What do you do with dottle?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravel

Reaction score
Dottle: That wet mass of tobacco left at the bottom of your pipe.

I assume most people dump their dottle, but occasionally I am surprised by the guy who likes to dip his dottle. At least he doesn't dip someone else's dottle!

Conan Doyle wrote that Holmes saved his dottle every day and used the total as his fisrt bowl of the next day. Yikes!

Of course, Watson's and other's eyebrows used to rise pretty high I'll bet. But there are times when I sort of hate to stop re-lighting that bowl cause it's gotten just to the point of being the perfect flavor - and do stop only because I know I'll burn the crap outta myself. So saving the dottle might just be a good idea...kinda like what we used to do with the dregs of other bowls we used to smoke. The dottle in 'those' pipes used to produce quite the effect indeed. Hmmm. I feel a little experiment in the offing! Hello! The game is afoot!

I'd like to have resopnded with the first answer, but I don't usually get quite to the bottom. On the other hand, in my undergrad days, when I had $5 a week to spend on everything, the dottles got saved and ground up into a tin where all bits left at the bottom of pouches were dumped. By the end of the semester, I was smoking what was in the tin (outside, my suite mates put up with Captain Black, Granger, and the like, but wouldn't tolerate that mix)

And yes, I got the idea from the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Brewdude":3di9bqpy said:
Dump it, of course.

:roll:

Cheers,

RR
My favorite brewmeister who's brew I haven't had the privilege of trying, there is room at the table for all types. Different strokes and all that stuff.

But yeah, weird.

That's what I like about the people on this forum. All the wise-crack responses I could think of greeted me when I clicked on the topic. :D

I have a small pile of dottle in a flower pot on my deck. There are a few blends I have to force myself to stop smoking if I don't want to damage my pipes and myself.

Rob_In_MO":ymrwm1qp said:
Interesting poll, but gotta go with Judge Judy. :mrgreen:
Right on, when I read that original thread between Andrew and Kyle I blew ashes all over I was laughing so hard

If you pack & smoke it right, there isn't any to worry about.

If there is, let it dry for a couple hours or overnight & smoke it.

:cat: :face:

Yak":q189b9bg said:
If you pack & smoke it right, there isn't any to worry about.

If there is, let it dry for a couple hours or overnight & smoke it.

:cat: :face:
Well then, that sums it up pretty good.

I rarely have any dottle, such as it is. What is there isn't fit for smoking.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

I dump it, but lately I have been saving it to use as packing material in the dreaded Halloween bombing run. :bom: :p

Or perhaps I'll grind it up with some candy corns for that xtra special and festive fall snuff. :face:

DrumsAndBeer":dub02w6x said:
Or perhaps I'll grind it up with some candy corns for that xtra special and festive fall snuff. :face:
Delicious, satisfying, and economical!

Rob_In_MO":6e5fhmjb said:
Just you and me so far, Rob. :D

I love the dregs in the bottom of the bowl, so I just keep going until they're done. The smoke lets me know--if it don't light anymore, the bowl's done.

8)

Kyle Weiss":97v3zifd said:
Rob_In_MO":97v3zifd said:
Just you and me so far, Rob. :D

I love the dregs in the bottom of the bowl, so I just keep going until they're done. The smoke lets me know--if it don't light anymore, the bowl's done.

8)
I agree! I do that and haven't had any dottle in years ! :p

I don't usually pay attention to other pipesters' quandary with this "dottle" stuff. Do most people usually end the bowl and just dump out the last, what, 1/8th bowl? Is it consistent each time? How the heck would you know when it's time to stop, taste? Weight? Draw? *shrug*

Serious questions, here. Seems complicated. "Dottle" for me was just one or two pieces that I noticed stuck to the side of the chamber about mid-way up. :lol: I knock them off and eject them with the ash.

8)

With the C&D English-style blends I prefer this is rarely, if indeed ever, an issue.

But with the one match qualifier, I had to go with the Judge Judy option.

Hmmmm. The question has me wondering if I should start saving it. Same as I once wondered what would happen and how long it would take to save up a marble-sized blob of toe jam.

Kyle Weiss":xmdedgpd said:
I don't usually pay attention to other pipesters' quandary with this "dottle" stuff. Do most people usually end the bowl and just dump out the last, what, 1/8th bowl? Is it consistent each time? How the heck would you know when it's time to stop, taste? Weight? Draw? *shrug*

Serious questions, here. Seems complicated. "Dottle" for me was just one or two pieces that I noticed stuck to the side of the chamber about mid-way up. :lol: I knock them off and eject them with the ash.

8)
So, Judge Judy?