What is this stem made of?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score

Picked up another off the bay and am wondering what the stem material is. Story so far, looks like amber but doesn't form a static charge when rubbed, it has a screw in tenon about an inch long. When I tried an alchohol dipped cleaner the mouthpiece started to discolour so I stopped and currently am soaking it in water and weak dish washing liquid. 

Any suggestions on how to clean the stem thoroughly without causing further damage please?

Sorry about the wacky photos, they're from the sellers page. Will post some better ones when I get back home.

Cheers

Tim

It's possible that it is amberoid, which is a composite amber material typically made with ground up amber scraps and resin compressed at a high temperature. I have a few pieces for making stems, but I haven't worked with them yet, so I'm not sure what the proper maintenance is.

That's a tough one Tim. They had many amber substitutes over the years and it could be any of them. Some are just simple early plastics with no amber at all. Viable options on cleaning include white vinegar in water, ammonia in water, hydrogen peroxide has worked well for me on some and as your doing now soapy water. Always keep an open mind and something you have on hand may just do the ticket. Even denture cleaner has been useful around here for stubborn stems. LOL

Jim

Tim,

We've been talking toothpaste elsewhere. Might be worth a try?

Stick

Can't help on the stem issue, but that pipe has great potential once it's all refurbished. It has a real classic look to it and reminds me of some of Peterson's shapes. What make is it Tim, I can't quite read the nomenclature?

Cheers,

RR

Thanks gents, it's a classic shape allright, that's what drew my eye, it's also my biggest bowled pipe by far. I've a Brebbia Fat Bob 2112 and this is even bigger. 

The stamping, well painting really, is a large S surrounded by the words French Briar in a circle. There are no other stampings or markings on the pipe at all.

As for further cleaning, as we're unsure of the stem material, I'll send it off to have a modern replacement stem made. I know a lot of the early plastic compounds aren't exactly safe. Thanks again for all the great suggestions I think denture cleaner may be the way to go to clean the inside of the stem. 

More pics below. 

Cheers

Tim