What do you do for a living

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have done a lot of things, from lawn care, redwood deck refinishing and a comic shop to several printing and design jobs. Printing and design has been the bulk of my professional career. I have worked in the traditional printing environment of a newspaper (pagination, prepress, tech support and related), a small poster company (design, customer service and related) a small in-house university printshop (prepress, design, press support and tech support).

Since I was laid off two years ago I have returned full time to college, am a freelance graphic designer and artist, research assistant to the philosophy dept., and, of course, tech support. Thankfully I can focus on my favorite type of tech support these days: Apple technology, rarely do I have to fix the printer connection for someones PC. Instead I teach people how to use their technology to the fullest and help them with problems and issues.

To sum up: Life long student and lover of learning. 8)

I spent twenty-two years in two US Armed Forces (Army and Navy), retired in 1994; worked as an armed security officer for 14 months, but got tired of watching recommendations I made disappear into a black hole somewhere and having to put up with young people who thought work was something they could do, or not do, as they pleased. Started my own business conducting pre-employment background investigations for local businesses in 1996. In April, 2012, I'll have been at it 16 years, now. It's not the most exciting job in the world (I got all that out of my system in the military), but it keeps body and soul together; my wife and I will have put two kids through college when our son graduates this May.

I just read that Jefe1037 and DrT999 graduated and taught at the College of Charleston, respectively. What a small world. I graduated from The College, as did my wife, whom I met there. We lived in Charleston for 8 years. Don't live there any more, but bought a townhouse in Mt. Pleasant and get back every chance we get. I was there from 1989 to 1998.