What is the MOST important thing...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
desertpiper":5je7ee23 said:
If you want to learn about pipe smoking ..............
...you can always ask me. I've been smoking the pipe for 56 years :twisted:

My criteria, is the pipe that somehow seems to find its way to your hand without really thinking about it.  It's an odd process, kind of like meeting someone and over a period of time, you discover that an awful lot of your time is devoted in that friendship.  Lucky for me, four of mine in particular fit that example, all of which were very reasonably priced.  A Charatan, an Armellini, and a Lepeltier are the bottom three.  A no name Italian bent brandy somehow has that special call above the others, and I can sit here and smile, recalling how I acquired it and all that has passed with it in hand.  Its manners are well known to me, and I'd like to think as far as a piece of briar can be imbued with any personality, it knows me.  Short answer, the best smoking pipes are the ones you bond with.

Lesath":xwm10szd said:
My criteria, is the pipe that somehow seems to find its way to your hand without really thinking about it.  It's an odd process, kind of like meeting someone and over a period of time, you discover that an awful lot of your time is devoted in that friendship.  Lucky for me, four of mine in particular fit that example, all of which were very reasonably priced.  A Charatan, an Armellini, and a Lepeltier are the bottom three.  A no name Italian bent brandy somehow has that special call above the others, and I can sit here and smile, recalling how I acquired it and all that has passed with it in hand.  Its manners are well known to me, and I'd like to think as far as a piece of briar can be imbued with any personality, it knows me.  Short answer, the best smoking pipes are the ones you bond with.
i find this to be a very swell answer. a love bonded pipe has a lot in common with your wallet and belt, they know you better than most would like to lol!

I prefer my pipe shaping to be a bit less anatomical, Richard. Good wood, bad wood? How about "Wrong Wood!"

PS. Yes I chuckled at it.