What is a good brand of dress shoe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in dress shoes as I haven't sold the corporate powers that be that sneakers are appropriate in the office. I own Edmonds, Cole Haans, and Johnston and Murphy's. you really can't go far wrong with any of those choices. I also own a pair of Bacco Buccis that I am quite fond of. Everything mentioned already is spot on: the Haan's are holding up shockingly well (I probably wear these more than any of the others), the Edmonds always feel like pure quality, and the J&Ms are the most eye-catching (really sharp looking). I do recommend the purchase whichever way you go. Best of luck.

depends on what you mean by 'dress'.. for an everyday suit wearer in the corp world the Alden's would be a very good choice. I bought a pair of these many years ago and they just keep looking better and better with age.

alden.994.b.jpg

riff raff":v3p3q87r said:
Hmm, no offense, but if I spend that kind of money on a pair of shoes, I wouldn't want cemented construction. I like a sewn on sole, which can be resoled. I have a pair of Florsheim wingtips (pebble grain) that have been resoled four times ($40/resole, I switch from leather to oil-resistant rubber for working in restaurants). I'm brutal on my shoes and can wear out a pair of leather soles in 6 months to a year. I can usually find Nunn-Bush or Florsheim wingtips on sale at the "back of the rack", etc. at shoe outlets. I bought a pair of Florsheims at JC Penny's this past February, they were $165 on sale for $19. I didn't think too long about that deal.
I thought Florsheim was just a brand "name" now with the original manufacturer long gone. Ditto Nunn-Bush. And both hardly of the same quality of the "old days". I could be, and probably am, wrong.

Bullwinkle":petovagw said:
depends on what you mean by 'dress'.. for an everyday suit wearer in the corp world the Alden's would be a very good choice. I bought a pair of these many years ago and they just keep looking better and better with age.
Dress shoes are defined by their minimalist nature.
The less brogue, the more dressy
the smoother the leather, the more dressy
Black is most dressy of all colors
Blucher vamp (derby) shoes are less dressy than Balmoral vamp(oxford in UK)

The jist of it all is the cleaner the lines, shape and leather, the more dressy. In the business setting, you can get away with some brogueI and color variations and even certain Blucher vamp shoes.

Oh and avoid square toe, at all cost!!

Bullwinkle wrote:

Dress shoes are defined by their minimalist nature.
The less brogue, the more dressy
the smoother the leather, the more dressy
Black is most dressy of all colors
Blucher vamp (derby) shoes are less dressy than Balmoral vamp(oxford in UK)

The jist of it all is the cleaner the lines, shape and leather, the more dressy. In the business setting, you can get away with some brogueI and color variations and even certain Blucher vamp shoes.

Oh and avoid square toe, at all cost!!

thanks for the education which btw i already knew. my question was to the OP as to what he thought were dress shoes and how he planned to wear them. To some of the retards where I have worked anything leather with shoe laces were considered dress shoes. back when I interview guys for IT positions they would show up in suits and the worse dirty shoes you could imagine. never polished, heels worn. dude if they couldn't take care of their shoes how could we trust them to take care of our multi million dollar mainframes.

Late to the game, but I, too, wear dress shoes every working day. I agree whole wholeheartedly with the recommendation of Allen Edmonds and Alden. If they won't fit into your budget Johnston and Murphy does have a few higher end lines that are worthwhile, but be wary they make many different lines, and quite a few of them are garbage.

I do a lot of walking - I walk to and from my train (rather then driving to the station) and I walk to all of my court appearances in Philadelphia (I prefer not to take cabs) - so I burn through soles pretty quickly. I resole my black shoes at least once a year but I get a bit longer out of my browns. I have a pair of J&M black captoes that I just absolutely beat up, but I keep having them resoled and keep them in the rotation. They have held up every bit as well as my AEs.

I have had a couple pairs of Cole Hahn shoes in the past, but I found that they were not worth the price they sell for. They are an average shoe at best.

I own one pair of shoes--artificial leather black sneakers that I paid $65.00 for 18 months ago. They're going strong:). $500.00 for a pair of shoes? For me that's 8 pipes or a shitload of tobacco. I guess you can see where my money goes;).

Like everyone else said, the best long term bang for your buck is Allen Edmound.  I always favored eye-talian shoes, they're lighter, and all feel like slippers, but still look good, but they don't last.  I burn through soles.  I work in a leather soled world, and now can't (in my own head) be seen in rubber soles during business hours. 

My AE's on the otherhand, not as comfortable, but if they had mud tread on them I'd wear them to war.

I own mostly Alden and Allen Edmonds. Brooks Brothers sells Alden shoes under their own label. The Alden will run you $350-$500, but will last and last. You can send them to Alden for heels and soles, and they will also rebuild the shoes if needed. I believe that Allen Edmonds offers the same service. I just gave away a pair of Alden shell cordovan loafers that I had for 25 years. If you are going to wear nice shoes every day, you need several pair to alternate, and the shoes will last and last. Don't forget to use cedar shoe trees.
Mike

Here's an unconventional choice: Footjoy. You think their golf shoes are comfortable and well-made, try their dress shoes. I've had three pairs for 30 years and they have held up very well! I've replaced their soles numerous times, and been happy I've done it every time.

I do like Allen Edmunds as well but Footjoy has really given me the bang for the buck.

Allen Edmonds is the stand out for me. I try to pick them up during Nordstroms annual summer sale since they are often 1/2 price. Cole Haan and Ferragamo come in a close second for me.
For Casual dress Gokey is still hand made in the USA.