What blends to give someone who wants to try Pipe Smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fellow worker (occasional cigar smoker, no cig's) who would like like to give pipe smoking a try. I have converted two other fellow workers to the Brotherhood of Briar but they were easy since they hang around me all the time watching me smoke my pipe. This one works a different shift in the same department. Plus he wants something that keeps the wife happy while smoking. The question is; what have you given people to try when wanting to get into this hobby of ours. I am giving him a pipe (both briar and a cob), pipe cleaners and nail but was really curious of what your suggestions of blends you would have.

Several ideas.

PS Cube Cut, Perettis DD,Wessex Burley Slice etc.
Something Burley with a minor topping. No bite, good smell, a decent amount of flavor.

A mild/medium English, like PS English Luxury,Pease Piccadily or C&D Yale Mixture. Good flavor yet not offensive in the 'aroma' department. Cool burning.

Penzance, Pirate Cake,Odyssey. Who cares what the wife thinks,he's a man and a man needs some flavors. :D. Probably ought not go this route for a home smoke yet. :D

Mikem, I would go with an aromatic... Blue Note... wonderful room note and a winner, according to my son.

:D Paul

Personally, I'd go with one of the sample packs from C&D, as you can mix-and-match C&D and Pease blends in a "one stop" transaction. I doubt he needs much in the way of nicotine, though, which would exclude a few of my faves, like Haddo's Delight or Old Joe Krantz! 8) He might like them, but I'd seriously wonder whether those blends might not be a tad strong for a beginner who doesn't smoke cigs -- they both carry a pretty respectable nic hit.
Anyway, I'd get him a five or eight-blend sampler with:

Morley's Best -- burley and latakia with a little bright VA, medium-strength with a great flavor and room note.

Epiphany -- This is C&D 's homage to the original Revelation blend. Top notch flavor, easy to smoke and most people seem to like the room note. It's hard to make it bite, so it's a good starter blend. In fact, I would think it's burning characteristics makes it excellent for beginners who need to learn packing, pacing themselves, etc.

Pegasus -- a traditional American smoke with burleys, Va and a hint of black Cavendish. Mild, semi-sweet and good burning.

Picadilly, Yale Mixture or Westminster -- I think any of these would make a good intro to English blends, though I think Picadilly might be easiest for someone just learning how to pack, light, etc.

Three Friars -- Va, perique and burley. Very flavorful, very smooth. Close enough to a Va/Per to give him an idea of the genre but easy to smoke and easy on the tongue.

If you get the eight-blend sample, I'd also add:

Barbary Coast -- cube cut burley and perique with a sweet liquor topping. It's very popular and VERY tasty without quite being an aromatic.

Odyssey -- The very first time I tasted a Balkan blend I fell in love with them, and IMHO this is the best out there right now.

Autumn Evening -- I think this is the best aromatic on the market (others disagree). It's maple flavored and made from an excellent Va-base, so he'll taste tobacco as well as the sweet stuff.

Also, some people might suggest Haunted Bookshop, which is a straight-up burley blend with hints (small ones) on perique and Va. For some reason, I've never been able to enjoy it at all (just tastes bad to me, which is kinda odd because I LOVE burley). Anyhow, this is a matter of personal taste. A lot of guys swear by it, so it might be worth considering, as well.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

Mike,

The C&D sampler is a good idea. A few of their blends I recommend including are:
#453 Woodstock Races a VA/oriental blend that's smooth, non-bitey, burns well, low nicotine and not too picky about packing

#456 Winchester a VA/burley blend similar to the previous as to qualities but more flavorful/robust

#457 Yorktown a predominately red VA blend that's a little spicier than the previous but with similar qualities

Rattray's Brown Clunee is another mild, non-bitey but flavorful VA that's easy to pack and burns well.

Habana Cigar Shop's "Trout Stream" is a nice non-bitey vanillaish aromatic that burns well with not a whole lot of humectant

I can provide samples of all but #457 if it would help.
Jim

In one word: BLWB. (Get it? It's really four words, but it's just one word. Because it's an acronym and all the words are in the same name.)

In another word: ERR. (Get it again? One word, but really three words... Oh, just forget it.)

mdmiller5":dmwl0j18 said:
I have a fellow worker (occasional cigar smoker, no cig's) who would like like to give pipe smoking a try. I have converted two other fellow workers to the Brotherhood of Briar but they were easy since they hang around me all the time watching me smoke my pipe. This one works a different shift in the same department. Plus he wants something that keeps the wife happy while smoking. The question is; what have you given people to try when wanting to get into this hobby of ours. I am giving him a pipe (both briar and a cob), pipe cleaners and nail but was really curious of what your suggestions of blends you would have.
Habana Premium Butternut Burley and/or Trout Stream.

"I have a fellow worker (occasional cigar smoker, no cig's) who would like like to give pipe smoking a try."

I would suggest a somewhat easy transition by giving him a tobac with something familiar to them (with the cigar leaf) such as GL Pease Robusto or Dominican Glory Maduro. I think there are too many of us who tried pipe smoking and did not take it up further due to the mildness of some blends. Comments like "nice flavoured smoke...but no nicotine" is all too common and return back to smoking cigars.

I got nearly turn off pipe smoking due to the mess aromatics leave the pipe, the pipe smoke turning rancid on me and a few blends do not taste anything like the promise when unlit....do it right first time :)

I used to smoke cigars. After hanging around Crofts Pipe Shoppe for awhile, they got me started on pipes. The first blend was some red VAs, some burly and just a bit of Optimum. It was mostly natural, with just a bit of flavor.

The first tin was MacBaren's Navy Flake. Mild and easy to smoke for someone learning to pack and puff. I've always said that NF was what I'd recommend to a new smoker.

Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce. Training wheels for pipe smoking.
No bite and almost no tobacco taste.
It is, however, quite enjoyable for what it is: a sticky-sweet aromatic. Everyone loves the smell, even SWMBO.

I know for me personally when I started. I was in a similar boat. (Cigar smoker but never cigs.) Lots of people were suggesting aromatics and burleys and lighter blends. I almost have up until I found a tin wiyh the artwork was a must have for me. More importantly after buying that tin the contents immediately grabbed my attention. It was perfect! That tin was frog morton which is obviously long gone but english blends are still my favorite. I prefer anything with latakia. I stopped smoking for a long time so I am still a novice but my opinion is if you want him to have the best experience I would try to give him a few samples of each category. (Aromatics, burley, Virginia, some with latakia etc) I think when one finds the right flavor profile it will speak to them quickly

If he wants to keep his wife happy while piping himself he could get her some pipes and find out what she would like. My wife tried a few tobaccos and settled on Peter Stokkebye's Aromatic Dutch Slices.
Perhaps he could ask his wife if she recalls a particular aroma or tobacco associated with fond memories. It is easier to recommend an intolerable tobacco than it is to find one's personal "Arcadia."
My experience is that if someone likes a particular blends aroma I will find it an off putting smoke. However I have enjoyed Old Gowrie without annoying SWMBO.
De gustibus . . .

I'd also suggest 1Q for a start. Then sample some aromatics and English. Personally, I think if I'd started with aromatics I would never have continued due to the bite.
1Q is a mild blend with a pleasing tobacco flavor and a very nice room note. Just aromatic enough to smell good without massive bite.

Ooops, I just noticed that this a very aged thread. I neglected to see that. How do I delete my post?

I'd also suggest 1Q for a start. Then sample some aromatics and English. Personally, I think if I'd started with aromatics I would never have continued due to the bite.
1Q is a mild blend with a pleasing tobacco flavor and a very nice room note. Just aromatic enough to smell good without massive bite.

Ooops, I just noticed that this a very aged thread. I neglected to see that. How do I delete my post?
S’okay. I do it, too. All-the-time.
Sometimes I get congratulative mail for resurrecting a thread.