What do your wives think of pipe smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine would rather I not smoke anything, but isn't a nag about my pipes. She even buys tobacco occasionally for birthday gifts etc. She doesn't care for the lat blends, and after a brief honeymoon period with lats I don't really get into em myself. For an ex cig smoker she is very tolerant of my collection and smoking. :D

My wife likes the smell. She even tried it once or twice because she knows I love it. It wasn't for her. Luckily, she doesn't mind that I do it. She worries for my health though.

Depends, mainly on what mood my good lady is in.

I only ever smoke outside. Sometimes it will evoke a 'yuck' and other times I'll get 'blow some of that my way'. The later is normally when we're getting eaten by midges (little biting critters) when we're at the outlaws' place in the mountains in Wales.

And sometimes she'll prompt me even before the thought of having a pipe has crossed my mind. We'll sit on the garden bench together, sharing a glass of wine amongst wisps of a favourite blend.

Yup, depends what mood she's in. :|

I smoke in my house, car, or wherevever I am and though she'd prefer I didn't smoke at all she doesn't nag or gripe about it. Wouldn't do any good if she did. :)

AJ

Stick, I think that about sums it up: "It depends on what mood she's in!" :lol:

My wife thinks it's great, and she actually buys me more pipes than I buy myself. She used to go to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint almost daily to be taught about pipes and tobacco by Paul himself, back in the 70's. She would go there after her work and talk to Paul while she waited for me to get out of work and stop to pick her up. We just had our 46th wedding anniversary and she still enjoys a trip to Paul's to talk to his kids, Dan and Jan who now run the store. And to look at pipes, of course. She has already done some early Christmas shopping there!

Buckshot":x20sqyl6 said:
My wife thinks it's great, and she actually buys me more pipes than I buy myself.  She used to go to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint almost daily to be taught about pipes and tobacco by Paul himself, back in the 70's.  She would go there after her work and talk to Paul while she waited for me to get out of work and stop to pick her up.  We just had our 46th wedding anniversary and she still enjoys a trip to Paul's to talk to his kids, Dan and Jan who now run the store.  And to look at pipes, of course.  She has already done some early Christmas shopping there!
Clone that woman!  ;)

Buckshot":gultp3hr said:
My wife thinks it's great, and she actually buys me more pipes than I buy myself.  She used to go to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint almost daily to be taught about pipes and tobacco by Paul himself, back in the 70's.  She would go there after her work and talk to Paul while she waited for me to get out of work and stop to pick her up.  We just had our 46th wedding anniversary and she still enjoys a trip to Paul's to talk to his kids, Dan and Jan who now run the store.  And to look at pipes, of course.  She has already done some early Christmas shopping there!
Gosh, until I read this I wouldn't have thought it possible.

I will personally see to it that this fine lady gets a mention in Dispatches.

She hates it! If I happen to break the pipe out two nights in a row I get a heavy eye roll, some kind of a guilt trip, and a, "really, again!? Two nights in a row... you're addicted!"

And always asked to shower after...

Thought I'd update since my previous reply to this thread. My wife has gone from giving me dark looks when I grab a pipe to encouraging me to add pipes to the collection! Must be psychological trauma from living with me too long..... :lol!:

Charles, I doubt she's trying to kill you off lol. More likely is you have found a blend or two that she secretly enjoys the smell of. Couple that with the obvious enjoyment you get from your pipes. I think you may have won a convert.

Jim

Not married so no wife to answer to or apologize for being myself! One learns fast from a mistake. Your always there when they need you but if/when the table turns.... boy can they run....lol

As long as she doesn't have to smell the smoke, which bothers her, she tolerates me.

The only places I smoke are either in the garage, in my man cave with the exhaust fan on, or outside on the patio. I don't smoke in the main part of the house. I know she doesn't like it or like me smoking but she puts up with it. She usually has a little dig every now and then like..."What's burning?" or "Hey Stinky I know you are down there!" Otherwise, she doesn't complain about it.

I smoke indoors during the day while my wife is at work. Before she gets home I'll do a bit o' cleaning, light a wax melt, and start supper. She seldom notices the pipe smoke and if she does she doesn't say anything because I have the house so welcoming for her. In the evening I smoke on the porch. She actually doesn't mind the smell of pipe smoke though unless it becomes too much (think Sherlock Holmes).

My bride of 34 years is supportive. I normally smoke outdoors but she has never once, complained about my hobby. She knows full well that smoking a pipe helps me to relax.

WoW zombie thread. Where did all those guys go!

mrslax puts up with it and takes some pride in the collection. Moderation is the key to a happy pipe friendly home. Since the kids are grown she goes to many pipe show with me every year. :shock:

My wife has never said anything one way or another, but Ive been smoking since we met 20 years ago. I smoke inside and every once in awhile she will tell me something doesn't smell too good, but its rare. I don't branch out too much from my regular tobaccos