What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike: Enjoy your pipe. Oy vey another hurricane on the way! It seems you guys in Africa are sending another hurricane this way. They all seem to come from your West coast and travel Northwesterly across the Atlantic. I think I'm moving to your neck of the woods to get my ass behind them. Any decent homes available in close proximity to a Walmart? We'll be smoking our pipes together on your back porch sooner than you think.

For the first few puffs of the London Mixture, I thought I'd bought something far too mild for my taste. However, it did develop in a pleasant manner. Some people report a nicotine kick from this blend, and from burleys in general, but I didn't notice anything in particular. However, coming from the world of cigars, I imagine that a half-bowl of pipe tobacco, however strong, is not going to compete very often with a Churchill in terms of nicotine delivery.

In hindsight, I should have opened this on Monday morning when I was unwinding from the long weekend. I have now been turned onto the pleasures of burley in a cob, and as of this moment, London Mixture is my official relaxation blend.

On to my current smoke. I opened my tin of McClelland Orient 996 Vintage 2007 and loaded it into the very first pipe I ever purchased, a straight Dr. Grabow Golden Duke. Mass-produced as it may be, I quite enjoy its chestnut-colored, sandblast finish.

Some reviews I read of Orient 996 mentioned the tomato-like smell. I sincerely hoped they were wrong, but oh boy! There it was when I opened the tin. It was like opening a can of tomato soup--no mistaking it for anything else. I'm really glad this wasn't the first pipe tobacco I ever experienced, or I would never have come into this hobby.

Subtlety seems to be the theme today, because once again, the smoke proved to be surprisingly mild. In fact, for a while I couldn't tell that it was any different from the burley I smoked earlier! On the second light after the charring light, though, I noticed a very pleasant and unusual umami flavor. Aha! This is the same umami taste that tomatoes have. There was the barest hint of tomato in the smoke. I could never have imagined how this would be pleasurable, but the actual experience of it was indeed very nice!

All in all, both blends started in a way that made me feel skeptical, but both delivered in the end.

TommyGun76":trirlwjh said:
GH Bob's chocolate flake , in my new St Pat's 05 fishtail breaking it in and lovely stuff , I love my new peterson smokes better than everything I own so far
I hear ya Tommy!
My wife is wondering what I want for an annev. present this year(october 22, i know 2 months away, but!) ..she got me my first Nording Last year, that I just smoked some CAO bella Vanilla out of.. its a great pipe, but Ive been looking at some Petes, and its between a Peterson and another Nording, possible a Signature. ;)

Enjoying a bowl of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. Tonight my smoke is sheer nirvana. One of those bowls that comes along once in a hundred. Outstanding peaceful pleasure that calms the body and fills the environment with happiness. This tobacco blend is manly heaven. Cannot praise this blend enough. A salute out tonight to Rich Gottlieb at 4 Noggins.

A bowlful of Hermits Mystic Blend. One of Jay Jones' first and most delicious blends. Super smooth, full flavored with just enough Latakia to make you want more and more. The Ashton Brindle Trafalgar shape from 1991 is the perfect pipe for this blend. Total enjoyment. :D

Luxury Bullseye flake in a Dunhill poker... And a Sam Adams light. I could spend all night with this combo... And I just might!

I think it's finally time for some Frog Morton on the Bayou, my first date with Perique. Let's see how well it takes to my trusty Spitfire. Just opening the tin now and...what, tomatoes again? Smells like tomato soup cooking on a campfire. I wasn't expecting two in a row, does this happen a lot? Well, off to see how it smokes.

LIPIPE":yzh187mx said:
Good morning John and other brothers. I've just lit some Sterlings 1776 Bostonian in a no name straight grain favorite billiard. This is a great blend that I always keep in a steady rotation. Can't say enough about my friend Jack Peterson as a master blender and his delicious menu at his Sterling Tobacco Co.
Good morning to you, Marty. I was wondering where it get the Sterlings 1776 Bostonian. Sounds intriguing.

Morning in Quebec. Sun and blue skies and no wind. Out on the balcony with a French roast lighting up a full bent Castello filled with - what else? - Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe! Heavenly!

-------

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/viewtopic.forum?t=13824

Status
Not open for further replies.