what is the role of age on perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
the oldest vaper i ever smoked was only thre years ( solani 633 ) and boy was it good! i am wondering if anyone has ever smoked decades old vapers and if so what did the age do to the perique? my grandfather, god rest his soul was a sometime pipsmoker and he had some tins of copes escudo from the sixties which on occasion he would smoke but he would never let me try a bowl!!!! he always said " no, no, this is way too good for you, you have to develop appreciation for this over many years and your just not ready." well he passed away and my grandmother threw away the last two tins saying " that tobacco smelled like cat piss! " :affraid: she is a wonderful woman but i sometimes think of those tins with a yearning sigh :| i know the virginias would change but what about the perique?

In my experience, age does not have an impact on perique.

That is based on smokine some aged VaPers. For example, I traded for some 7 year old 2015. The overall impression was that the perique had gotten stronger compared to a new tin. But I believe it is because the VAs mellowed and the perique did not. I didn't really want the perique any stronger.

I'll be interested in what others have to say.

It does not much change the Périque, but it "marries" the taste further to the mix, developping a complexity in the order of flavours. Yet, paradoxically, since aging mellows and smooths the other tobaccoes, eventually one can taste the Périque better.

Périque blends are the most suitable for aging, imo.