What have you never tried?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsu92john

Reaction score
I'm not talking about stuff that went out of production in the 1920s or obscure blends not imported to your country of residence. I mean the tobaccos everyone but you seems to have smoked, but which you (for whatever reason) have not.

I'll go first with a few that come to mind:

1. Stonehaven
I smoked Penzance and Dunbar regularly back around the turn of the millennium, but I never branched out beyond those into other Esoterica offerings. By the time I decided Stonehaven was something I would like, it had become impossible to obtain. I almost scored some a couple of months ago. One of these days, I will.

2. Christmas Cheer
I've never had the desire to try these annual releases. The last thing I need is to fall in love with something that is definitely going to be in limited supply.

3. Most of the GLP catalog
I've been decidedly underwhelmed by the few Pease tobaccos I've tried (Haddo's Delight, Cairo, and Navigator). I don't feel motivated to work my way any further through his catalog. Others obviously disagree; chacun à son gout.

fsu92john":zzm2yse3 said:
I'm not talking about stuff that went out of production in the 1920s or obscure blends not imported to your country of residence. I mean the tobaccos everyone but you seems to have smoked, but which you (for whatever reason) have not.

I'll go first with a few that come to mind:

1. Stonehaven
I smoked Penzance and Dunbar regularly back around the turn of the millennium, but I never branched out beyond those into other Esoterica offerings. By the time I decided Stonehaven was something I would like, it had become impossible to obtain. I almost scored some a couple of months ago. One of these days, I will.

2. Christmas Cheer
I've never had the desire to try these annual releases. The last thing I need is to fall in love with something that is definitely going to be in limited supply.

3. Most of the GLP catalog
I've been decidedly underwhelmed by the few Pease tobaccos I've tried (Haddo's Delight, Cairo, and Navigator). I don't feel motivated to work my way any further through his catalog. Others obviously disagree; chacun à son gout.
OK I'll play. But first a clarification-

I'm a devotee of Stony, CC, and several of the GLP blends- Haddo's and Cairo to name a few.

CC is mostly always available from most vendors, depending on the year. Stony is hit or miss but it's out there if one is vigilant. And GLP is pretty much always there with few exceptions on the newly released blends.

All that notwithstanding (and not to disrespect your personal preferences), I only have a very few I'd still like to hook up with. Namely-

Wessex Brigade Campaign
Astley's No. 44  Dark Virginia Flake
Butera Kingfisher

The above seem like they would be right in my wheelhouse, based on the reviews and descriptions.

But........I hasten add that this is most definitely not a request for trades or samples. Frankly I'd prefer to wait until I can get in a tin of each of them when they once again are available.

Cheers,

RR

In my case it would be easier to tell ya what I have smoked.
But, to answer your question, what ya got?

About 90% of the blends discussed on this forum.

(In answer to the title, not Cart above.)

Blends I've not smoked but should be on my list.
Gl Pease Fog city series (other than Fillmore which I like.). McClelland Mature Virginia series (other than #24 which I've had and quite like.) Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. There's two or three McClelland bulk blends (red Virginia, Virginia flake, Virginia flake with Perique) which I forget the numbers but people talk about them endlessly. It's weird trying to come up with a list of the tobaccos I've been omitting for no reason. There's probably more.

Well, I have about 40 in my cellar I haven't tried yet, but other than those, of the many many hundreds of other blends more or less available in the US, I can't think of any I particularly want to try. There are a few UK-only I wouldn't mind trying for kicks.

Of course, something new might pop up at any time!

In all the years of my pipe smoking (I won't mention how many as it will p**s some folks off  :twisted: ) I've smoked a lot but there are some in particular that I can remember such as MOST of the OTC blends available in Europe, NONE of the My Mixture blends that used to be available from the mixture book at the old Dunhill store in London, most of GLP's blends/mixtures as the few I've tried just were not to my liking, most of C&D's blends/mixtures for the same reason as GLP's . With as many other blends/mixtures still available it would be hard for ANYONE NOT to have tried some  :twisted: :twisted: 

Bunch of the OTC's

1. Mixture 79  :twisted:... Is this stuff as bad as people say it is?
2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel

Did I mess up? I was listing things that appear in my taste but just haven't tried yet for no good reason. I could make a much longer list of things I'll never try for a good reason. Almost every latakia blend. Just can't get into it so I've stopped trying.

1- Stonehaven is quite good, and I have about a 1/4 pound still cellared

2- CC I enjoyed...one of the best McClelland VA offerings, and McClelland does good VAs. It's not really that limited. You can find it much of the year.

3- I've smoked a pretty good crosscut of Pease's blends, and have come to decide that to me, what he does best is work with latakia. His lat blends are by far the most flavorful on the market IMO, with Osyssey and Chelsea Morning being my favs.

DrumsAndBeer":vt5vpyoo said:
Bunch of the OTC's

2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel
1) to my surprise, yes
2) (not sure about 4 & 5) find quickly, as it is no longer in production, but there are likely still some tubs around

Here's 4 I haven't tried because they're new but I'm super curious about.
Savinelli's new Brunello flake and Doblone D'Oro.
C&D's new Chenet's Cake & Oak Alley.

DrT999":tqx065m1 said:
DrumsAndBeer":tqx065m1 said:
Bunch of the OTC's

2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel
1) to my surprise, yes
I think that's a matter of Opinion.

Cartaphilus":pj944mfi said:
DrT999":pj944mfi said:
DrumsAndBeer":pj944mfi said:
Bunch of the OTC's

2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel
1) to my surprise, yes
Well, if you like it, more power to you.  8)  I really didn't; what surprised me was how much I didn't.

DrT999":agbbvufx said:
Cartaphilus":agbbvufx said:
DrT999":agbbvufx said:
DrumsAndBeer":agbbvufx said:
Bunch of the OTC's

2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel
1) to my surprise, yes
Well, if you like it, more power to you.  8)  I really didn't; what surprised me was how much I didn't.
Neither did I , God awful stuff!
Too early without coffee when I posted my first answer, though you meant it was good, Duh!

Cartaphilus":g2eg0s9s said:
DrT999":g2eg0s9s said:
Cartaphilus":g2eg0s9s said:
DrT999":g2eg0s9s said:
DrumsAndBeer":g2eg0s9s said:
Bunch of the OTC's

2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel
1) to my surprise, yes
Too early without coffee when I posted my first answer, though you meant it was good, Duh!
I thought as much, considering the emoticon, but I didn't want to presume! Still, lots of people must like it, since it still sells!

Good lord, my list would be HUGE, I just had a quick glance at the blends on TR and a massive amount of them are in the "haven't tried them" list.

DrT999":d6pgfj24 said:
Cartaphilus":d6pgfj24 said:
Cartaphilus":d6pgfj24 said:
DrumsAndBeer":d6pgfj24 said:
Bunch of the OTC's

2. Walnut
3. Prince Albert
4. Half & Half
5. Sugar Barrel
1) to my surprise, yes
I thought as much, considering the emoticon, but I didn't want to presume!  Still, lots of people must like it, since it still sells!
Yeah, I reckon your right! As things go I think we all have our own preferences and I don't think anyone's taste buds are entirely the same. I reckon that's half the reason there are so many good selling different tobaccos on the market.
But then, if I was never wrong, nobody would be able to point it out.

Mixture No. 79 needs to be cut with PA or something, in my opinion.  It is soapy beyond belief when uncut, and is hell on your tongue.  Why smoke it at all?  Well, it has a bowl aroma like no other, and you can get used to its soapiness after a while, to the point where you kind of crave the flavor.  (The old Bond Street had a similar quality.)  I believe it was Hugh Hefner's favorite at one time.  It was never mine, and it's been decades since I've smoked any, but just thinking about it makes me retro-curious.  Think I'll order some from 4Noggins just for the nostalgia and the hell of it.

hh10.jpg
" />