What are your other Hobbies?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobie1dog

Reaction score
Did a search, went back 28 pages on here and couldn't find a thread that gives everyone a chance to list their other hobbies. Pictures are encouraged. There's got to be some interesting ones from everyone.

I lift weights and am a long time martial artist, just got back into martial arts after something of a hiatus, and now I'm probably going to compete next time I get the chance. I also read a lot.

I play the geetar and I train brazillian jiu jitsu...read, write, hike, travel all that other stuff too. The guitar, BJJ and pipes are the 3 main ones though.

Fishing and tying jigs and flies are my main ones, but love the guitar too and have one elect and one acoustic, but don't get to play enough. After that shooting and hunting, but it's so far to a range I don't go much since it's 60 miles. Love my guns and I guess collecting them is also a hobby of mine.

For sure don't get any time for games, but love video games and have a wii and old X-Box.

Of course these are not including the pipe smoking thing, LOL!

Skip

Hmmmm. Guess you could count my reading as a hobby - more like an obsession. Then there's the Harley and the fishing and playing the tin whistle. Is cooking a hobby?

Flyfishing & flytying, hunting & reloading & photography are what I enjoy. I guess pipes & tobacco are a hobby too but are as much a way of life as flyfishing is to me. Gym & reading are two other activities I get around to.

Reading, drinking, writing, researching, ruminating; all to loud music. I suppose, though, that these things I do are more of a lifestyle or a collection of vices than anything. I also like regular coffee and hanging out with my cat. Nothing "exciting," but certainly enjoyable.

Woodworking, shooting, reloading, collecting WWI and WWII rifles (currently have German, English, Russian, French, Swiss, Canadian, Australian, Japanese and American), gun repairs and restoration, fishing (trying to learn how to fly fish), turkey hunting, camping and occasionally dabble into pipe making.

My first love is Photography as some know. Kayaking,Golf,Pipe smoking,Hiking,Reading Great Stories,Camping,Fishing and watching interesting people and finding out about their history if they volunteer. A little hunting. :cheers:

Avid Waterfowler, collect antique duck calls and decoys. Hand carve the decoys my son, grandson and I hunt with. These activities allow me to duck hunt 365 days a year.

Rodney

Zippo Lighters, Reading, Woodworking, Glass Paperweights, Antique Pipes, Antique Drafting Tools, Slide Rules and PIPES!!

Wife says my whole life is just a hobby. Hunting and shooting, reloading, gun building, fly fishing and just trying fly tying, wood working. Photography is likely my longest running hobby from childhood, followed closely by playing guitar. Trying my hand at leather work, mostly to make some nice holsters for the gun collection. Have a small collection of slide rules and HP calculators, especially the HP41c and earlier models. Camping, hiking and golf but haven't spent a lot of time at those recently. Read and smoke my pipes when I have the time.

Edit: Neglected to mention that I am also a Amateur (ham) radio operator although that has not been a top activity lately.

I cook and I collect Tiki/Polynesian stuff, especially mugs.

Writing is somewhat more than a hobby (do it for fun, but it's also my teaching field); bowling is somewhat below hobby (since it's primarily an excuse to hang out with friends and sip refreshing beverages.)

Music is my first maiden, if I had to choose pipes or music, I would pick music for sure. But thank God I can have them both!

I play percussive instruments and sing/guitar in a band I play in here in charleston. I have also been playing the trumpet for about 6-7 years. I started the mandolin about two years ago (easy instrument, if any of you are looking into it!) and have been taking cello lessons for the past month or so.

Besides that I enjoy cooking without recipes. I just open up the pantry and see what I can make with whatever I have! It's thrilling, and when you get something that tastes good it's a great feeling.

Fishing in the summer, skiing in the winter, hiking/geocaching all year, reading, and learning languages (although I haven't done it for awhile). I'm also thinking about taking up gardening one of these days.

How do, fellow pipers. Good thread.

Okay, of course, there is fly fishing and fly tying. I try to do at least one big fishing trip into the wilds of Alaska once a year. This summer I am doing an eight day remote float in Western Alaska.

After that, I enjoy cooking, reading (when I can) and writing (sorta working on a book and a screen play and dabble with the poem) and photography.

Camping, hiking, mountain biking, travel. Espresso. Adventures, any, both big and small.

Am currently considering taking up surfing. Yes, in Alaska. An old friend, a high school buddy, has a boat. We hope it might be "low impact" on our aging bodies.

Skiing. Nordic and alpine. Pick-up pond hockey. Used to be a long boarder, until I broke my arm.

Anything to do with rivers and streams.

Rocks, I like looking under them, especially in rivers and streams. Or climbing them, or just clambering about and upon them.

A lot of this stuff has taken a back seat as of late, on account of my latest Grand Adventure: parenthood. Whoa. Many surprises, challenges, twists and turns, that. And my daughter is only just 16 months old. I suspect that this road, the road of being and becoming a father, shall represent my greatest, most challenging, most rewarding adventure yet. Sorta scary, really.

TB over and out.

My hobbies I would say are:

-Reading (if that counts)
-Cooking
-Automotive repair and maintenance (20 year old SAAB)
-Music (play guitar and trumpet, although the latter not as much lately)
-Film (watching)
-Camping/hiking when I can get out of the city

Shooting / Firearms, Hapkido / MMA-Police, Police Patch collecting, video games, pipe & tobacco collecting / smoking :D

Funny that most of my hobbies are also my job....... :scratch:
I think I need to find other hobbies!!! :p

Trout Bum":itt10sph said:
A lot of this stuff has taken a back seat as of late, on account of my latest Grand Adventure: parenthood. Whoa. Many surprises, challenges, twists and turns, that. And my daughter is only just 16 months old. I suspect that this road, the road of being and becoming a father, shall represent my greatest, most challenging, most rewarding adventure yet. Sorta scary, really.

TB over and out.
Ah that's the grandest of all. It is wonderful. Terrifying yes, but that's part of the greatest adventures. Most terrifying, most rewarding, most fun. I remember when my oldest was about that age I would sometimes think "what did I ever do for entertainment before we had her?"? She was so much fun.
Don't worry it only gets better. Most of the time. The ups and downs are huge though.
Good luck and enjoy the ride brother! Every minute of it that you can now. Before you know it you'll turn around and it will be grandbabies.