What are your other Hobbies?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinH it's kinda slim pickins around Charlotte to find quality music.....lots of country bumkin, po dunk, beer bottle smashin music though. :cry:

Yeah tell me about it. My wife is a symphony musician, and I used to go every weekend before my little boy came along. Now I just hang out at the house with him, while mommy works on the weekends. There is very little live music, and almost no good live music. We don't even have a good jazz club. The only place that has some acts that I've enjoyed is the Double Door, but that's been a a while.

MartinH":p2vuwbqr said:
Yeah tell me about it. My wife is a symphony musician, and I used to go every weekend before my little boy came along. Now I just hang out at the house with him, while mommy works on the weekends. There is very little live music, and almost no good live music. We don't even have a good jazz club. The only place that has some acts that I've enjoyed is the Double Door, but that's been a a while.
When I lived near Columbus, Ohio I played in 5 bands....since moving to NC, I've played in 1 for 1 gig, the rest was only in churches playing Baroque music with pipe organs.

One of my favorite concerts was Bach played on this organ at Die Wieskirch in Germany, when I was about twelve years old. By moonlight, in a beautiful baroque church...in the middle of nowhere.

WOW, what a church. It's so sad to see how everyone wants to have their own church these days, so they go out and put up metal buildings instead of all coming together as a community and building Cathedrals that took a century to build, held many familys, and united everyone in the process.

hobie1dog":bwfj5k76 said:
WOW, what a church. It's so sad to see how everyone wants to have their own church these days, so they go out and put up metal buildings instead of all coming together as a community and building Cathedrals that took a century to build, held many familys, and united everyone in the process.
I agree. When people see themselves as being part of individual groups without much in common, it's hard to come together as a community.

I'm in college right now so I don't have as much time for my hobbies as I'd like, but when I *do* have time they include:

-Films. I love watching and making films; I'm a film major. I have a collection of around 500 films on DVD and at least a dozen seasons worth of television shows in addition. And I consider this only the beginning of my collection. =D I hope to become a casting director...I'm a master at six degrees. I'm completely obsessed with the art of acting, but have no interest in doing it myself.

-Books. I'm a big reader, enjoying mostly fiction (horror, sci fi and fantasy) but also non fiction including topics like anthropology and religion. I also do my fair share of writing but haven't yet graduated from short stories to novel-length work.

-Music. I'm almost always listening to music. I live pretty close to the Starland Ballroom, a venue small in size but huge in terms of notoriety. Their tickets are pretty cheap and I've been lucky enough to see Flogging Molly, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, .38 Special, Motorhead, and Night Ranger there (among many others). I've also done some traveling for concerts, including up to Connecticut to see Billy Joel and down south Jersey to see Lynyrd Skynyrd.

-Outdoors. I dunno, I guess that's a pretty broad topic. I'm not in the best shape but I'm trying to get there. I love nature, and I love to hike. I'm learning archery and hope soon to get a chance to go camping for the first time.

-Sports. I am a crazy, crazy Red Sox fan. I spend most of the off-season feeling ashamed of my post-season behavior...and when I'm not doing that, I like to watch football. I'm a Ravens fan, but not quite as enthusiastic about football as I am about baseball.

I think that covers most of my major hobbies.

Willow

whiskeywillow":7u5e9rrw said:
I'm in college right now so I don't have as much time for my hobbies as I'd like, but when I *do* have time they include:

-Films. I love watching and making films; I'm a film major. I have a collection of around 500 films on DVD and at least a dozen seasons worth of television shows in addition. And I consider this only the beginning of my collection. =D I hope to become a casting director...I'm a master at six degrees. I'm completely obsessed with the art of acting, but have no interest in doing it myself.

-Books. I'm a big reader, enjoying mostly fiction (horror, sci fi and fantasy) but also non fiction including topics like anthropology and religion. I also do my fair share of writing but haven't yet graduated from short stories to novel-length work.

-Music. I'm almost always listening to music. I live pretty close to the Starland Ballroom, a venue small in size but huge in terms of notoriety. Their tickets are pretty cheap and I've been lucky enough to see Flogging Molly, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, .38 Special, Motorhead, and Night Ranger there (among many others). I've also done some traveling for concerts, including up to Connecticut to see Billy Joel and down south Jersey to see Lynyrd Skynyrd.

-Outdoors. I dunno, I guess that's a pretty broad topic. I'm not in the best shape but I'm trying to get there. I love nature, and I love to hike. I'm learning archery and hope soon to get a chance to go camping for the first time.

-Sports. I am a crazy, crazy Red Sox fan. I spend most of the off-season feeling ashamed of my post-season behavior...and when I'm not doing that, I like to watch football. I'm a Ravens fan, but not quite as enthusiastic about football as I am about baseball.

Willow
Motorhead and Night Ranger? Nice! What are you favorite films/books?

Harlock999":l5hr92k3 said:
whiskeywillow":l5hr92k3 said:

Willow
Motorhead and Night Ranger? Nice! What are you favorite films/books?

Just a few of my favorite films are:

The Amateurs, Beetlejuice, The Big Lebowski, Big Trouble in Little China, The Breakfast Club, Boondock Saints, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams, City of Lost Children, Clerks, Con Air, Cool Hand Luke, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Dangerous Liaisons, Dead Poets Society, Die Hard (1-3), Disgrace, Equilibrium, Evil Dead trilogy, Fargo, The Fifth Element, A Fish Called Wanda, Forrest Gump, He Died with a Felafel in His Hand, Hot Fuzz, The Hudsucker Proxy, Inglourious Basterds, Jaws, Ladyhawke, A League of Their Own, Legend, The Lost Boys, The Man in the Iron Mask, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Much Ado About Nothing, Natural Born Killers, Nightbreed, Office Space, The Pest, The Princess Bride, Quills, Real Genius, Repo! The Genetic Opera, Reservoir Dogs, Revenge of the nerds, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Rob Roy, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rolling Kansas, Serenity, Se7en, Sgt Kabukiman N.Y.P.D., The Shawshank Redemption, Shaun of the Dead, Sherlock Holmes, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Sleepy Hollow, Spaceballs, Starship Troopers, Star Wars (eps IV-VI), Strangeland, Suicide Kings, Surviving the Game, Teeth, Thelma and Louise, This is Spinal Tap, Very Bad Things, V for Vendetta, Wayne's World, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Wristcutters: A Love Story, Young Frankenstein, Zombieland.

And yes that really is just a few of my favorites. I...I watch a lot of films.

A shorter list is some of my favorite books:
-The Lord of the Rings and The hobbit, by JRR Tolkien
-The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
-The Increasingly Inaccurately Titled Hitchhiker's Trilogy by Douglas Adams
-Knick Knack Paddy Whack by Ardal O'Hanlon
-Old Man's War by John Scalzi
-Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
-Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
-Dubliners by James Joyce
-From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury
-The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
-the Green Witchcraft series by Ann Moura
-Dracula by Bram Stoker

I guess maybe another hobby of mine is making lists =/

Sgt. Kabukiman? Nice! Anyone with a healthy respect for Troma is A-OK.

A bunch of my friends from college are extras in one of the Toxic Avenger movies, which they shot mostly in Poughkeepsie.

Doc Manhattan":3los300c said:
Sgt. Kabukiman? Nice! Anyone with a healthy respect for Troma is A-OK.

A bunch of my friends from college are extras in one of the Toxic Avenger movies, which they shot mostly in Poughkeepsie.
I'm very possibly interning with Troma over this summer. What's your favorite Troma film?

Tromeo & Juliet. Although the original Toxie is pretty great, as is Surf Nazis Must Die (I'm not sure if SNMD is Troma-produced or just distributed, anyhow.)

Nice list. I'm a Neverwhere fan myself. And Big Trouble in Little China? Classic! One of the few films from the 80's that I still like to watch.

I also see by your tracks most recently listened to dealy that you've been listening to Tom Waits' Rain Dogs.. one of my favorites! Have you watched Down By Law (Jockey Full Of Bourbon was part of the soundtrack).. really cool movie by Jim Jarmusch.. and Tom's one of the main characters!

happypipester":3pc1ghuw said:
I also see by your tracks most recently listened to dealy that you've been listening to Tom Waits' Rain Dogs.. one of my favorites! Have you watched Down By Law (Jockey Full Of Bourbon was part of the soundtrack).. really cool movie by Jim Jarmusch.. and Tom's one of the main characters!
I love Down By Law! "If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now..."

It's probably my favorite performance by Roberto Benigni, although I'm sure not a lot of people would agree with me there. I guess I just like him better in movies he's not also directing. =/ And needless to say I love Tom Waits' performance. I always thought he was a better actor than he tends to get credit for.

Yeah, Tom Waits is one of my favorite musicians. He's going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March! About damn time. Alice Cooper's being inducted at the same time. Such a happy year for me =)

Willow

homebrewing beer (more of a way of life than a hobby really), hiking and snowshoeing, snowboarding, muay thai kickboxing, reading (big time fantasy geek), movies and films, traveling as much as possible, motorcycles...

Sadly, Tom doesn't get a lot of recognition.. I realize a lot of his music is far from mainstream in a time when most singers are just models who happen to have a decent voice, but he's been a major influence for so many of the truly great musicians out there.. I was also really excited to hear Tom is finally being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame! He also was the guest editor for an issue of Mojo last year.. the CD that comes with it (which was selected by Tom) alone was worth the price. Top that off with his role in The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (to me it was easily the best performances in the entire movie, though Heath Ledger fans would probably disagree) and The Book of Eli, and the last year or so has been yet another amazing one in Tom's career. I'm hoping he'll come out with a new studio album sometime soon, but the live Glitter and Doom CD should help me get through until then lol.

Sorry for being so long-winded lol, but it's nice to see somebody who appreciates Tom like I do!

happypipester":rjhnxf8a said:
Sadly, Tom doesn't get a lot of recognition.. I realize a lot of his music is far from mainstream in a time when most singers are just models who happen to have a decent voice, but he's been a major influence for so many of the truly great musicians out there.. I was also really excited to hear Tom is finally being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame! He also was the guest editor for an issue of Mojo last year.. the CD that comes with it (which was selected by Tom) alone was worth the price. Top that off with his role in The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (to me it was easily the best performances in the entire movie, though Heath Ledger fans would probably disagree) and The Book of Eli, and the last year or so has been yet another amazing one in Tom's career. I'm hoping he'll come out with a new studio album sometime soon, but the live Glitter and Doom CD should help me get through until then lol.

Sorry for being so long-winded lol, but it's nice to see somebody who appreciates Tom like I do!
It's seldom enough that I meet people who appreciate Tom Waits, but it's even rarer to find people who appreciate his acting! I agree he was easily the best performance in Imaginarium. Have you seen Wristcutters: A Love Story? He was pretty good in that. I also thought he was great in Dracula - although that movie was 50% awesome and 50% ridiculously cast (come on, we need a young British couple so we get Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder?).

Music (old school Rock and Roll, progressive Rock and Metal, and classic Jazz), Books (big time fantasy geek, Russian literature, theological books on every topic from Hinduism to Christianity to Humanism), Dungeons and Dragons, video games, and Mock Trial.

I also work at the Renaissance Faire in St. Louis (could I be geekier?)

thefoolish":9zkxph0y said:
Music (old school Rock and Roll, progressive Rock and Metal, and classic Jazz), Books (big time fantasy geek, Russian literature, theological books on every topic from Hinduism to Christianity to Humanism), Dungeons and Dragons, video games, and Mock Trial.

I also work at the Renaissance Faire in St. Louis (could I be geekier?)
You would be geekier if you had specified the rules edition of D&D that you play.

(3.5 ed. over here :pale: )