What can I take on an airplane these days?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showme1or2

Reaction score
It's been a couple of years since I've flown with pipe and gear, but I remember I couldn't carry a lighter last time. Have there been any changes that might affect me carrying on a couple of pipes and a couple tins of (open) tobacco? I'm going to leave tampers behind.

Or, is it better to pack and check everything than carry-on?

(Flying American Airlines, if that matters)

Thanks,
showme

I'd check them just to save any possible hassle. It's a big enough pain when everything goes smooth. :lol:

Showme,

I always check a bag now when I fly and carry everthing that I want in the checked bag. Part of the reason for that is so I will have my pocket knives where ever I am going, even if it is just a one day trip. I am kinda anal about that. So, I go ahead and put all of my pipe stuff in the checked bag most of the time. They have changed the laws concerning lighters and certain lighters are allowed. Before they reversed lighter restrictions I carried matches with no problem. I have also carried on tampers and pipe tools without a probelm. There really isn't any need to take pipe stuff onboard as carry on anyway because you can't smoke anywhere. Unless you just absolutely do not want to check luggage.

Tampers with points, even if blunt, will be questioned if not taken away. I've had to show security my pipe cleaners, too. When packed in a bundle, it looks like dodgy electrical stuff in the xray machine.

Good stuff, guys. I appreciate it.

And thank you, too, TJ. I know I can always count on your support. Can I count on your bail money, too? 8)

You know, a pipe packed next to a tin of tobacco and a bundle of wiry pipe cleaners sure would look suspect on an x-ray machine.

showme

Showme,

Think about THIS at the airport.

You'll crack up out of the blue and be thought to be crazy.

Look around you.

They're everywhere.

They've been fooling security for years.

Old people.

With explosive devices.

Gets past the most sensitive of x-ray equipment.

Pernicious.

It's the rubber enema bag.

Try NOT to think of that at baggage check in. Betcha can't.

Here's my observations from working in the airline industry. Your mileage may vary. Anything of value I would take on your carry-on bag. Things have a way of growing legs and jumping out of your bags when it comes to the TSA searching checked bags, especially since you cannot lock your baggage up. Also keep an eye on them when they search your carry on baggage. It is a major problem with the TSA and stolen goods that they do not like to admit to the public. If you lose it they will "not" reimburse you. I have a next door neighbor here in Phoenix who use to be the Human Resources Manager for the TSA here in Arizona and he used to tell me all of the horror stories of the amount of people they would have to walk out the door because of theft. According to him it is even worse on the East Coast.

Tampers I would put in my checked baggage. Lighters are suppose to be okay for carry on now but even then, no torch lighters. If they do not recognize what kind of lighter it is they will confiscate it. Stick with matches or buy a cheap throw away when you get to your destination.

Showme, I see that you are still alive. Could it be that you are flying to Los Angeles and will bring me some cookies?

I would make arrangements to FedEx a package to a hotel. Nothing but clothing in the bags and a spare roll of toilet paper. I guess I would have to carry part of my meds.

But, I don't fly. I drive. Always.

TJ, I've always been suspicious of the older crowd. However, as most of them have acquired a nice collection of pipes, etc. I find myself trying to be kind to them in order to work my way into their wills. I've even gone as far as feeding cookies to more corpulent ones in order to hurry along....I mean increase the joy of their golden years.

Mike, I will certainly heed your advice. I'm glad to hear it and sad to hear it at the same time.

CP, I am not flying to LA, only to St. Louis. Perhaps I can get the pilot to do a fly-by and I will jettison something in your general direction. :twisted:

Carlos, I should have thought of posting my question a bit earlier. My family lives in St. Louis and I could have shipped everything there as I will be seeing them the first night. That way I could have shipped a nicer pipe than I plan on taking now. :(

showme

I fly a lot for business. I never check bags, even for a week long trip. And I almost always take my pipe stuff with me.

I have a small vinyl bag Microsoft gave me a few years ago (probably meant for toiletries and such). It has 3 zipper compartments. In 1 of them I put a pipe or 2 (normal sized), in another I put a small jar or bag of tobacco, and in the last I have about 20-40 cleaners, a Czech pipe tool, and a small, cheap Bic lighter. I never risk bringing my Zippo or anything I care about having confiscated.

I must have flow 20 or more flights since they re-allowed lighters last year and haven't so much as been questioned about any of it.

I say go for it. Don't bring your fancy tamper or lighter. Don't bring a torch lighter or any kind of knife. Don't bring 8 lbs of tobacco with you.

Happy travels.

-Andrew

We can take our pipes and pipe tobacco on the plane without concern.

Other accessories, however, may pose a problem with your local transportation security administration employee.

According to the TSA, butane lighter fluid is NOT allowed (both carry on and checked)... And if you smoke cigars as well, you'll be pleased to hear that cigar cutters are allowed (carry on or checked)... Read below for info from the TSA website on lighters and matches...

-- Common Lighters (Permitted in carry-on, NOT checked) - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

-- Torch Lighters (Not Permitted at all) - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned.

-- Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

I'm back, friends, and have nothing new to add to the conversation simply because I forgot my pipes!

Initially, I had a pipe, tin of baccy, and a lighter packed nicely in the checked luggage. After reading through tons of rules I felt confident that I could carry the stuff on, so I removed my gear, packed it into my pipe carrying case (along with a second pipe and one more tobacco) and planned to carry that with me in the carry on. Yep, planned is the key word there. I walked out of the house with my checked bag in one hand, carry on in the other, and pipe bag sitting on the humidor.

Yeah, that's how I roll. :cry:

showme

Those who do not pay homage to their pipe gurus by giving cookies, will have bad experiences.