What makes you feel old?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
A few thinks come to mind:
1. Its hard to believe, but we put a man on the moon and I saw it on tv
2. While this is not my life, I did watch the Untouchables on tv
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/whitey-bulgers-feared-pals-now-geriatric-gangsters/story?id=19669485
3. I did watch This is Your Life
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tdgegW5Xmp0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tonight we were having a discussion about the difference between the earlier music of bands such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Rush and other such bands with what they were producing later in the 80's with the hopes of continued commercial success in the era of pop music. Most of the young men at the table didn't know the difference, and a few didn't even know most of the bands we were discussing. Granted, the conversion turned heavily towards Prog Rock and bands like ELO, Angel, Asia and ELP that are not such common names now. But this made me feel old.

When one asked "Who is Adam Ant" as he was being introduced on the Jimmy Kimmel show tonight I died just a little on the inside...

Little story. First, I'm not THAT old. However, I think this story fits well.

I was in teacher's college, teaching a chemistry class to grade 10s (15 to 16 yrs old in Canada). I decided to use a clip from the movie The Matrix to illustrate the value of chemistry. I played it in class, and no one reacted. "WTF?" I thought. Such a poignant movie. Why was no one reacting?

Because they were 2 when it came out. I was 17. You're now 28 ish, and they are 16 ish. You're an idiot. A very old idiot.

Their comments reflected it. "What is The Matrix?" "It's some old movie about how everyone's trapped in a computer program."

You've got to be kidding me.

Ya I know the matrix at least. =) I did have to ask my younger brother what the hell a meme was the other day though.

Sean68":bg2l5j96 said:
When one asked "Who is Adam Ant" as he was being introduced on the Jimmy Kimmel show tonight I died just a little on the inside...
Seeing Adam Ant the actor makes me feel old... (I still have that vinyl LP!)

Non-thematic Rush albums made me feel old... (first concert - Farewell to Kings...)

I'm in the chain restaurant business (30 years). Seeing children of the teens who once worked for me makes me feel quite old....

But, at 52, I'm not ready to cash out just yet!

Birthdays. I used to enjoy them. Now I'd just like to move on without any sort of fanfare.

When I first heard "The Temptations", "James Brown", Otis Redding", and "The Four Tops" on the "Oldies" station. :cry: 

Rad

When I go to the doctor and complain about a new problem, and the doctor just looks and me and says "It's normal for someone your age to be experiencing that." and then proceeds on with the appointment with no intention for any resolution.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WzEhoyXpqzQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I realized I was eligible for senior discounts. Haven't used any yet, 'cause I can't get used to the idea.

I went to a museum prior to a job interview and was asked if I wanted a senior discount.
p.s. No job offer

I can remember back to a time when I took out a young lady (I was considerably older) and discovered that I had taught her mother in high school.  THAT made me feel old...and a little foolish.

When I have to describe to kids what a VHS is, or what happened on 9/11.