What did they smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
We know that Einstien smoked Revelation...

But what about the other famous smokers of days gone by?

MacArthur?
Patton?

I can't help but think Walnut actually had tobacco in it 35 years ago.

Quoted from Richard Carleton Hacker's book "Rare Smoke",

"As might be expected, former president Gerald Ford smokes an American brand of pipe. His Kaywoodie is a Matte Grain, shape 149 and his favorite tobaccos are Walnut and Field and Stream."
In the book this is accompanied by a photograph of Gerald Ford smoking a bowl of Walnut in the Kaywoodie pipe.

J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis smoked Erinmore Flake most of the time.

Bing Crosby was supposed to make his own blend...

Specially cut cube Burley and deer tongue. An authentic copy from one of Bing's friends who blended it with him.
It's available from C&D and called "Crooner".

I've had a couple of oz. The Deer Tongue in it is quite overwhelming IMHO.

The frustrating part of the question is not knowing what most of those blends tasted like at the time. 50 years ago, many of the brands that are gunked-up drugstore tobacco today were probably pretty decent. I'm not even sure that OTC blends even have to contain more than 51% tobacco any more, of any quality... I know OTC cigars are largely treated/flavored/homogenized brown paper. (Gak)

In 1952, the original Disney Land opened in Annehiem, Ca. On "Main" st., they had a smoke shop that had Walts Private Blend AND Bing's smoke as well. NOW, you can't even find an ashcan there. In 1968 I took my "bride" there and everytime you stomped out a cigarrette, a Mousekateer would immediately sweep it up. I think, today, the smoke shop is a "head" shop.

Remember,,,,,,,,

Emm,

Eye,

Sea?

Big disappointment when I learned Annette wasn't a virgin.

What? Annette wasn't a virgin? Next you'll be telling me there is no Santa! :shock:

"Big disappointment when I learned Annette wasn't a virgin."

Yea, I've always felt bad about that, but it was a warm California night, we were both pretty drunk, and, well, you know how it goes.

:mrgreen:

Natch (aka Studly Mouse)

Natch":xyjciwlr said:
"Big disappointment when I learned Annette wasn't a virgin."

Yea, I've always felt bad about that, but it was a warm California night, we were both pretty drunk, and, well, you know how it goes.

:mrgreen:

Natch (aka Studly Mouse)
I had not idea you are that old Jeff! :lol: :lol: :lol: