What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always had a hard time watching Leland Stottlemeyer on Monk because of that movie. :lol:

We watched Wind River last night, I give it a B+, an interesting and unique premise.

That is the movie shown in the Metallic video for the song "One". I've always wondered what that movie was! I'll have to check it out.

Brewdude":r2792b5o said:
419WlW83JoL._AC_US218_.jpg

This is a story about an American guy of 20 yrs old who enlisted in the Army in WWI. He was blown up in a shell attack in the trenches and ended up a quadriplegic, with most of his face blown off and no way to communicate. Basically a living torso fed by tubes.  

I've seen parts of this several times in the distant past, but never to the end. Actually it was too depressing to watch it to the end, but this time I did. No less disturbing, and there were many parts that were edited out on the TV broadcasts that I previously saw due to semi-nudity I suppose!

No, I'm not on a quest for social or political statements or some such. Only wanted to see the whole flick front to back. And now I have.  :|

Cheers,

RR

riff raff":92jdxkhl said:
That is the movie shown in the Metallic video for the song "One".  I've always wondered what that movie was!  I'll have to check it out.

Brewdude":92jdxkhl said:
419WlW83JoL._AC_US218_.jpg

This is a story about an American guy of 20 yrs old who enlisted in the Army in WWI. He was blown up in a shell attack in the trenches and ended up a quadriplegic, with most of his face blown off and no way to communicate. Basically a living torso fed by tubes.  

I've seen parts of this several times in the distant past, but never to the end. Actually it was too depressing to watch it to the end, but this time I did. No less disturbing, and there were many parts that were edited out on the TV broadcasts that I previously saw due to semi-nudity I suppose!

No, I'm not on a quest for social or political statements or some such. Only wanted to see the whole flick front to back. And now I have.  :|

Cheers,

RR
Al, it's a great flick. Just be prepared to be depressed!

Cheers,

RR

517CLD62pPL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just re-watched this as a loan from our great library. I've seen it several times already and never fails to entertain.

I've been on a quest for reading the accounts of many WW II escapees, and this flick serves to fill in the story lines and bring it to life. The actors are impeccable in their roles.

I will say however, that the film depicts the conditions in the camps as way more comfortable than the written accounts. That's Hollywood for you!

Nonetheless, a gripping and suspenseful movie. Highly recommended if you're a WW II buff.

Stick will surely be along anytime to chime in here, as this is right in his wheelhouse.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":tptvhu6j said:
517CLD62pPL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just re-watched this as a loan from our great library. I've seen it several times already and never fails to entertain.

I've been on a quest for reading the accounts of many WW II escapees, and this flick serves to fill in the story lines and bring it to life. The actors are impeccable in their roles.

I will say however, that the film depicts the conditions in the camps as way more comfortable than the written accounts. That's Hollywood for you!

Nonetheless, a gripping and suspenseful movie. Highly recommended if you're a WW II buff.

Stick will surely be along anytime to chime in here, as this is right in his wheelhouse.

Cheers,

RR
[Ahem].

Yes, absolutely fantastic film Rande for a few reasons.

The cast is stellar... McQueen, Dicky Attenborough, Garner, Bronson, Pleasance, Coburn, McCallum, Jackson... it tells one of the most incredible stories... and it is pretty accurate. Apart from McQueen's classic motor cycle scenes (ironically the bike was a Triumph disguised as a German machine) and the attempted escape using an aeroplane, the rest is reasonably accurate albeit the film gives the impression events unfolded far quicker than in real life.

It's accuracy is mainly due to Wally Flood being hired as a technical advisor. Wally was a prisoner in Stalag Luft 3 and worked on the tunnels.

A truly remarkable (true) story acted by a icons of the big screen.

[Thanks Rande, I got all excited then...!]

Aye mate, thought this listing would bring you out!

Classic stuff, no? And the performance of Gordon Jackson when he trips up in the language trick is remarkable. Including and especially when he warns another escapee of this during an interview!

Gordon Jackson was also classic in his role as Hudson the butler in "Upstairs, Downstairs" which is a Masterpiece Theatre production I cherish!

Cheers,

RR

The First of the Few, with Leslie Howard and David Niven. Story of R.J. Mitchell and the development of the Spitfire fighter plane. Plenty of pipe smoking.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F5O2dg2NG1I" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

51N19VAXUBL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this when it first came out and wanted to re-visit. Although it was what I considered to be a "chick flick" by my then second ex-wife, I have to admit I liked it.

Viewing it again after all this time, I like it all the more. Very touching and emotional. And well acted.

So sue me!

:|

Cheers,

RR

Finished "Paul", now "The Bridge Over the River Kwai." next up, "Support your Local Sherriff".

The Ghost in the Darkness.... good flick... when Val Kilmer was still relevant in Hollywood

Ozark Wizard":7nyiok3x said:
Finished "Paul", now "The Bridge Over the River Kwai." next up, "Support your Local Sherriff".
I love Simon Peg and Nick Frost. Paul was hysterical, have you see Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Worlds End?

515P6ACG3KL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just watched this, courtesy of our library.

It's a rather short synopsis (60-odd minutes) of what was an event that took many months (and in fact years) to play out. Yet it does give one an overview of the procedures and insight that took place back in the day.

My interest is sparked by the fact that my late Pap served in the USAAF in that conflict.

Cheers,

RR

51CWZGWZPTL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just re-watched this last night. I remember seeing it many years ago, and being on a WWII kick right now this just seemed to fit. Quite enjoyable and sometimes amusing in the face of the serious nature of the subject matter. It's obvious where the Sgt. Schultz character in "Hogan's Hero's" came from!

Highly recommended.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Aliens vs. Predator

I went into it knowing how poor the reviews were, but I hadn't read any of said reviews. They could have done so much more with this idea and setting. There was no real idea behind it at all, and some of the key elements made zero sense. If they hadn't explained teh backstory about 1/3rd the way through, none of it would have made any sense. There was no story. Thus, there was no storytelling. If anyone has watched the series Entourage, they might remember the many times where big moguls and producers just wanted to throw this thing at that thing with this actor or that actor so they could make money. This movie is a perfect example of how there was no creative idea at all. Simply two popular brands put together to soak the respective fan bases of ticket money. It's too bad they threw away so much potential. Two great characters wasted on a moneygrab. And the pyramid/civilization was cool. And yes, I'm this far behind. Movies don't interest me all that much anymore. I like character development and story over many hours. TV has been far too good to give a hoot about movies.

Brewdude":i9zswq44 said:

Just re-watched this last night. I remember seeing it many years ago, and being on a WWII kick right now this just seemed to fit. Quite enjoyable and sometimes amusing in the face of the serious nature of the subject matter. It's obvious where the Sgt. Schultz character in "Hogan's Hero's" came from!

Highly recommended.

8)

Cheers,

RR
Not seen that one Rande. One for my list... :)

Recently, I watched three of the Gunsmoke movies that James Arness made in the late '80s, early '90s. The best of the three was the one I watched last night: Gunsmoke: The Long Ride.

Stick":gkote09n said:
Brewdude":gkote09n said:

Highly recommended.

8)

Cheers,

RR
Not seen that one Rande. One for my list...  :)
Think you'll enjoy it mate. I'll be interested to read your review in due course.

Cheers,

RR

51tvcc1zTqL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just had to watch this again last night. It's one of only a few DVD movies I own and never fails to delight. Think I could recite some of the dialogue from memory!

Cheers,

RR