What is the strongest heaviest English blend?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on what you seasoned smokes would consider is the strongest heaviest English blend that is currently being produced.

I'd like to guage it against what I am currently smoking to use as a reference or barometer to see if there is something heavier.

To give you an idea, I have read that Bow Legged Bear is very strong, but I don't find it so. I also find it lacking in taste to me.

Esoterica Margate seems much heavier in flavor to me but I wouldn't call it a very strong blend, but would consider it strong. Its been too long since I have had Penzance, so I can't remember what it was like other than to make sure I order some the next time I see it available.

Thanks

I guess it depends what is meant by "strong." For most, it means nicotine, but for some, when discussing so-called "English/Balkan" blends, it means flavor--especially the flavor related to Latakia.

For the latter (Latakia-bombs), there are few that I'm familiar with (others will add more, because it's not a style I enjoy very often): Old Ironsides from DAN (formerly branded as CAO), Larry's Blend from P&C, Pirate Kake from C&D, and Billy Budd (which includes cigar leaf). There's also Dunhill's Nightcap if/when it returns to the US market.

Many people seem to think that some of the GL Pease blends are both high in nicotine and full of flavor. I don't know about the nicotine, but I think most of his English/Balkan style blends are very flavorful.

For what it's worth, my favorite in this very large family of tobaccos is Pease's Charing Cross. I've yet to try his new line (Quiet Nights et al), and I also haven't yet tried the new(ish) blends like Wilderness that Fred Hanna did for McClelland. Wilderness, in particular, is getting huge praise.

If you're extremely patient and rather well-off, some of the Compton's line of English are potent--York Mixture, for example.

Thanks guys.

When I say strong, I'm meaning heavy full bodied flavor. I guess I'm somewhat in the ball park as I have Butera Pelican in my rotation now.

This is what I have on my wish list for my next order:
GL Pease Maltese Falcon
McClelland Bulk 5110 Dark Full English
McClelland Ashton Old Dog
C&D Billy Budd
Prince Albert
Ashton Artisan's Blend

Let me know what you guys think.

Stogiegila":007bdwg7 said:
Thanks guys.

When I say strong, I'm meaning heavy full bodied flavor. I guess I'm somewhat in the ball park as I have Butera Pelican in my rotation now.

GL Pease Maltese Falcon
C&D Billy Budd
Prince Albert
Ashton Artisan's Blend

maltese falcon is good stuff. i think it's a nice mixture of glpease's westminster and mcclellands frog morton. a pretty gentle smoke, i would say.

Stogiegila":793o4ccn said:
Thanks guys.

GL Pease Maltese Falcon
C&D Billy Budd
Prince Albert
Ashton Artisan's Blend

Hang on Stogie, Prince Albert is no English blend, good old fashioned burley!!

I know, Piet. I just wanted to add it to the mix. This way I can compare the old classic to Exhausted Rooster and Bald Headed Teacher. :D

thanks for watching my back bro!

Stogiegila":su7vx8rh said:
I know, Piet. I just wanted to add it to the mix. This way I can compare the old classic to Exhausted Rooster and Bald Headed Teacher. :D

No Walnut?

Uhle's Bishops Move :shock:

Bishop’s Move: Rich, smoky and meaty, Bishop’s Move offers a satisfying endeavor into traditional English blends.
Ingredients: Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Burley.
“…we suggest you keep it for evenings, Sundays and Holidays” –Jack Uhle

beaupipe":3krw7n9s said:
Stogiegila":3krw7n9s said:

No Walnut?
Who's Walnut? Never heard of it. Or the Uhle's either :oops:

I wouldn't consider Walnut to be very strong, and it is barely an English although you can taste a bit of Lat in there. It is a nice twist on a the American burley (from Middletons), and can be a great all-day smoke. Most either love it or hate it, glad I am in the former.

I would consider Dunhill Nightcap or London Mixture to be 2 full strong english-type mixtures. Each has it own special characteristic from the addition of either perique or turkish in the blends. Haven't come across the the new imports of these yet, but still puffing on my supply from before they got dropped from USA distribution.

Stogiegila":ecozr248 said:
beaupipe":ecozr248 said:
Stogiegila":ecozr248 said:

No Walnut?
Who's Walnut? Never heard of it. Or the Uhle's either :oops:
JH Middleton Walnut, A must try OTC American Light English, I love the stuff!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH here we go again boys!!

What the hell Stogie, give walnut a bash too.....
Bring it on boys!!!

JP where are you bro??????? cover me I'm going in!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Piet Binsbergen":xe10dfvx said:
JH Middleton Walnut, A must try OTC American Light English, I love the stuff!!!!

Bring it on boys!!!

Go for it Piet. I'm still puffing at least a couple bowls a week of the fabled Walnut-weed. I've got your back until JP gets back from MIA!

Hunter5117":817uqh0e said:
Piet Binsbergen":817uqh0e said:

Bring it on boys!!!

Go for it Piet. I'm still puffing at least a couple bowls a week of the fabled Walnut-weed. I've got your back until JP gets back from MIA!
Thanks Hunter, you gota love the stuff bro!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
A bowl of walnut on you bro!

I would like to try some Walnut. Do you know where I could purchase a small quantity just in case it didn't suit me? I found some on line but it required the purchase of a "bucket" of it. Thanks

Hunter5117":07qkzanf said:
I wouldn't consider Walnut to be very strong, and it is barely an English although you can taste a bit of Lat in there. It is a nice twist on a the American burley (from Middletons), and can be a great all-day smoke. Most either love it or hate it, glad I am in the former.

I would consider Dunhill Nightcap or London Mixture to be 2 full strong english-type mixtures. Each has it own special characteristic from the addition of either perique or turkish in the blends. Haven't come across the the new imports of these yet, but still puffing on my supply from before they got dropped from USA distribution.

I like commonwealth the best, its my go to english...just waiting for more tins to become available

The McClelland Dark English Full is really good.
I actually don't think it's all that strong (not that I smoke tobacco on a dare) but it is really tasty. A less refined, fuller Frog Morton.

Highly recommended!