WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a collector in the strict sense. Just have a few interests that seem to consume my energy and time, away from my career. They get proper attention in their own time and way-

Music
Pipes and 'baccy (duh)

Cheers,

RR

I don't consider it collecting, but I tend to buy just about every new ultra-lightweight backing thingamabob they come out with.  I've got almost 50 different packing stoves, enough titanium pots to outfit a major restaurant, more sleeping bags, pads, packs, boots than I will ever use in my life.  The list goes on and on.

Every time I see a new something that is 1/2 ounce lighter than the one I have, and look, it has a bottle opener and emergency canoe paddle built into it, I've just gotta have it.  My basement is filled with this stuff that after using it once, I realize it's crap, and my old whatever, works better.

Sometimes I think there are companies that think up and make this junk, knowing that there are few thousand fools like me, enough for them to turn a profit before the market for it crashes.   I hate this crass capitalism, but I sure support it as well.:roll: 

Natch

Natch, I think your on to something there my friend. I do believe garbage is made just to sell and not do anyone any good except for the people marketing the crap. It's a greedy little world we live in and there's a race to see who can get most of it.
I don't nor never have bought the needless new fangled gadgets. Oh, I own a used 15 year old digital camera cause I have a good use for it but only because film cameras are pretty useless nowadays. I have a PC that I built out of old computers but, no cell phone or any of those other gadgets that everyone seems to be nuts about. Heck 85% of my music is on either album, 8 track or cassette with a few CD's and I hear there outdated already. I live in the stone age for the most part and enjoy it. The only things I buy new is food (hate to see what used looks like), sometimes clothes when needed, occasionally a pipe when I can afford it and ammo because I'm too lazy to reload. Oh! and gasoline because I haven't a clue how to refine it. I never even purchased a new vehicle, the newest vehicle I've ever owned is a 80 pickup and before that it was a 76 Eldorado. The old stuff is just as good and most the time better then the new if one will just take care of it. Hell, I use to dig things out of the trash, bring them home, repair them with little effort most the time and then use them for 10 more years. People throw more money away nowadays then what I spend in a life time. Okay, I'm off on a rant again so I'll end this now.

I collect Tiki mugs and other Polynesiana... one of those novelties that just got out of hand. It makes for fun cookouts.

I'm also a bit of a clothes horse. For a long while I either justified it as a practical need, or browbeat myself for dandyism. Now I realize it's just another form of collecting, just one with an unusual cultural role. And as some wise men once wrote, every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man...

Doc Manhattan":42gmkjzn said:
I collect Tiki mugs and other Polynesiana... one of those novelties that just got out of hand. It makes for fun cookouts.

I'm also a bit of a clothes horse. For a long while I either justified it as a practical need, or browbeat myself for dandyism. Now I realize it's just another form of collecting, just one with an unusual cultural role. And as some wise men once wrote, every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man...
Nothing wrong with looking your best sir we all have our own priorities. Mine has never been slacks and ties or even shaving but, that's just me. As much trouble as I have with women folk I reckon I just figure not even fancy duds could help me, LOL!

There's a ton of cast iron cookware in my garage I stored there when my mother passed. Muffin pans, cornbread pans, skillets from 6 to 20 inches , dutch ovens, griddles. All sizes and styles collected from her family and many dating back to the mid 1800s. There they sit with little interest from the kids, they nuke nowdays.

I collect tokens. RR, subway, gaming, advertisement, bus, company script, premiums, commemorative, just about anything odd, weird and scarce.
Tokens for free samples of cereal, soap, tobacco, gum, and crackers from companies like general mills in the 30s.
They get tossed in a drawer forgotten or lost because they're not important.
They don't have much value but they're interesting to me.

mark":rxskvy2o said:
There's a ton of cast iron cookware in my garage I stored there when my mother passed. Muffin pans, cornbread pans, skillets from 6 to 20 inches , dutch ovens, griddles. All sizes and styles collected from her family and many dating back to the mid 1800s. There they sit with little interest from the kids, they nuke nowdays.

I collect tokens. RR, subway, gaming, advertisement, bus, company script, premiums, commemorative, just about anything odd, weird and scarce.
Tokens for free samples of cereal, soap, tobacco, gum, and crackers from companies like general mills in the 30s.
That's really sad. I love cast iron cookware and use mine all the time. I have a 6" and a 12" skillet. I'd like to find a good dutch oven in cast iron. My mum has a two burner griddle that's supposedly supposed to be passed to me someday. Yeah, it takes a little more prep to get them seasoned first, but boy are they worth the effort when it comes to cooking.

Briarbabe said:
mark":mrejq6za said:
Yeah, it takes a little more prep to get them seasoned first, but boy are they worth the effort when it comes to cooking.
Heck yeah they are! My momNlaw has one for her gastop that replaces the standard pot stands for half the stove, and I can make some mean bacon beer burgers on that thing! :twisted: 

Franciscan Starburst dinnerware
Fezzes
Vintage clothes
Sci Fi paperbacks
Ray Ban sunglasses

mark":pdvs3v0v said:

Mark, that is a shame your kids don't see the value of the Cast Iron but, it'll be a treasure for someone to find in time.
I'll have to keep you in mind when it comes to tokens. I've ran across a few within my boxes of "stuff". From the ole wooden nickles to the small metal tokens for bus lines. Your welcome to have them once I run across them again sir.

Harlock999":nprmsby2 said:
Fezzes
Vintage clothes
Sci Fi paperbacks
Ray Ban sunglasses
I remember seeing Franciscan Starburst dinnerware from time to time or like china. Looks to be 50's style with the stars and line design. That stuff was pretty popular for awhile but, as you know antiques and collectibles are crazy, going in and out of style per-say and prices jumping and falling. Not having collected the stuff for awhile I haven't a clue what's in and what's out nowadays. Bauer and Hull were my favorites and I seen those climb and drop. No matter though, I collected it all because I liked it and used it not based on it's value really.

I collect watches.  I've always had a fascination with them my entire life.  My collection has dwindled because I am focusing on quality over quantity.  I'm not in the realm of Rolex or Omega, but I do have some nice pieces.

Mozjo33":8w74kpid said:
I collect watches.  I've always had a fascination with them my entire life.  My collection has dwindled because I am focusing on quality over quantity.  I'm not in the realm of Rolex or Omega, but I do have some nice pieces.
Those are some nice one's sir. I collected some Camel watches for awhile LOL! But seriously I did but, that's about the limit of my pocket book and used coupons to get them. Love old pocket watches but, sadly can't afford to collect them either. But, I did finally find one reasonable enough to purchase to carry. After eons of wanting one I found a Waltham from 1906 with a silveroid case. Nothing fancy but, she's without cracks and runs fine.

Guess :

dsc00912.jpg

:face:

Briarbabe":ib1p73ij said:
Harlock999":ib1p73ij said:
POIDH, sir.
Here's the only Potentate's fez I was able to find during my fez phase.
This is one of about 150 or so...
dsc_0442.jpg

This is one of the most ornate fezzes in my collection.
The Mystic Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm
dsc_0810.jpg

dsc_0811.jpg

Well damn it, my thinly veiled ploy to see a pic of you wearing a fez didn't work.

Harlock999":b0p64rqy said:
Love that pattern/shape!

My wife collects china, and found a nearly-complete 6-piece basic set of Starbust, plus s&p shakers and coffee service at Savers... didn't know what it was but sank what turned out to be a smart $40 investment...