What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went back last night to rewatch the man from snowy river. Beautiful scenery and awesome horse scenes. Dang, I gotta get another horse soon.

13th Warrior. Not a highly regarded movie (imdb score 6.6) but one I really enjoy. Different subject matter and good production values.
Keeps me entertained, can't ask for more than that.

index.aspx

:cool:

Cheers,

RR

Really? Maybe you can explain it to me as I just couldn't get it.

Cheers?
Really? Maybe you can explain it to me as I just couldn't get it.

Cheers?

RR
Think of Charles Foster Cane as the newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst,
Through Hearst's empire he control literally the daily printed word throughout the world.
Cane is basically Hearst.
Many of the incidents of the film parallel Hearst's life.
Xanadu is Hearst Castle in California.
Cane's affair with a singer(?) is, Hearst's affair with Marion Davis (actress?)
But the clincher for me is his use of the camera and the way the story is told...backwards.
It's the press, which he controlled most of his life, trying to find out about him.
The camera moves and cuts in ways that it never had before in film.
Many of the techniques used today by our notable film directors, came from Orson Well's "Citizen Cane"
Study a little about Hearst's life...Think of the power players in media today (Murdoch, Steve Jobs, Zuckerberg) and what they control as far as their ability to sway public opinion.
Think of every character that is interviewed, even with Cane's power and money did anyone real know him or like him?
Cane's last words harken back to his youth...A time of joy and without burden...even with all the things, people, art, etc he accumulated...the real joy was a simple toy that let him be free, before he was enslaved by his power and $.
The lesson of the film rings so true today....read the headlines in your morning paper.
My dos centavos.

Last edited: