What are your other Hobbies?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hobbies? I like to nap whenever possible, does that count?

Most of what time would be free is usually taken up by researching/writing for my thesis...but when I do get some downtime:

1. Going to zoos. It's something my wife and I both enjoy...we usually plan our vacations around cities with zoos we've not seen, but we have three of 'em within an hour's drive, so it makes for a good spur of the moment Saturday.

2. Reading. Yeah, it's about the most cliche answer to this sort of question, but what can I say. I'm always working on one non-fiction book, one fiction book, and an audiobook for the car. Thank God for libraries.

3. Video games. New stuff, old stuff, whatever. Good times.

Coffee roasting
Home brewing beer
Camping
I think I have a stamp collection around here.

I like to hunt, fish, ride bikes & horses, read, built knives & do leatherwork, but my biggest passion/hobby is traditional archery & a good pipe relaxing on a stump at the range. It's to bad one has to find time to work in there to.

I've included some pic's of some of the stuff i've built for myself, family & friends.

Wow! You make some really beautiful stuff. Do you sell any of the things you make? Got a website?

Do you forge or do you "only" (as if that's only) do stock removal for knives?

My passion in life (now relegated to hobby status) has always been music. I love jazz music and was fortunate to have been able to play in some great bands with some great musicians, most notably the Stan Kenton Orchestra. I've also developed an attraction to a bunch of unrelated hobbies that I tend to cycle through on a recurring basis. These include amateur radio, model railroads, RC planes and cars, astronomy, firearms and reloading, and now pipes. I used to do a lot of scuba diving when I was younger but have allowed myself to become unhealthy enough to safely pursue that sport anymore.

Kim

Hawker":3vex46uq said:
I like to hunt, fish, ride bikes & horses, read, built knives & do leatherwork, but my biggest passion/hobby is traditional archery & a good pipe relaxing on a stump at the range. It's to bad one has to find time to work in there to.

I've included some pic's of some of the stuff i've built for myself, family & friends.

Oh my :shock: what a talent you have brother :shock: Very nice knifes and very nice leather work :!:
Do you sell any of your work? I am very interested in some of your knife shapes and styles.

I don’t know how I haven’t posted my hobby (obsession) in here yet. :confused:

My hobby is tropical fish keeping/breeding. It's also how I make some of my living.
Anyways here ya go....a couple of pics and a YouTube vid for your consideration. The vid is old but the pics are new taken just a few minutes ago. :) Enjoy :)

A tank awaiting the next brood
imag0325.jpg
[/url][/img]
Severum and oddball tank
imag0326.jpg
[/url][/img]
The last of the baby Severums waiting to be sold
imag0327.jpg
[/url][/img]
The 180 gal stuffed full of African Malawi Cichlids (my show tank)
imag0328.jpg
[/url][/img]
imag0329.jpg
[/url][/img]

And one old vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tpIZZ1z03g

Mordechaj":bkohxx3w said:
Do you forge or do you "only" (as if that's only) do stock removal for knives?
I've forged some knives but most i've made are out of ATS-34 & 440C.

The Damascus ones in the picture i built out of old ski-doo springs (5160) Band saw Blades (L6) & O1 Tool Steel. The Bowie is 224 layers & the smaller drop point is 320. I found 320 layers to be a bit to much as the pattern isn't as vissable when it's that fine. Me an a buddy made a forge using a basket ball for a form & high temp cement with a squirel fan that works really well for building the damascus billets. Take about 6-8 hrs. on the forge to build a billet that you can get 1-3 knives out of depending on size.

Simple Man":6ura00mx said:
Wow! You make some really beautiful stuff. Do you sell any of the things you make? Got a website?
Thanks for the complement.

I thought once i should put a web site together to build stuff as a 3rd job ( i already farm & work in the oilfied) but this summer i made up some cards & set up a table at a bow shoot & i'm still trying to get done the orders from that before xmas. I axed the web site idea because it really took the fun out of a hobby when there was deadlines to meet and i was away from home working. I plan on doing knife & leatherwork when i get older and am in the process of building a new shop. But i learned that i can't getting orders out at a deadline won't work untill i'm retired.

Do you sell any of the things you make? "Only if your in no hurry to get it".

It's nice to know you make your own pattern billets. :)

I do hope you have a powerhammer though! :D

Mordechaj":267967dt said:
It's nice to know you make your own pattern billets. :)

I do hope you have a powerhammer though! :D
I picked up a power hammer at an auction in pieces, hoping it's going work when i get time to assemble it. Will probly have to make a few new bushings & such and find a motor for it.

Have been doing some by hand & also with a 50 ton press that really sped up the operation.

Do you forge? what are your favorite materials to work with. I've been having good luck with 5160 & 52100 bar stock.
I gave up on using used rusted metal to start with as it took to much time & belts to clean & prepare.

leftover421":2u1qqmf6 said:
Hawker":2u1qqmf6 said:

Oh my :shock: what a talent you have brother :shock: Very nice knifes and very nice leather work :!:
Do you sell any of your work? I am very interested in some of your knife shapes and styles.
Most of the knives i've made have been for gifts or trade, anvils, tools & such as most of the work i do is by hand. I havn't sold very many as they take 20- 40 hrs. to make depending on size & style. Once i get a few more tools and my shops done i hope to sell a few.

I haven't set up my forge yet, so I'm still just educating myself on the various forums.

Hawker your work is very beautiful! I would love to see the file work on the back of the blades.