What do you write?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakebound

Reaction score
I've seen these subforums before on shaving and other pipe related forums. As a person who simply uses a pen to write checks and while at work, I have to ask:

What do you write with these pens? I see such a fascination with all of these different types of pens and for the life of me, I don't understand? Do you journal? Do you hand write all of your letters? Do some of you enjoy calligraphy?

I guess I would rather buy pipes and tobacco. But, I respect the fact that each one of us has a hobby. I just can't wrap my head around the whole expensive pen thing.

I look forward to learning why you gents enjoy this so much.

As far as what I write with my fountain pens, EVERYTHING, letters, forms. cheques et all. As to the reason I have collected over 300 foujtain pens over 40 years , as with pipes, I LIKE THEM !! As with pipes, each pen is diferent, ie. feel, color, type and feel of each nib, rarity etc. Same as with pipes! :twisted: :twisted:

And "What Do You Cut?" might be the name of another thread for asking the same of those who collect pocket knives, myself included. I don't really consider myself a collector, but there does exist a drawer full of knives that I'll never use. Wonder how they got there? I must have lost control of myself once or twice, I'm thinkin'. And why do I have, say, 60 pipes and smoke 10? Life is full of mysteries. And then you die.

And on that note, I'll defer to those who actually can answer your question...

monbla256":2ub4k9ii said:
As far as what I write with my fountain pens, EVERYTHING, letters, forms. cheques et all. As to the reason I have collected over 300 foujtain pens over 40 years , as with pipes, I LIKE THEM !! As with pipes, each pen is diferent, ie. feel, color, type and feel of each nib, rarity etc. Same as with pipes! :twisted: :twisted:
Thought you kept an actual daily journal, Mr. Monbla256? Unless I'm mistaken. I remember being envious.

I guess my love for ink started when I took a Drefting class in high school. Then in Art & Architecture classes at university. Then as a Fine Arts major for post bac work. I don’t write letters, I write stories and pieces of stories. And I use pens and inks for drawing and sketching.

Below isn’t mine, but it’s germain.

I have a cigar journal that I record my thoughts about most of the stogies I smoke. It's really more of an excuse to use a fountain pen and a fancy notebook, because I rarely look back through them.

Ocelot55":otmee92w said:
I have a cigar journal that I record my thoughts about most of the stogies I smoke. It's really more of an excuse to use a fountain pen and a fancy notebook, because I rarely look back through them.
To many, the act of writing is not so much to produce something to go back and read as it is an opportunity to process and ponder the topic at hand. Perhaps one of those things where process is more important than product.

When I was working, I used fountain or dip pens all the time for my signature on forms. But at times it was much more than that. People all over the state of Illinois got to see my work, because it's all I used. Now that I am retired, I still take every opportunity to use a fountain pen. Ham Radio QSL cards, Sudoku. Whatever I can come up with. I am the treasurer for a small special use district. They get treated to my handiwork. So did the township when I was a trustee.

With a ballpoint pen, you have one choice of blue. Or black. And that choice was already made for you. With fountain pens, you can choose from dozens, or perhaps hundreds of blue. Some so blue it hurts your eyes to look at it. :shock: Or blue/blacks. Do not fancy a blue. Want a washable black. They got that. Or permanent. Browns. Reds. You name it, there is a color out there in multiple shades. And shading effects, so that it appears to change shade depending on how much ink got onto the paper.

Then add the fascination of what various nibs on pens can do. Not just calligraphy. But ink on paper that is interesting to read. And everyone's hand is a bit different. So a stub nib in Blackhorse's hand may look as if he were an artist. While in my hand it will look like Tic Tac Toe.

It's an eccentric thing to do, that is pleasing to the eye. Properly maintained and cleaned between fills, a fountain pen is a forever pen.

40 plus years ago when I started collecting fountain pens as an activity besides using them to write with, we, those who collected pens, used to use them to write and communicate with one another. Theses were in the pre web days before we all got Googled and knew everything about them, we shared info that we had researched about them with other collectors by WRITING to one another. Gave us a reason to use our pens and find out the way various makes and their nibs wrote. I still write regularly with 6 collectors world wide and have for over 30 years now. We write about more than just pens now, having become friends and even though we all use the web, we don't use it to communicate with. You learn a lot about these writing instruments when they are used regularly. As a side note, I was an Architecture major in college and learned my ink drafting pre Rapidograph days when one used ruling pens to do ink work. I used my first Rapidograph when I went to work for an architectural firm 40 years ago. My collecting focus has been mostly been pre and post war (ww2) German fountain pens, which are still made as writing tools by about 3 firms in Germany, Sadly one of the major firms produces mainly pocket jewelry these days. JMHO about pens. :twisted: :twisted:

Thank you for all of your responses. It has given me a great perspective into this hobby. Is there a particular style of pen that someone like me could try that would be portable? Meaning, is there a pen that writes very well and that I could keep in a shirt pocket for work?

What would you recommend please?

Navyflake":7hojlsjb said:
Thank you for all of your responses. It has given me a great perspective into this hobby. Is there a particular style of pen that someone like me could try that would be portable? Meaning, is there a pen that writes very well and that I could keep in a shirt pocket for work?

No expert here, but a Lamy Safari has served me well over the years. It's the only fountain pen I use daily. The others just lie around looking pretty.

+1 for the Lamy Safari.

I own three that I keep inked up with different inks and nib sizes. I've had very few problems with mine, they're affordable, and built like a tank.

Navyflake":mwj3ebfj said:

You didn’t mention your budget. It makes a difference. In ascending cost here’s what I would recommend...re PENS. The nib is a natter that is sort of side by side - and depends on what you would be doing with the pen...what KIND of writing. If you want a general writer I’d say get a medium nib. If note taking and/or writing in small areas I’d say a fine. If you want a cool “line” on the page, and more forvsignatures I say a stub nib.

But really the pen...note they all come in black...and lots of colors.

Lowest cost for a really solid pen goes to the Pilot Metropolitan...$18.50

Moderate cost for universally appreciated pen is the Lamy Safari...$30.00

Same as the regular Safari but metal is the Lamy AL Star...$37.50

Up from there you’re into $50 - $100 which seems a bit excessive for just trying something out.

Note: both Lamy and Pilot require proprietary cartridges (if you want to start out not using bottles of ink) so Lamy pens require Lamy cartridges, etc. Other brands might accept “universal international” cartridges.

Where to buy? I’d look at both the Goulet Pen site and Jet Pens online. Both are really solid, have a huge selection of pens & inks and are totally OK. Jet Pens does free shipping over $25.

If you don’t want to buy something I would send you one or two pens to try out. PM me your address and I’ll dig a couple out of my “new but unused Chinese pen” drawer. Chinese pens are a whole world unto themselves. I have lots. Most are really quite fine...but quality control is a bit lower than with western products.

Anyway, that’s my long winded story. Good luck.

The Lamy is very affordable. But if you look around, there are a number of pens very affordable. I do not hate the Lamy line. But dislike the looks and feel. Just not for me.

I love the looks of pre-war (WWII) Parkers. Nice feel. But do not hold a lot of ink. Visconti are a modern pen in just an unreal amount of options. Something I learned. was, that older pens seemed to have nicer writing nibs. Unless they wrote like a nail. But nibs can be worked on.

My first Pelikan is a 1955 140 with a flexible M nib. I think it cost me a little over a hundred bucks. It is close to the perfect pen for me. Holds a generous amount of ink. Is not fussy to fill like some other makes can be. The flexible nib makes writing fun. Modern Pelikan nibs, although very smooth. Do not seem to have that character. I have had to send them off for a little nib work. I use my Pelikans all the time.

Japanese Sailors are very nice. 1960's Pocket Pens could occupy a person full time. Very nice writers. If one likes fine lines. Superb feel and looks. Nice colors. Many with 18-24k gold. Japanese fine is like ultra fine for anyone else.

Some people collect only Parker 51's. There are all sorts of fountain pens out there. If you are one of those people who collect things. You may find something in fountain pens that draw you.

Also, check out Pendemonium. A simple search will find them. Sign up for their email newsletter for the latest deals. Anything collectible goes through their hands at some point. Deals! Lots of deals. New, old, ancient. They do the shows, so always something new to see. Some exclusive inks. Nice folks.

Thank you gentlemen! I really wish that I knew how to multi-quote posts to thank each of you separately. I'm leaning toward an everyday writer to begin with. I'll be travelling extensively this month so, I may wait to order something near the end of March to try out at work.

I must confess, and I'm sure that it's something that you gentlemen already know; handwriting is a dying craft. And as a nostalgic person, I feel obligated to try and keep it going. I really appreciate the thoughtful posts and pictures here Men.

Best regards,

Navyflake":mvh3pof7 said:

First off, be careful with using a fountain pen at work. Many folks are what i called "pocket pickers" grabbing any pen they saw out of folks pockets to "....jot this down" and a good nib can get damaged by some ham fisted idiot, or cap threads get stripped by them trying to yank the cap off like on a felt tipped pen instead of unscrewing it. I know as it has happened to me over the years. I got used to saying no to folks who wanted to use my fountain pen!!!!!
As far as a good pen, your choices are very varied depending on how you want to write and of coarse how much you want to spend! Myself I am a user of vintage pens with flexible solid gold nibs which suit my style of writing, For general office work my choice for an all around "office pen" would be a Parker '51' with it's firm tubulor gold nib from the mid 60s. They came in a variety of barrel colors and cap finishes from SS to gold filled. Price wise your looking at btwn $100 - $150. in todays market from a good pen dealer such as Pendemonium in Arizona ( a family owned firm that I've dealt with for 20 years now and still do to this day. Hope any of this helps! :twisted: :twisted: