I am drawn to large pipes. Perhaps it’s an unconscious rebellion to the punishing price this “nanny state government” forces us to pay for our tobacco. Right now, I am enjoying my giant Ashton in spite of them. I was tempted to add a rude, written gesture to the ‘nanny state”, but I think I will let that pass.
View attachment 7627
Tobacco is even pricier in Australia, due to the extremely heavy tax on it. 50g of MacBaren's Scottish Mixture is Australian $125.95 (US $87.89).

Yes, expensive to be a smoker Down Under.

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and have just under a third of a bowl left of year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Gold Star Nightwish, neat, is my drink. Got some nice samples of the current Cob Plug, SJP, and FVP to compare with older versions. If there's any differences, I'll update at TR. Also got a sample of South African Latakia to review from Wesley's. This will be interesting.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Tobacco is even pricier in Australia, due to the extremely heavy tax on it. 50g of MacBaren's Scottish Mixture is Australian $125.95 (US $87.89).

Yes, expensive to be a smoker Down Under.
Good grief! Based on that level of taxation, I almost feel feel guilty for complaining about ours.

Good grief! Based on that level of taxation, I almost feel feel guilty for complaining about ours.
Yes, it's pretty insane. And the taxation reason is the same: punishment for us naughty smokers who don't do what we're told. I know quite a number of people who have succumbed to the aim of making smoking too expensive and have given up.

Yes, it's pretty insane. And the taxation reason is the same: punishment for us naughty smokers who don't do what we're told. I know quite a number of people who have succumbed to the aim of making smoking too expensive and have given up.
The mandatory anti-smoking propaganda we have on our tobacco products is quite extreme, too.

Attachments

• propaganda.jpg
    propaganda.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Now smoking year 2022 Sam Gawith Saint James Plug in a straight dark brownish sculpted 1960-70s Peterson meer poker with a factory replacement tapered black AB p-lip stem. Working on an update of this blend that I'll post at TR.
Peterson_Meer_Poker.jpg

What a bummer. I know there are many views on this, but I really dislike small pipes. They feel like toys. I like big, substantial hunks of briar that have a good heft in my hand and double as jaw dumbbells so I get a good face workout while I smoke.

Meanwhile, smoking another bowl of Carter Hall, which has apparently become my go-to smoke. I read reviews saying that this new version is dogwater compared to the old one. If that's the case, they must have been making a rock solid product in the past, because this new stuff is alright with me.
Can't say as what I have now is pre DR. I think Jiminks posted a review of the new DR blend and said it was OK. Have to research.