What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
My wife's boss insists that the "only" way to drink scotch is at room temperature, straight in a glass.

I always put ice cubes in the glass and then pour the scotch in the glass.

I suppose after a couple of glasses, it really doesn't matter :drunken:

The proper way is the way you like it. :!: Your scotch drink it the way you want it. I like single malts it at room temp with a glass of spring water on the side. I add only a few drops of water to release the aromas. YMMV. If you like it on the rocks go for it. :cheers:

No idea where the cult of room-temp Scotch orginated. If you're trying to preserve the condition of spirit in the barrel, best to remember that those barrels spend their lives in a basement in Scotland. When it only hits 65 F outside in July, you can believe that Scotch spends most of its life very cold indeed.

I know a lot of people who endorse "Scotch on the rock"--a dram and one ice cube. Adds a little water and lowers the temp.

The reason for the room temperature is to keep it from getting watered down. I picked up a bottle of 18 year old Scotch that I intend to drink as scotch, not scotch and water.

However, what do I do in Texas where room temperature is pretty warm? Am I too drink warm whiskey just to ensure I'm proper?

One thing I do is drop an ice cube in the scotch and remove it a few seconds later, but I think I do this to bring out the flavor as someone with the drop of water mentioned more so than not.

What do I do?
Both!

The better the quality, themore likely I am to take it neat. Also, if I know I will sip on it for a while (like with a pipe), I like it neat. If I think I will be throwing down a few, I put an cube or two in it.

I drink mine neat only because I feel anything else in it waters down the flavor.

Slow Puffs":jjtvkxqs said:
My wife's boss insists that the "only" way to drink scotch is at room temperature, straight in a glass.

Hehe, Puff check this out :lol!:
http://www.teroforma.com/istar.asp?a...FRxinAod1B2IWQ

Look under accessories and there they are:

Whisky Stones As Teroforma co-founder Andrew Hellman points out, "some drinks need no diluting." Working with Vermont Soapstone (USA), our Whisky Stones are the perfect way to chill your next single malt just a touch without watering things down.

Tennessee Dave":pzc106q4 said:
Slow Puffs":pzc106q4 said:

Hehe, Puff check this out :lol!:
http://www.teroforma.com/istar.asp?a...FRxinAod1B2IWQ

Look under accessories and there they are:

Whisky Stones As Teroforma co-founder Andrew Hellman points out, "some drinks need no diluting." Working with Vermont Soapstone (USA), our Whisky Stones are the perfect way to chill your next single malt just a touch without watering things down.
Thanks Dave,

That does look interesting. I've never heard of that before. :D

I don't like to dilute scotch, either, but I like it cool. I simply keep the bottles in a little wine refrigerator and drink it at the same temperature as the white wine.

Added later: I tried those plastic cubes filled with water that are kept frozed in the freezer. I may be paranoid (well... no, I know I am), but I think they add a foreign taste to the scotch.

You should both be at least 18 years old and it should be single malt. If this criteria is met, then it should be drunk copiously, one sip at a time.
shootist51

I guess it would be safe to put in the freezer, but not sure I want it THAT cold. It's scotch, not Jaeger... :rabbit:

I like my whiskey room temperature and straight up, just like Leroy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, room temperature, straight up. I always make sure the glass is absolutely dry before pouring. Then, when I drink it, I let it roll along the midline of my tongue to the back, where it should roll off the tongue evenly to either side. In that way, I get the simultaneous blossoming of olfactory and taste pleasures.

That's reminds me...time for my evening Lagavulin...

Blends on the rocks, single malts with one ice cube. But then, I like red wine with most everything, so what do I know ?

I find the best way to drink scotch is to keep consuming until you can see the ceiling clearly through the bottom of your glass.

With as many women as possible who are drinking Gin.

My preference is single malts room temp with a drop of water, Blends with one cube of ice & 3 cubes of ice for a rusty nail.

Don't know (or care for that matter) if it's proper or not. I drink it neat at ambient temperature.

I use to drink single malts neat at room temperature all the time. Now, I almost always add 2-3 drops of water to the glass. I think the wee bit of water does open up the aroma. I use a single malt glass or a brandy snifter as I enjoy the aroma as just as important as the taste in the mouth, like good cognac.

I understand that many in Scotland drink single malts with quite a bit of water added, for what that is worth. A good friend goes over to northern England and Scotland every 1-2 years and this is what he reports the Scotch aficionados do in the country of origin.

I will also add ice to blends on occasion.

As always, drink it how you enjoy it.

Cheers,

TC