What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne

Reaction score
NicholasDestray":x68vff1f said:
I think it's finally time for some Frog Morton on the Bayou, my first date with Perique. Let's see how well it takes to my trusty Spitfire. Just opening the tin now and...what, tomatoes again? Smells like tomato soup cooking on a campfire. I wasn't expecting two in a row, does this happen a lot? Well, off to see how it smokes.
How do you like this blend? I bought some recently but haven't popped the tin yet.

John: and brothers....
Sterling Tobacco Co.
P.O. Box 1151
Sterling, IL 61081
Toll Free: 1 800-891-7761

Jack Peterson is a master blender and has become a personal friend. He does business the old fashioned way. You place an order and he sends it with a bill enclosed. You are on the honor system to send payment. He also will gladly suggest what you may like based upon your smoking preference and he gladly sends samples as a courtesy to pipe smokers. No strings attached. His tobaccos are first rate, highest quality and his blends are absolutely outstanding. If you do not already have a senior pipe reamer he will send you one. I purchased one about a year ago and it only cost $17.50. It is a good tool to have. Ask for a tobacco blend menu list sheet and be sure to tell him I send my best personal regards. Jack is a real first class gentleman.

Jack's personal e-mail address below:

[email protected]

LIPIPE said:
John: and brothers....
Sterling Tobacco Co.
P.O. Box 1151
Sterling, IL 61081
Toll Free: 1 800-891-7761

Thanks Marty! Will send him an email.

Airborne":suqelu2w said:
NicholasDestray":suqelu2w said:
I think it's finally time for some Frog Morton on the Bayou, my first date with Perique. Let's see how well it takes to my trusty Spitfire. Just opening the tin now and...what, tomatoes again? Smells like tomato soup cooking on a campfire. I wasn't expecting two in a row, does this happen a lot? Well, off to see how it smokes.
How do you like this blend? I bought some recently but haven't popped the tin yet.
I was really looking forward to this blend. However, when I smoked it, I couldn't detect anything notable, so I let it sit after half a bowl. Sometimes I'll put a pipe down on Friday night and come back to it Monday evening, and it's usually better for the experience. Not this time.

I finished the last half-bowl just now. If the first smoke was bland, the second was dry and bitter with no other noticeable flavor. When I reached the end, I was just thinking about going for a bowl of something different when the nicotine (or something) kicked in and banished all desire to smoke, even though I wasn't doing this on an empty stomach. Right now, it's my least-favorite tobacco.

However, I'm a patient man. I'm going to try it again, and again, and I'll probably keep trying it until I finish the tin, however many years that takes. I'm also an easily-influenced man, and I have to admit that marketing the brand with frogs + Tolkien is hitting me right in one of my psychological weak spots. I would caution you that I could talk myself into liking this eventually, except that there are other Frog Morton blends out there, so if this is really not the one for me, I can always try another.

So, I'll probably experiment with it over the next week or two. Maybe I'll dry out the tobacco for a while before loading it. (It sure didn't seem to smoke wet, though.) I'll certainly stick it in a cob, and see if that doesn't help bring out any good points.

A wonderful bowl of Union Square in a Savinelli Auto 4.

Dunhill Flake in a Pete Supreme bent billiard.

MisterE":h5eq5g2r said:
Buenos dias gents!

Started the morning with some Escudo in a Group 2 Dunhill Liverpool.
That sounds like a great way to start the day, MisterE

I'm smoking my second bowl ever of Stonehaven in a group 3 Dunhill bulldog. So far, I'm really buying into the Stonehaven hype. Good stuff! :cheers:

Escudo mixed with just a bit of Captain Black in a full bent Sav.

Had a little OGS in a Sasieni Canadian here. Soon to enjoy some BBQ Ribs off the grill outside!

s.ireland- me likes Stonehaven too! Enjoy!

Watching the fall of night on this first September day with a half-bowl of 1-Q in my Golden Duke.

Enjoying a bowl of Bill Baily's Balkan Blend and and sipping on a cold IPA... ah.

Royal Yacht in a Kevin Arthur bent brandy.

Late afternoon here & it's Brown Clunee in a Pete Mark Twain.

Time for round two with Perique. I'm going to try a blend the local tobacconist refers to as Silver Oakum, but which I suspect is R Blend, an attempt by Altadis to match House of Windsor's Revelation. Revelation was purported to be Albert Einstein's habitual tobacco. Since I was just going over the Einstein-Szilard Letter, I thought maybe this would be a good night for it. Let's put it in my Golden Duke and see what happens.

Squadron Leader, in a Kaj Neilsen bulldog. Darjeeling on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.