What is your quintessential summer blend?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
Tastes are different...all subjective...YMMV  of course. That being said, what blend do you think of and love to smoke in Summer.

Mine is Haddo's Delight hands down. I smoke it year round but particularly love it in the hot summer months.

Yours?

Haddo's is way great, including and especially with age. However I don't think of it as a summer blend.

Disclaimer - Now that I've retired to sunny Southern Arid-Zona and strictly smoke outside (unlike before), the ambient temps during the hotter months are not conducive to enjoying a pipe. Therefore my piping goes down to virtually nil during this time, as nothing tastes of much.

That said, if it's not too hot out in the early morning I will sip a bowl of OGS. Might well be the one and only bowl of the day for a while.

Cheers,

RR

I'm glad this has been brought up. I've been trying to figure out which tobacco is more kind to the hot summer months and which pipes would be best. I think the corncob and also the Turkish meerschaum pipes smoke cooler and sweeter. I'm not sure which tobacco, but I've been smoking a lot of Butternut Burley lately. Also smoking some Virginias and fruity stuff like Peaches and Cream. I'd like to hear more suggestions to try.

Well lately my home made puck has been the go to and have been enjoying Dan's Blue Note recently acquired here. Straight Va's seem to more in rotation as well.

For the longest time for me it was SWR. However the past few years I find myself smoking latikia blends in the summer in an attempt to keep the mosquitoes at Bay. Also smoke a fair number of Vaper blends during the summer.

Jim

LBF, LTF by Stokkeby
All Things Being Equal
Lonesome Llama
Newminster Navy flake
McClelland 5115

Ginnies baby, Ginnies!

Great question for which I have no answer!! I smoke/rotate blends the same all year round. Burley/Ginny Weed in the mornings. Ginny Weed/light Lat Weeds & Orientals in the afternoon/s, and Orientals/heavier Latweeds in the evenings. I'll throw in a light aromatic (BCF and/or TMCF) whenever the mood hits me!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Like many refined and discerning smokers, when the heat rolls in I think of the classic Burley blends.  I could easily list a dozen or so from all the major houses but there’s one that stands above the rest.  It’s universally loved, it’s the highest quality, it’s tasty and trustworthy, it’s STORM FRONT. Yup, another John Patton Blend available only via 4 Noggins.  It’s ALWAYS good to the last drop.

Like Brewdude, the hot sticky summer weather puts a real damper on my enjoyment of a pipe, but when I do get to sit out with a bowl, lately its been Vintage Syrian or a Burley blend. VS is a rather gentle blend compared to some of the Cyprian Latakia tobaccos. Glad I have a stash tucked away!

ontariopiper":5ix9aiwj said:
Like Brewdude, the hot sticky summer weather puts a real damper on my enjoyment of a pipe, but when I do get to sit out with a bowl, lately its been Vintage Syrian or a Burley blend. VS is a rather gentle blend compared to some of the Cyprian Latakia tobaccos. Glad I have a stash tucked away!
I do enjoy Vintage Syrian on hot evenings. Thanks for reminding me!

Blackhorse":vsjon8zr said:
Like many refined and discerning smokers, when the heat rolls in I think of the classic Burley blends.  I could easily list a dozen or so from all the major houses but there’s one that stands above the rest.  It’s universally loved, it’s the highest quality, it’s tasty and trustworthy, it’s STORM FRONT. Yup, another John Patton Blend available only via 4 Noggins.  It’s ALWAYS good to the last drop.
Storm Front is up there for me for sure.

I am in Rande's boat. I exclusively smoke outside & live in a hot, arid summer climate. Needless to say, my pipes get a nice rest during the summer months (July, August and September).

However, some nights we'll get a nice breeze off the Sacramento Delta and if the outdoor temp is right and the mood suits me I'll reach for either a rich Virginia mixture like Blackwoods Flake, FVF, Dark Twist Roll Cake & Matured VA No. 24 or a dark sweet spicy vaper like St. James Flake, Fillmore, Old Dominion or Dunbar. If I am in a burely mood, ODF, any Peretti burley, WC Slices, or maybe even C&D Crooner which I have a love/hate relationship with.

Again, night smoking, preferably mid 70's to low 80's outside temp.

Currently I am test driving the new GL Pease shag cut mixture. It's got definite summer night smoking potential. However at this point I doubt it will supplant Fillmore which for me is one of the most over indulgent Vapers available to man kind.

Most of my summer smoking is done either tossing a fly or after shooting a round or two of trap; lately it's SWR or Edward G. Robinson's, although I just ordered a tub of CH so we'll see.

Idlefellow":cm1itgiw said:
Most of my summer smoking is done either tossing a fly or after shooting a round or two of trap; lately it's SWR or Edward G. Robinson's, although I just ordered a tub of CH so we'll see.
You wouldn't by any chance trap shoot at Ravenwood, do you?

Corncobcon":zkizfxzc said:
Idlefellow":zkizfxzc said:
You wouldn't by any chance trap shoot at Ravenwood, do you?
Nope.