What is Your Holy Grail Blend, and Why?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good question and always a hard one. I always tap into a few blends pretty hard for a month or two at a time. Currently it’s Plum Pudding, Blackwoods Flake, and Old Dark Fired. But if I had to pick just one, I think I’d have to go with St James Flake. So rich and sweet. But there are so many good ones!

Old Nate":tdnu9jsz said:
This is a good question and always a hard one. I always tap into a few blends pretty hard for a month or two at a time. Currently it’s Plum Pudding, Blackwoods Flake, and Old Dark Fired. But if I had to pick just one, I think I’d have to go with St James Flake. So rich and sweet. But there are so many good ones!

Hey lookie here, it's an Old Nate sighting! Where the freak you been man? Long time ya know!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":e8re5wn5 said:
Old Nate":e8re5wn5 said:

Hey lookie here, it's an Old Nate sighting! Where the freak you been man? Long time ya know!

Hd  

Cheers,

RR
Hey, brother! Been busy with the kids, family, the holidays, remodeling the house, and then some! I’ve thought about you guys here a bunch! Meant to check in about a thousand times!!! Already it feels good to be back on!

Nate

Old Nate":ysa51jsm said:
Brewdude":ysa51jsm said:
Old Nate":ysa51jsm said:

Hd  

Cheers,

RR
Hey, brother! Been busy with the kids, family, the holidays, remodeling the house, and then some! I’ve thought about you guys here a bunch! Meant to check in about a thousand times!!! Already it feels good to be back on!

Nate
Good to have you back Nate. You've been missed!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Holy grail? My holy grail is variety. Every now and then I hit a sublime smoke. Random tobacco in a random pipe. Even repeating the formula (pipe + tobacco) doesn't usually work. Peter Heinrich's Curly Block might be it for me. Then again, I would probably cry if I was ever without Escudo on hand. Right now I'm smoking a 7 year old University Flake. I've always thought this was a pretty good blend, but nothing spectacular. Right now, I'm having one of the best smokes that I can remember.
Wolfeman

Margate is what I smoke the most, followed by Germain’s many similar blends: Pembroke, Exotique Mixture, Our Best Blend. I also smoke a lot of Penzance, Oriental #40 and Tashkent. Germain and Peretti are my two favorite brands. I have many other blends, about 60 open tins but smoke them far less than my favorites.

I keep going back to Peterson University Flake. To be honest, I haven't had any in months because I have been very busy trying other flakes. I really had McClelland Navy Cavendish almost ahead of University. And now sadly, it will not longer be available.

A Holy Grail is something you seek, not something you already have. Mine would be either Balkan Sobranie Virginian Number 10, or Craven Mixture.

I like to smoke something different all the time. I like some variety. But University Flake is my top tobacco. I love the Burley and Virginia pairing. The tobacco is on the dark side, so no tongue bite. The plum top note is pleasant for my entourage and pleasant to my taste buds. It doesn't have a lot of complexity but the taste is rich, deep, satisfying. I find it addictive. The nicotine is just right.
I never get enough of it. So I never tire of it. I always have a tin at hand, or close. I'm stashing more and more of it. If I had only one tobacco to smoke, it would be it. I guess it is my holy grail tobacco. :D

Heh. Posted almost the same thing twice on this thread. Interesting. Losing it.  :scratch: :fpalm: