What is Your Holy Grail Blend, and Why?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake.

But it would be neck and neck with an old 1792 Flake. The version that really did smell like a dead mouse in the tin. You know. Dead mouse laying in a little water in the tray under a very warm refrigerator. And the room has been shut up for a couple days. So strong that you can taste it on the air.

I do love my GL Peace Renaissance. But I have smoked up all my old 1792 Flake and much of my newer stuff. All the Bracken Flake I had is gone. And that last order when I knew it was going, was like 31 tins. And I had a pound from 2005 jarred. All gone.

Something else that does not stay around here long is an open tin of Dunhill Nightcap.

Carlos":xk39h5tt said:
Something else that does not stay around here long is an open tin of Dunhill Nightcap.
Yup, I totally understand how you feel about the tin version of Dunhill Nightcap. Just try and stock up on this fine blend, for soon it may be long gone :(

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

old_salt":n9k3uegw said:
If I had to pick one to face the end of the world,
NAcz3aC77OpYxHIM2KvjXxY7nHhT_4oSoeUBQD1SNGoTHnstWehnuWf-O6YjgErSk68uEkpQ2N5wzEC_ug=w367-h275
What are those two blends, Old Salt? I can't make them out, but the tins look familiar.

Both are Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake. the 100 g. tins
are from an old warehouse score I did around 2008. Only have 5
of the big ones left, still in good shape on the 50's & Escudo.

Probably Escudo. Though it's not the same as it once was, my tins all have a few years of age now, and it is damn fine stuff.

The closest to a "Holy Grail" blend for me would be C&D Star of the East. Perfct balance and that first draw puts me right into a relaxed frame of mind.

My current "Holy Grail" is Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake.  It just rings all the bells.  The roommate is nice, the Virginias are sweet, the Perique is spicy, and it's a full flavored, medium nic hit blend. I love it.

I've been putting some thought to this over the past few weeks and today decided to jump.

Sammy G's St James Flake. Just like Walkman's last post, it just ticks all the boxes. Sweet Vas and spicy Per in just the right balance. Tough call though! I've been exposed to a few new blends recently that I've really enjoyed, 40th Anniversary as an example. Reading this list it looks like I've a few more to add to my wish list.

It has made me review my smoking habits though. I tend to dabble in this, dabble in that and don't tend to smoke one blend more consistently. If I enjoy SJF so much, why the heck don't I smoke more of it?! (I think it's you chaps / chapettes keep distracting me with other temptations).

I also had to think on this a bit as there are several blends that I really enjoy. But, at the end of the day it comes down to Storm Front and Haunted Bookshop. The two tobaccos that I keep in constant supply and smoke whenever I don't want to think about it, I just want a good smoke. They are as comfortable to me as an old sweater. As long as I have these two I could, (if I HAD to), live without any others. BUT, I am thankful for variety as that IS after all, "the spice of life".

Simple Man....2 great choices. I do have one or two blends from the past. However, also sitting back and thinking...I have two blends that I always keep cellared and constantly stock up on just in case they too disappear.  The two blends that hit that right note for me are both John Patton's Blends....Storm Front and Crossroads.  Also cellared is just over 22 lbs of Peter Stokkebye LBF, excellent fresh but superb with a few years of aging. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":8v1ybruo said:
Simple Man....2 great choices. I do have one or two blends from the past. However, also sitting back and thinking...I have two blends that I always keep cellared and constantly stock up on just in case they too disappear.  The two blends that hit that right note for me are both John Patton's Blends....Storm Front and Crossroads.  Also cellared is just over 22 lbs of Peter Stokkebye LBF, excellent fresh but superb with a few years of aging. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
22LBS! That's it! When the apocalypse is on us I am hiking up to your neck of the woods and smoking with you as we watch the world fall apart. :lol:

Simple Man":aqsbpb3j said:
22LBS! That's it! When the apocalypse is on us I am hiking up to your neck of the woods and smoking with you as we watch the world fall apart. 
icon_lol.gif
If and when that day arrises and your capable of getting here, your more than welcome! Just let's hope and Pray it never comes to that!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

YUPPERS.......or 9.979 kilograms
[font=Roboto-Light, HelveticaNeue-Light, HelveticaNeue, sans-serif-light, Arial, sans-serif]B 4 I retired I had the opportunity to purchase 14 lbs cheaper than cost. A friend of mine closed his B&M. This blend gets better with over 8 years of aging. [/font]

[font=Roboto-Light, HelveticaNeue-Light, HelveticaNeue, sans-serif-light, Arial, sans-serif]KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
[/font]

My fave is a DIY blend, and I got the formula years ago from a now dismantled internet site. Unfortunately, I don’t have the posters name anymore, but if you’re out there, sir, I’m very grateful to you.

Here it is — McClelland 5100 Red Cake + McClelland 5105 Stoved Virginia + Perique mixed in a blend of 4:4:1. Gets even better with a bit of age.

I have several pipes dedicated to this mix, and they’re nice to sip even when the pipe is empty.

Whenever I see a thread like this one, my immediate thought is SG Full Virginia Flake or Stonehaven. They are the two that I have cellared the most and smoke a lot of. But after thinking about it for a while, the days where I only smoke one or the other, I would be craving other blends after a while. I think for me the one blend that is close to a Holy Grail blend for me would be G.L. Pease Cairo. I can smoke it all day and be satisfied. It covers all the bases for me. The mix of Virginias is perfect. It has the right amount of Orientals in it. They don't overpower the blend and don't get lost in it either. The little bit of perique seems to bring it all together. Plus the huge added bonus of it's never sold out. I don't have to make calls or be on a waiting list. It's Deeming safe and under the radar. If you like orientals without latakia and haven't tried it yet, I can't recommend it enough.

I just finished a nice bowl of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, and I have to say I could live with this blend for a long time in perfect contentment. It just seems to hit the rights notes with me. Packs & burns well, flavour is full, rounded and satisfying, and even the room note is acceptable around here. This is the blend that prompted me to explore Burleys, and I keep coming back to it.

Getting to the end of the Orlik in my cellar, though I do have a 200g tub of Peter Heinriks version, which I have heard is the same baccy under a different label. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

Old Joe Krantz...really cant explain why except that it fills my need...it seems to be my 'Grail Blend'.....

This is a tough one. Escudo, SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Stonehaven, Mac Baren HH Old dark Fired, HU Director's Cut, Solani VaPer with some age. Oh man, I'm about to go to bed and now I'm wanting another pipe. :lol: