WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pepesdad1":hn3famoe said:
Since I just retired, I plan to collect dust.
See'en the old woman around here doesn't do it and my back doesn't allow it much anymore,
Dusting that is, I'm way ahead of you on that collection sir.
I tried collecting Farts but every time I'd try to add one to the collection the other one would escape from the jar. :scratch:

I have 5 guitars, collect baseball/sports cards, Christmas ornaments, and fishing gear.

Well I guess I never officially considered the drums that I own a collection, as they all get used either for recording, rehearsals or live performances but I guess looking at my inventory I do collect drums. I prefer non-pristine American made drums from the late 60's to early 70's (post Ringo craze) that are well played but still have lots of life.

I also collect garden gnomes, strangely enough. But I have higher standards in garden gnomes than I do drums.. :p

For about 30+ years I collected fountain pens, Parker 51's and Vacumatics and post war German pens. Then about 10 years ago they became an "in thing" to collect and prices went off the scale with pens that earlier would have been given away for parts bringing nearly mint condition prices now. But with a collection of over 200 pens it was about time to end anyway ! :twisted: :twisted: Now I just collect Social Security and aches n pains in my bones !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

huffelpuff":se61gge8 said:
Do broken noses count? If so I'm up to 8!

Jim
I've got one..........and I never let her hit me again.

Some sound advice.........stay out of arms reach! Wish it was that easy but alas no. Most of mine were from sparring. Never was very quick on my feet.

huffelpuff":c72a08lw said:
Some sound advice.........stay out of arms reach! Wish it was that easy but alas no. Most of mine were from sparring. Never was very quick on my feet.
Ya gotta remember to keep your head down and fists up, I only forgot once.

Knives, some small, pocket and larger. Old tools also. I find them at yard sales and sometimes at work. I drive a garbage truck in well to do areas and find all sorts of old tools and knives people are tossing. I like to clean the rust off them and put them back to work.

I collect tobacco labels in general ( pouches and paper tin label , cigar labels , cigar bands, etc.).

High end vintage side-by-side shotguns. Well, truthfully I don't collect these, but I'd like to. It's just that they're price prohibitive. I do have a couple of nice side-by-sides, just not of the vintage and grade that I'd prefer.

Now that I'm starting to accumulate a few pipes, price is an aspect that I'm appreciating. Unlike with the best shotguns which can run $50K and up, I'm finding that high quality vintage pipes can be affordable.

Right now I'm only collecting pipes and Doctor Who (classic series) dvd's, but I have nearly the entire run of Doctor Who now so who knows what is next.

I still have my record collection. Mostly 80's and 90's punk, hardcore, and metal with a good bit of 00's stoner rock and noise and some 70's psyche.

I still have some of my modular synth collection. Collecting modules was more expensive than pipes even when I learned to build my own. Played out in the local noise scene until I got married. Sold most of the modules I didn't build myself and all of my guitars, effects and most amplifiers when we seperated and I nearly lost the house.

Maybe I'll start collecting ex wives. Talk about expensive.

Wrinkles, bald spots, deceased family and friends, hats, memories, dental crowns, empty prescription bottles, shoes and boots...I also have many ukuleles, which I cannot play, but tried.

Used to collect, read buy, knives. Had close to a hundred st one time. From hunting to pocket and a few tactical, like a vintage usmc issue fighting knife and a Randall. Sold off a lot when I retired, still have maybe 30. I was able to gift my wife's son in law a matched set of vintage Schrade Old Timers last Xmas. All from the 70s and earlier. A fixed blade hunter, a folding hunter, and 3 pocket knives of varying size. All with bone handles and brass bolsters. All US made and much better steel than current models. Also had a Sears hunter with leather handle. Best hunter I ever had. Sharpen it well and I could skin out 3 or 4 deer before it needed resharpening. Favorite was a Boker pocket knife from the 20s given to me by my uncle when I turned 12. Had been sharpened so much the blade wad about half its original size.

Yo RD - I guess the late Sante Giuliani, aka Fishnbanjo, never saw this thread. He was a kindred soul who curated a world class collection of bamboo fly rods. In fact, given the synergy of pipe smoking and fly fishing, I'm surprised no one else popped on here to talk about his/her fly gear.

hp and tl
les

Wrinkles, bald spots, deceased family and friends, hats, memories, dental crowns, empty prescription bottles, shoes and boots...I also have many ukuleles, which I cannot play, but tried.
Now, brother, this is funny! Due to collect my next dental crown next week.

Haven't thought about this for a while. Guess, a side from pipes, I've got many old cameras. Not so much collected 'em as upgraded. Better'n'better film cameras, then upgraded digital SLR's and Point and Shoots. Also have a select group of firearms. Nothing spectacular, mainly an example or two from our various conflicts. My 1914 Brit SMLE is a favorite - couldn't guess how many conflicts that girl has been in!

The last few years I've put my other interests on hold until I get to a place with my pipes and tobaccos where I can relax and feel like I have a handle on it. Previously I collected pre-WWI European silver coins (roughly 1400-1900) and have a rather nice display in ebony cases. But in the last decade only one guest has ever said "Show me your coin collection" so it's hard to get motivated with nobody to share an interest with. Yeah, I've tried coin clubs but my particular niche is rather rare it seems. Happy to keep on with the pipes and baccy!