What is your quintessential summer blend?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the OP stated, we all have different tastes.  I've read posts on boards for years that a lot of people don't smoke Latakia blends during the heat of the summer.  Quite frankly, I've never understood it.

As I type I'm smoking a bowl of Squadron Leader on my front porch.  I know my tastes are a bit unusual, but I love the stuff.  To me Latakia blends have an almost 'menthol' taste that is to me somewhat cool.  My taste for Latakia doesn't wane. Luckily I cellared a couple of pounds of SL ten years or so ago and have a good bit of my stash left.

That being said, my favorite summer blend was "Blackwood Flake."  Regrettably, I haven't had any in five years or more.  It's one of the departed blends that I miss.

This is a great thread!

For me, gotta be SG St James flake! I also have been going at my Solani Silver flake as well and MacBaren ODF when looking for a rich campfire type of smoke. Don’t do too much Latakia in the summer but I do smoke Virgina blends often in the winter.

I don't think I chose tobacco based on the season. I'm mostly a Virginia and VaPer smoker and I stick with those year round. The only thing I will say about summer is that I'm more likely to smoke a cigar in the heat. The humid air we typically have in North Carolina makes a cigar smoke perfectly to me.

My summer smoke is without a doubt Sutliff's Taste of Summer, followed closely by BriarWorks Country Lawyer and Kramer's Father Dempsey.