What are your other Hobbies?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guns/reloading, hunting, fishing, woodworking, skeet, guitar, collect tokens, I enjoy watching wildlife-deer, geese, ducks, turkeys.

I like reading and studying theology and teaching (I will hopefully be headed to seminary in the fall).

I once dabbled in guitar, but I don't play as much any more.

I really like making things, which has led me to refurbing/refinishing estate pipes, and sewing (the hat in my avatar is a product of this hobby).

Song crafting, music making, Freemasonry, reading, religious and esoteric studies. :study: You know, fun things.

Maiser,

You mentioned mandolin.. and that you're working on cello. You may also like violin, since the fingering is the same for both.

As far as my hobbies go, I love reading, pipes, cigars, listening to a large variety of music, acting (not a lot of that for a while, though it's a big passion for me), poetry, I dabble a bit in playing music (mostly guitar and now a bit of violin.. I did take piano lessons when I was younger, and played harmonica.. I can mess around on them ok, though I haven't done much with them for years, even though I enjoy them), and I think that's pretty much it.

Cheers fellas!

I'm a musician/guitarist, but for hobbies, I collect stuff! You name it, I collect it...records, books, catalogs, vintage clothes, toys and models and now, pipes! And pipes have led me to a new favorite hobby, pipe photography. I'm also an avid soccer (futbol!) fan, and I follow Liverpool FC and AS Roma, both having terrible seasons... :cry:
Forza Roma, Go Reds!!

Thomas Tkach":opfgjjw3 said:
I like reading and studying theology and teaching (I will hopefully be headed to seminary in the fall).

I once dabbled in guitar, but I don't play as much any more.

I really like making things, which has led me to refurbing/refinishing estate pipes, and sewing (the hat in my avatar is a product of this hobby).
Thomas you do well.. And the hat looks great.. Next year if I may ask you to be able to find the time to make an older man one of your hats.. brown if possible.. 7 3/4 inches around this old skull.. I will pay you your trouble.. I like it.. Cheers.
Chuck.

Thanks for all the replies guys...very interesting stuff, exactly the kind of response I was looking for..although we could use some more photos.
731245658_xTaw9-O.gif

hobie1dog":hgs554bk said:
Thanks for all the replies guys...very interesting stuff, exactly the kind of response I was looking for..although we could use some more photos.
731245658_xTaw9-O.gif

I certainly won't ignore a request for photos!!

Pipe making, Long distance backpacking, using the sewing machine to make hiking gear, playing music, mostly clawhammer banjo and upright bass. Reading, listening to vinyl. Building banjos, electric guitars and basses. Other woodworking.

laherb":t4x4kr97 said:
Pipe making, Long distance backpacking, using the sewing machine to make hiking gear, playing music, mostly clawhammer banjo and upright bass. Reading, listening to vinyl. Building banjos, electric guitars and basses. Other woodworking.
Have any pictures of your work? We'd love to see some!!

Here's a few pics.

A bass I built
n50800548_30706616_741.jpg

A pipe I made
74448_172359796127294_100000598246169_492319_8218558_n.jpg

Me at the end of my Appalachian Trail Thru-hike. The grandest day of my life, so far.
61779_154842454545695_100000598246169_386577_668218_n.jpg

laherb":ekgekt3n said:
Great stuff! Thanks for the pics!! :cheers:

Handsome Dynamite":8mnvxm21 said:
And along with my other ones, I keep bonsai trees, listen to music and drink scotch.
Bonsai can be tricky...any tips about caring for them? :scratch:

That's a nice lookin bass, and a nice Dublin, too!

Chuck, I don't know if making a hat for you would work out. I made that first one without a pattern and it took me more than a dozen hours to figure out. I started another one, maybe with practice I'll get better and faster so you don't have to pay too much for an inferior hat just to make up for my time;)! I've made the first two from tweed blazers I got for nothing at the thrift store, but I have found sources for decent tweeds online, as well.

What I am getting better at (and thinking about selling online) are bow ties! Here's one I made in a subtle glenplaid:

Another I made from a thrift store shirt:

Oh, I play rugby, too!:twisted: (I'm in the middle, sprinting)

Thanks guys. Once I'm a little more satisfied with my pipe making skills I plan on trying to sell a few.
Thomas, great bow ties! Let me know when your ready to sell them. I'd be interested.

Harlock999":jl0bg60n said:
Handsome Dynamite":jl0bg60n said:
And along with my other ones, I keep bonsai trees, listen to music and drink scotch.
Bonsai can be tricky...any tips about caring for them? :scratch:
Be careful about watering, over watering can be as bad as underwatering. If you live with others, make sure you're the only one taking care of it. I live with my parents and my mom started watering my first tree, but so was I.... and it died. I have a water measurment tool that is stuck in the soil and it says how much water is present. Very helpful. Also use clean, pure water as much as possible. Tap water has a lot of stuff in it that can bind to the roots and make it hard for nutrients to get to them.

Tom T, very handsome bowties! I like the diamond-point design. Add me to the list if you do go live with selling them--I wear a bowtie to work every day.

I told you that photos would make this a great thread, keep em coming. :D