What blends to give someone who wants to try Pipe Smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My top ones I would recommend are:

1. Sutliff Eastfarthing
2. C&D Autumn Evening
3. C&D Dreams of Kadath
4. C&D Billy Bud
5. Sutliff Mixture 79
6. Seattle Pipe Club- Mississippi River
7. Seattle Pipe Club- Plum Pudding
8. C&D Exhausted Rooster

Not all of these will keep the wife completely happy but most will. My wife likes the smell of the top three. But if you get him these it gives you a very good broad tasting so he can find him way. But from what you told of him Id say Billy Budd and Plum Pudding will probably be the ones he enjoys the most.

I was fine with your list till I got to Mixture #79. Worst tobacco I ever smoked. Tried a couple of bowls and threw the rest in the trash. Would definitely not recommend for anyone, especially a newbe, lol.

I have a fellow worker (occasional cigar smoker, no cig's) who would like like to give pipe smoking a try. I have converted two other fellow workers to the Brotherhood of Briar but they were easy since they hang around me all the time watching me smoke my pipe. This one works a different shift in the same department. Plus he wants something that keeps the wife happy while smoking. The question is; what have you given people to try when wanting to get into this hobby of ours. I am giving him a pipe (both briar and a cob), pipe cleaners and nail but was really curious of what your suggestions of blends you would have.
HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed.

He'll either convert after that, or never smoke again.

As they say in sales, qualify your prospects early.

Whether he's in or out, it'll be a legendary way to start.

🪦 Tombstone

While everyone has their preferences, I remember when I first started I hated english, burley, va/per, dark fried, etc. and only enjoyed aromatics.
That lasted for about 6 months (and I bought enough aromatics to fill tons of mason jars) and then I returned to burley, va/per, and dark friend.
I think most newbie pipe smokers would probably prefer to start with aromatics before graduating to more sophisticated blends, but thats just my opinion.

Devil's holiday by Dan tobaccos is a great one to start off with specialy if you're smoking in the house

Such an epic question Mike.
I really enjoyed to read all the posts made me wish I was just starting pipe smoking yum yum suggestions.
I would ask if he is pre diabetic? or type2 and has a sweet tooth like me?. If so any of the Cobblestone blends will be a better half pleaser, or even like my doctor says I have an unhealthy relationship with the bengal slices, and I say to her in the words of the late great maxwell smart, annnnnnd loving it!!!