What have you used as a makeshift tamper?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max1a

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious index finger, I have used of all things: a AA battery, a large carrage bolt (big Winslow FH), and a tie bar.

A whole slue of diffrent brass .357 to .338, out in the woods once I lost my nail and carved a stick to work. Some sort of tube from my girlfriends makeup (she is none the wiser).

The larger 3" Golf Tees are my favorite, one end is a great tamper, and the other a nice pick to remove the ash and any unburnt tobacco. The best part is that they are super cheap, about $4.50 for a pack of 60 in my area, at Wally-Mart.

Large nails are okay, shell casings are good (.270, 30/30, .762 Nato, .223 and so on), and small / medium size Door Hinge Bolts are even better. A 3/8" wood doll-rod, cut in 3" lengths and sanded smooth at the ends, also works real well.

Johnny

Oddball":jlfcg377 said:
A whole slue of diffrent brass .357 to .338, out in the woods once I lost my nail and carved a stick to work. Some sort of tube from my girlfriends makeup (she is none the wiser).

Don't use a live round by accident. :shock:

For what ever it's worth, I use my well calloused right thumb for the initial tamp after the charring light followed by light tampings with my ring finger the majority of the time. Since I do a lot of hunting, fishing and walking where beavers are present, I sometimes use a beaver chewed stick for tamping especially when I've packed flake tobaccos a little too tight.

My "fancy" non-typical tampers include hand cut revolutionary war era nails, rifle (.45-70, 338-06) and pistol (.45 and .38 ) shell casings, and golf tees.

Jim

.45-70 GVT works real well. .45 Long colt is a little short, but it works. I usually have a tamper around. Hand-carved, wood, ivory, or deer antler. A few pipe nails.

I use the end of a Bic Roller Pen when a pipe nail/tool is not handy. I use my index finger if smoking a pipe while driving. Carlos, I shoot and reload 45-90 so I will have to give one of those shells a try.

ive actualy used rocks.. here we have alot of flint rocks that ocasionaly ive found a few about 4 inches long and around 3/4s a inch wide. also I use a sight surveyors nail, Beer bottle opener a spark plug.

I'm with Johnnyflake,

I pick up a 10-pack of 2.5 inch wooden golf tees. I look for the ones with the skinny shaft, as these will work adequately for a pick. I keep a few in numerous places I might smoke.

I have used the bottom of the round Imco lighters, a bic pen, a little golf pencil, a nail & a thin wooden dowel.

TC

I don't play golf, but once at an auto repair shop I picked up a free golf tee with advertising printed on the side. I use it sometimes as well as a finger or an ink pen.

LtMac