What is the strongest heaviest English blend?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bishops Move has been mentioned several times here. I'm reasonably familiar with it and have some right now that I hit on every so often.

Frankly I don't feel it's all that full. In fact I'd put it in the med category, at least for my tastes. Very nice, well balanced, somewhat complex, but heavy.....not.

Many of the others listed here I haven't tried, so wtf do I know?!

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

I have a lot of unopened tins, but so far the fullest I have tried that I also thought was a fine smoke was Peretti's Omega. I also enjoy the Old Ironsides I have, but it's five years old so I am sure it is mellowed quite a lot. I don't find the OI I have to be particularly full. Smoky but mellow.

Smoker99":r47s2w9y said:
For a true English, and not just a lat bomb, Dunhill London Mixture, Dunhill Nightcap, Uhle's Bishop's Move, and GLP Quiet Nights. Dunhill London Mixture is the benchmark as far as I am concerned.
The Lane Dunhill London Mixture was a staple here at chez Brewdude. Without a doubt my go-to English choice about 10 years ago. I even took a couple tins with me on my holiday in the UK back in '01. Talk about taking coals to Newcastle!

Recently got in a tin of the new Orlik stuff, but haven't opened it yet. Need to correct that soon!

:!:

Right now, I seem to reach for P&W Churchill and #78 for English blends. While they're not especially full bodied (at least to my taste) they do have je ne sais quoi...

Cheers,

RR

Agree with Tim. I loves me some Odyssey. I am fortunate to have stocked up on Penzance whenever I could and I always fall back to that as my go to.

Dunhill #73. I used to order it from Dunhill's store in London, but that was years ago. I have one tin left. Here is the description from tobacco reviews:

"The fullest flavoured 'English Mixture', which is recommend for an evening smoke. Over 52% Latakia, with Cavendish, Virginias, Perique, and Oriental leaf."

It is the large proportion of Latakia which makes this blend strong. The other components come across mildly but it's hard to say since it seems like the Latakia is drowning out the other components.

Did anyone mention Margate? That is a full-flavored blend all around: a good portion of quality Latakia blended with rich Virginias - heavenly :cheers:

Margate is probably the heaviest English I smoke on a regular basis. What about C&D Star of the East? I haven't tried it yet but I just bought a sample and it sure smells lat heavy.

GLP Odyssey will deliver a solid latakia treat. I would suppose that would place it in the heavy English category. It's a great smoke, however, fairly one dimensional. If you love latakia that is the "main" dimension necessary to fill a large bowl just before sack time.

When I used to be a Latakia Freak years ago CAO's Old Ironsides did the trick.

Westminster and Odyssey are Lat heavy, but extremely palatable.

To me, for both Latakia and nicotine, it's tough to top Old Ironsides and just about anything from the Captain Earle's line. I have an unopened tin of McConnell Latakia Flake, and it's supposed to be strong (not heavy).

Old Ironsides ages magnificently btw. At 5 years it transcends Lat bomb and becomes a fantastic, mature full Lat blend.

Funny how the stuff you used to think was heavy stops being heavy so fast. I thought Odyssey was heavy, for about 2 days. Ten Russians is really the only tobacco where that impression held up. I haven't smoked Pirate Kake though.

Ten Russians is a very heavy blend, as others have noted, but I would put Compton's York Full Mixture at the top of my personal list. It doesn't have quite as much lat but -- as GLP so eloquently pointed out -- the lat content doesn't necessarily dictate the effect of "fullness." York Full has a very noticeable nicotine hit but most importantly it is a flavor bomb -- very full and very tasty. It's just a shame it costs a bit more than US blends and can be a pain to have imported....

I also concur with the recommendations for Odyssey. An absolutely superb, full-bodied course of latakia. Interestingly, while most smokers seem to feel it is one-dimensional, I actually detect a lot of complexity (not at the level of Magnum Opus or Wilderness, perhaps, but certainly not a simple blend, either). As the bowl burns down, I detect waves of lat, va, and a couple of distinct orientals that chime in with very distinct notes ... but hey, everyone's palate is a bit different!

Smoked near 'em all. IMO without any doubt.....

Hermit Tobb "10 Russians".

Ed Duncan, Batavia, NY

If your definition of strength means Latakia content, my no. 1 choice would be Pirate Kake, followed by Old Ironsides.

Smokey