What Do You Do With Tobacco You Will Never Smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
For the past few years Mpls.-St. Paul has had a growing population of homeless who live in tent cities. Some of the tent cities are along the Mississippi Riverbank, others in local parks. For the last couple of years, I've bagged up quite a bit of tobacco that I know I'll never smoke, added some cigarette papers and dropped the bag at an encampment. One encampment was primarily populated by Native Americans and actually had a main organizational headquarters tent. I dropped off a large quantity of tobacco there and was told that the organization running the headquarters was a registered 501(c)3 and I could take a tax deduction for the donation. I didn't. By New Year's 2022, I hope to only have tobacco that I'll readily reach for to smoke. Anything marginal will be gone.

While my actions are no where near as charitable as yours, I give pipe tobacco and cigars that I will never smoke to my Brother - Jason. He's not picky and will take (and smoke) nearly anything I donate to him. Nothing wasted, kept in the family, and helped someone who currently has limited means.

I've already given away/donated any 'baccy I didn't like to those who did!! I still have 4 ozs. of GLPs Jack Knife Plug sitting on the shelf, hoping with some time & age on it I'll enjoy it!! FTRPLT

Very cool of you, RSteve. I know the area. It must be brutal at times.

I age it for another time, when I might possible have a shift in taste, or I blend it all together and make a bastard blend. I might have a total of 6oz, so it isn't worth shipping anywhere.

I usually hold on to them and if I happen to notice someone mention that they like that particular blend I'll try and find a way to get it to them. I just don't like throwing things away,