What crazy mixes have you tried?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Stem

Reaction score
I suppose in a way I'm fortunate in that I'm what you'd call "fairly easy to please" when it comes to pipe tobacco. But I have stumbled on a few that I just didn't like. GLP Cumberland was one I didn't like. So I had a small sample that was sitting around getting dry. Since I found it sort of bitter, harsh, and now dry, I decided to "counter" that with something that was light, sweet, and moist. I mixed about 1/3 Frog Morton OTT with it and left it for about 2 weeks. Smoked some today and while it wasn't great, it wasn't too bad. More tolerable but not something I'd like to smoke on a regular basis. (I know GLP's gonna shit when he reads this).
Well, since I broke the ice with that one I decided to try another. I bought almost 2 pounds of Walnut (before I tried it) and was thinking of a good mixer for that. Since I found Walnut flat and flavorless I thought I'd try something with a big bold taste to mix with it. I tried some fresh bulk P.S. Balkan Supreme the other day and it was very bold and strong. So I mixed them about 50/50 and am smoking it now. Again, this is not great, but it's not too bad. A definate improvement of Walnut. If I tried this mix again I'd put more PSBS in it. Then again, if I can't use what I'm trying to dispose of at least 50% then what's the point? I think maybe something with some strong perique might work better next time.
Poke fun of me if you want, I don't mind. What are some crazy mixes you've tried and how did they work out?

I love to mix at 50/50 2015 and marlin flake and age it fir a short time. It really comes out great IMHO. There are a lot of mixes out there to rty and it is a lot of fun.

I like OJK from C&D but non smokers find it a bit hard
SoI mixed some Lanes 1Q with it and now we all are happy

I like the taste and they like the smell :cheers:

Here's my "crazy" mix for today:

2.8oz Tinderbox Aalborg
1.9oz Walnut
1.9oz Frog Morton
1.3oz P.S.Balkan Supreme
0.7oz Squadron Leader

The first three were ones I didn't care by themselves at all. Mixed up to 8.6oz total; 1.6 to puff on and cellared 7oz in Mason jar. I like it! Not my favorite by far but a good smoke. The Cognac base of the Aalborg, which by itself is a BAD tonguebiter, adds a nice peppery taste on the tongue now similar to Perique. Has a nice spicy Oriental/English flavor and leaves an almost minty aftertaste in my mouth. Anyone want to try a sample?

Basically this is not a bad idea... I call mine "hodgepodge" and there are likely many here who toss the remains of a pouch or tin in a container and let in accumulate and eventually smoke it.

The lesson is not to buy large quantities until we are fairly certain we will like the blend. But a secondary lesson is that by playing with blends, sometimes we can make it into an acceptable smoke, although it may not be the best.

My experience is that somehow, hodgepodge blends are not all that bad... especially in a cob doing yard work. :D

Yes, the Aalborg was a mistake from a few years back. The Walnut was a recent lesson. And the Frog Morton was a bit of a surprise; a 1997 tin I'd been saving. Neither of the three were ones that I could enjoy smoking by themselves. At least now I can. I still have too much Walnut and some more Aalborg for future experiments, along with a few other old drugstore blends from a few years back. I hate to waste anything if it's possible to use it.

Dave":wp9ht93q said:
I like OJK from C&D but non smokers find it a bit hard
SoI mixed some Lanes 1Q with it and now we all are happy

I like the taste and they like the smell :cheers:
What a waste of good OJK. :no: