What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A movie I watch once a year. One of the stars is an all time favorite of mine. Had the pleasure of meeting him in Europe in 1988, a big fan of pipe smoking.....Charles Bronson. We enjoyed spending a few days together and many bowls of fine European tobacco blends. One thing I’ll say.... we never waited to be seated at any fine restaurant...lol. He was truly a person down to Earth. A very popular actor more so in Europe than the USA. Not that he wasn’t watched or recognized here in the States. He’s surely missed by many. RIP Charlie

The ? Movie ?: Death Wish

41HpyC2DWkL._AC_US218_.jpg

Finally got in the series, and watched the first disc last night. I remember seeing some of the episodes when it was originally broadcast and always wanted to view the entire story.

Cheers,

RR

51ydPWzleGL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this classic flick many, many years ago and wanted to revisit. Think it was also required reading in one of my school year classes.

Revisited it the other night, and Gregory Peck's performance is without equal. However, the dialogue of the children was largely lost on me. High squeaky kid voices are difficult for me to understand. I got the general idea though.

Period piece. Gritty. Serves to show what was prevalent in that area at that time. Might now have to go and re-read the book.

Cheers,

RR

Doing a comparative study of True Grit movies. Just finished the first version with John Wayne and Glen Campbell. Next up is the remake with Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon...

Brewdude":y0ybdtor said:

Finally got in the series, and watched the first disc last night. I remember seeing some of the episodes when it was originally broadcast and always wanted to view the entire story.

Cheers,

RR
A very good box series Rande. And I believe pretty accurate too.

Stick":wqryfe4e said:
Brewdude":wqryfe4e said:

Cheers,

RR
A very good box series Rande.  And I believe pretty accurate too.
Now to the 8th disc, and have to say this account is gripping.......to put it mildly! Very gritty, and have to believe this is what it was really like. The combat scenes are raw, in your face, make no apologies. Feels like one is actually there in the action.

Suffice to say I'm very impressed with this!

Cheers,

RR

Finished up the 10th and final disc of Band of Brothers last night, and plan to start re-watching it again tonight to catch anything I might have missed the first time around. Yup, I like it that much!

Cheers,

RR

2 recent movies-

51L9eb7JtnL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this eons ago as a young 'un. Tony Randall plays all 7 of the "faces" of Dr. Lao, and have to say that this might be his finest hour.

Poignant story line. The forces of good and evil personified. And the addition of the lovely Barbara Eden is easy on the eyes (her pre-Jeannie days when she was still a brunette).

Highly recommended!

And last night-

51zi8zSGiPL._AC_US218_.jpg

Again, another flick I one viewed in my long lost and misspent youth.

What can one say - Ryan and daughter Tatum O'Neal team up for hilarious hy-jinks during the depression/prohibition era as hucksters and small time con artists. Great stuff, although the cig smoking of Tatum (supposedly age 9) would be tarred and feathered in this day and age!

Cheers,

RR

51uwIQ7l-zL._AC_US218_.jpg

I was looking to see the older B&W flick I once saw years ago, but this was what my library had and is the newer version.

Not being a student of Houdini, I can't say that this version is exaggerated or embellished (most certainly). Yet it is entertaining. In any case, the life of Houdini is unique and worthy of screenplay.

Cheers,

RR

51RJA-fTKwL._AC_US218_.jpg

This just rocked my world (literally)!

While it's ostensibly the story of a recording studio in LA who cut the tracks of a plenitude of R&R artists in the 70's & 80's, many of which are household names now and are considered "Classic Rock", it's much more than the sum of it's parts.

Virtually a "Who's Who" in the music biz of that era, it gives great insight into to the working musicians of that era, recording techniques of that day and age as analogue evolved into digital, plus much more.

And the centre theme revolves around the much sought after "Holy Grail" mixing console of that era - the legendary Neve board!

From the copy on amazon-

SOUND CITY, the film, was conceived by Dave Grohl after purchasing the legendary custom-built Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The board, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Guns and Roses, Metallica, NIN, Rage Against The Machine and countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.

Grohl's personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of Nirvana's breakthrough album, Nevermind. Selling over 30 million copies worldwide, Nevermind changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered the course of Dave Grohl's life.

And if you ask "Who is Dave Grohl?" look here-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Grohl

I suspect that Vito has history here since he was intimately involved in the movers and shakers of that era. Hopefully he will chime in here.

If you're a music fan from this era, I submit that this is required viewing!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Just re-watched this old '67 B&W flick-

513MQH-cOoL._AC_US218_.jpg

This is a very dark drama revolving around a couple of NYC punks who terrorize a subway car of ordinary citizens late at night. Very chilling and terrifying. Actors include Victor Arnold, Beau Bridges, Martin Sheen, Tony Musante, Robert Bannard, Ed McMahon, and others.

Saw it many years ago and it's still as gripping as it was then! Highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR

Just watched this old '48 B&W flick from the library-

51ho-eigKjL._AC_US218_.jpg

Think I may have seen it many years ago, but if I did I couldn't remember any of the scenes. Way great classic rendition of this tale. Alec Guinness is Fagin and does an impressive job in the role!

Cheers,

RR

Now, a dalliance into the silly side of things-

61EDeJONlHL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this first in the theatre when it first came out in the mid 90's. Great to catch up. Tim Burton shines in his vision as the producer. Jack Nicholsen is perfect (and creepy as always) as his role as President. Pretty good early computer generated graphics.

I clearly remember the trading cards that came out in the early 60's which depicted the Mars aliens, which this was based in part on. Highly recommended. Slim Whitman and his country music is sufficiently lampooned!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Got my hands on the DVD screener for The Darkest Hour today. Might check it out tomorrow after therapy....

Upon Al's rec I just watched this feast-

51F4Yr1leQL._AC_US218_.jpg

OK, so if you're not familiar with him that's understandable. Nor was I until this very well done documentary. From the copy on the DVD-

The incredible true story of how Doc Pomus, a disabled Jewish man from Brooklyn, became one of the most celebrated and influential songwriters in music history.

Ya, and that don't tell the half of it. "Doc" wrote over a thousand songs (yes that's right) during the 50's and 60's which were recorded and performed by some of the leading acts of the day and age.

It was surprising to me to learn just how many tunes Doc had composed that I grew up with. From the blues, Mowtown, soul, pop, rock, name it and he had a hand in it.

What a revelation, and I thank Al for directing me to this. It certainly has shed a new light on the songs that I grew up with.

If you're a music aficionado who appreciates the history of music from the 50's - 60's onward this is a must see!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Just watched this last night-

51+VTF9Gr1L._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this many years ago when it came out and always wanted to see it again. I've been a huge Jody Foster fan for many years, with her role in "Silence of the Lambs" being my favourite.

This flick is kind of slow moving up until the last 1/2 hr or so, but it sure keeps your attention from there.

Cheers,

RR