What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 4:00 am this morning had a very cool smoke outside at work -25 degrees Celsius of some Sweet Killarney in my Meer.

SmokeyTweed":g5f3xpth said:
At 4:00 am this morning had a very cool smoke outside at work -25 degrees Celsius of some Sweet Killarney in my Meer.
Brrrrrrrrrr :shock: :shock:

J_Rock":zmhra22f said:
SmokeyTweed":zmhra22f said:
Brrrrrrrrrr :shock: :shock:
Its not as bad as it sounds J Rock, -25 is a little crisp when compared to the -40 degrees we still have to work in. :lol:

C&D Exhausted Rooster in an Altinok meer.

Winslow :sunny:

Even' All. Four bowls to-day, all in Ehrlich's Straight Billards, Two with FVF'06,Bob' Choc. Flake '03,and Bosun CP'05, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Still Frigid Northeast Kingdom! :tongue: :pale: :penguin:

my first bowl of Orient 996 in an antique amber stemmed calabash. amazing. this stuff is great.

Finishing up a bowl of Walnut in a Don Carlos 2 Note bent dublin.

Wee bit chilly here this morning, temperature at the airport is -30.9 Celsius. I had a nice bowl of Black Cross, a blend from the local tobacconist, on the drive to the bus station this morning.

Good Morning All,

Best Brown Flake in a Lorenzetti billiard.

Cold with sunny day.

:) Paul

Well, I've been haunted by a cold for almost 2 weeks now. Had it's highs and lows but in that time I've smoked maybe 4 bowls, enjoyed a couple and the others I just couldn't taste. That's where I've been for a couple of days now, can't taste a damned thing! But enough's enough! I'm going to try to burn the little virus bastages out with a rather large bowl of 1995 Bombay Court in a Charatan Selected large Dublin . If that don't do it I may have to go with some straight perique! :affraid:

It's the birthday of John Steinbeck, born in Salinas, California (1902). In the late 1930s, Steinbeck was sent by a newspaper to report on the situation of migrant farmers, so he got an old bakery truck and drove around California's Central Valley. He found people starving, thousands of them crowded in miserable shelters, sick with typhus and the flu. He wrote everything down in his journal, and he decided that he had enough material to write a novel. In less than six months, he had a 200,000-word manuscript. He finished on October 26, 1938, when he wrote in his journal: "Finished this day — and I hope to God it's good." He wrote by longhand, and his wife, Carol, typed up the manuscript. She also suggested a title: The Grapes of Wrath, from the song "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." The Grapes of Wrath was published in 1939, sold half a million copies in its first year, and won a Pulitzer Prize.

It was on this day in 1812 that Lord Byron made his first speech in the House of Lords. The economy and work force of Britain was being transformed by the Industrial Revolution, and skilled workers were being replaced by machines. Some of these workers protested by destroying machines, and the British government proposed the Frame Breaking Act, which said that anyone guilty of breaking a machine would either be sentenced to death or sent to the penal colony of Australia.

After Byron traveled through rural England and observed the uprisings, he argued against the Frame Breaking Act in his speech in the House of Lords. But it was passed anyway. In 1816, Lord Byron wrote "Song for the Luddites."

It's the birthday of the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, born in Portland, Maine (1807). He went to Bowdoin College and became a scholar of literature and modern languages. In 1826, he traveled to Europe to study German, French, Spanish, and Italian. He got married, and in 1835 he returned to Europe to learn Scandinavian languages, but his wife came with him, and she had a miscarriage and died in the Netherlands. He fell in love again, with a young woman named Fanny Appleton, but she rejected his marriage proposal. So grieving for his first wife, despairing over Fanny's refusal, he threw himself into his work and became a popular American poet.

In 1843, Fanny agreed to marry Henry after all. They were very happy, they had six children, and Fanny helped her husband with his work. Longfellow wrote incredibly successful book-length poems, like Evangeline (1847), about separated lovers in Nova Scotia, and The Song of Hiawatha (1855), about an Ojibwe leader. Whenever he published a book of poetry, it would sell out almost immediately.

But in 1861, Fanny Longfellow was using sealing wax and her dress caught on fire. Longfellow rushed in from the next room and tried to smother the fire by throwing his arms around his wife. But Fanny died the next day, and Longfellow was heartbroken. He wrote "The Cross of Snow" in her memory.

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

Puff Daddy":ovp63l4e said:
Well, I've been haunted by a cold for almost 2 weeks now. Had it's highs and lows but in that time I've smoked maybe 4 bowls, enjoyed a couple and the others I just couldn't taste. That's where I've been for a couple of days now, can't taste a damned thing! But enough's enough! I'm going to try to burn the little virus bastages out with a rather large bowl of 1995 Bombay Court in a Charatan Selected large Dublin . If that don't do it I may have to go with some straight perique! :affraid:
I've been the same way for about a week PD but I have smoked at least one bowl everyday but one and I think I finally smoked that darn cold right out. Walnut was tasting pretty dang good today! :D

Solace from 2002 in a Rad Davis blast. The Solace was a gift from PB. Yep. I am still smoking on that tin. These no longer produced Syrian blends are fantastic. Don't pay too much attention to the details about it at TR.

English with cubed burley, Latakia, Turkish, Perique & Va flake. With age it seems to be fairly mellow. Not unlike the old tin of Balkan Sobranie 759 I picked up. Nice, comforting smoke.

Even' All, 4 pipes so far to-day, in my Dunnie# 622 shell, 2 bowls Louisiana Flake, this is a far superior smoke than St. James Flake, In my Castello #65 Sea Rock, Haddo's '06, in my Castello Omm-Paul[?] Condor RR '06, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem En Puffing! :tongue: From The Frigid Northeast Kingdom! :tongue: :pale: :penguin:

Morning, all! Just finishing a bowl of Best Brown Flake. Then it's off to the office...the commute tabak to be Esoterica's Stonehaven.

Buddy

Good Morning All,

Uhle 300 in a Wolfgang.

-29c overnight rising to -14c today

:) Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.