What makes you feel old?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I make creaking and groaning noiseS when I sit, stand or lie down. When my arthritis kicks in. When my youngest daughter is talking about how she is the most responsible person at her job, and being looked at for management. When they play music from high school on the oldies station. But most of all its when I find myself thinking "kids these days"

rev

Getting out of bed in the morning and having the pain hit full force. Gets the attention AND makes me feel ancient at 62. Of course, five heart attacks didn't help anything :)

I won't pull the "I'm thirty and that's old" card here, but Amazon now lists the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam as Classic Rock. That hurts a little.

When I turned 40 it was supposed to be "over the hill". Never felt any different.

When I turned 50 it was supposed to be "all downhill from here". Never felt any different.

When I turned 60 I started getting the senior discount at the local barbershop. That was a little strange since I didn't consider myself a senior yet. Still didn't feel any different than at 50 or 40.

Age is just a number. Stay young my friends.

I'm no fool, no sirree
I'm gonna live to be a hundred and three
I play safe for you and me
'cause I'm no fool!

313336_566884793330231_1401018492_n.png

Cheers,

RR

Nothing, so far. The closest I come is the bevy of little physical pains that show up when I try to do some of the same stuff I used to do. But even those don't make me feel "old". They just remind me that certain parts are wearing out, but there's no perception of "old" that accompanies it. In my mind, I'm still the same me...

...well, sort of. I suppose I'm less inclined to assume the best of Others™, onna counta they've taught me otherwise. But I'm not sure that has anything to do with "old". There are plenty of things that make me feel disappointed, pissed, fed up with the stupidity of certain fellow humanoids...but that stuff has been going on for as long as I can remember.

newjok12.png

People who are unable to acknowledge reality, and imagine they have a mandate to impose that worldview on others.

After working twenty+ years in the prison system, I'm beyond familiar with it (both the inmate and managerial versions). But I was never able to decide whether to laugh, cry, get angry or throw up whenever I encountered it.

I still can't.

Fifty years ago, it was obvious that there was something sadly wrong with people like that. By now, it's become the new normal.

Oh brave new world !

:face:

Yak":u9dutjk7 said:
People who are unable to acknowledge reality, and imagine they have a mandate to impose that worldview on others. :face:
Sounds like the clichéd Habits of Highly Successful People.   :suspect:  :roll: 

I looked at this earlier and probably then would have mentioned my lower back. The thread though really came to the true point -- perspective. We're getting old when the new is new and our views are old. I guess that can happen at various points. We're slower to notice though that we aren't the sought after demographic.

P.S. Yak...2 decades working in the prison system...I can see where his unbounded optimism comes from.

Morning aches and pains and humans getting more and morer stupiderer. I thought I was a juggernaut until I got a hernia. That was a real punch in the gut.

Realizing that I now have 4 or 5 doctors, when 1 used to be just fine!! My friends and I start talking about things that happened 50 or 60 years ago; and realize we lived it!! Any day where I wake up, feel no dirt in my face, check the obituary page & not see my name or picture...is going to be a good day!!!!

Getting used to reaching for my reading glasses when I want to read something.

And getting used to being annoyed that I've left them in another room.

:face:

Yes! Reading glasses! My eyes just went kaput this year. I'm sure it's from 20 years of computers and programming but I used to be able to read in the dark and from 6 inches from my face. No more. I still have 20/20 vision but dang...

--When girls young enough to be your grand-daughter ....... (well, you can fill can the rest !)

--Coffee after 2 PM keeps you awake half the night

--The hair in my nose and ears seems to grow faster than the hair on my head

--Drinking 3 beers, and then peeing what seems like 6 beers out