What is a tobacco allergy?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I have read various posts where people have referred to tobacco allergies. I am familiar with allergies to poison ivy, shell fish,etc, but what is a tobacco allergy? How do you decide what component of tobacco you are allergic to? Do the symptoms occur immediately or is there a delay?
Bub

If they are referring to the smoke, chances are it's cigarette smoke. Probably not the tobacco at all, but the chemically treated paper in the cigarette.

Unless they are talking about when harvesting. I have read that the sap is poisonous. It can be absorbed though the skin.

Nicotine is poisonous. Thats why you get stomach churns,lightheaded, and vomit after to large a dose. Its actually used as an insecticide.

I suppose one could be allergic to one form of tobacco or another, ie: Perique allergy a few claim, but I really don't think so.
I'm not a doctor or a scientist but I would think one strain of tobacco is close enough to the other forms of tobacco that 'individual' allergy's are a no go. Its akin to saying I can eat golden harvest tomato,but tommy toes cause a vicious reaction.

Throughout my life I've been bothered by allergic reactions to various type substances. It seems like whenever I get over one, another comes along to aggravate me. No brag, just fact. LOL

With nicotine, my inability to smoke strong blends occurred suddenly about 2 and a half years ago. I would get the spins, hiccup and feel sick at my stomach whether right after a meal or on an empty stomach. If this had occurred gradually I would have guessed it was due to the aging process, but I believe it to be an allergy.

When I smoke perique laden blends my bronchial tubes swell up, my nose slams shut and my eyes water almost immediately. The reaction is much the same as what hayfever does in the fall to me. It took a little longer to isolate as I would set aside the tins that caused it. All the tins contained a goodly dose of perique...Ashton's Black Parrot, GLP's Haddos Delight, McConnell's Scottish Cake, McClelland's Frog on the Bayou, etc.

Jim

Afternoon All, As a Gardener I can tell you that Tobacco, Tomato, and Potato all are in the nightshade family, and the leaves are poisonous if eaten!! You won't see any varmit damage to your tomato plants, just to the tomatoes!!! :tongue: :tongue:
Pacem en Salsa!! :tongue: :pirat:

I've used the term allergy before to describe my aversion to Latakia but I always put in quotes to signify try and signify that I'm using the term loosely. When I smoke a blend with Latakia in it I start to feel nauseous and that smoky smell seems to stay with me and irritate my for hours afterwards. It's a feeling very similar to having a hang over, even get that same reaction to not want to do it anymore. No hair of the dog will cure it either. :lol:

I know that my wife has an allergic reaction to the actual smoke. I can see it when I am smoking and she comes in contact with the smoke, pipes not cigarettes. Her eyes start to water badly and become red, etc. It use to affect my son the same way, say like if I was driving him somewhere and lit a pipe it would make him sick as a dog back when he was 10-12 years old. Now he smokes a pipe himself and it doesn't bother him at all.........go figure! Maybe he built up a tolerance to it.

My wife enjoys the aroma but the actual smoke kills her. I noticed it the other day when we were walking around the flea market and I was smoking a pipe. The wind would kick up and blow the smoke all over her and turn her eyes red and they would start running. I try to limited my indoor smoking to a very controlled situation by using an air purifier and I only smoke in a room that has a high vaulted ceiling. One of these days I am going to get around to turning that room into my official smoking den.