What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
914e1KPV1aL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Just started re-watching this incredible collection for maybe the 3rd time. Haven't viewed it for some years, so much of it is fresh again.

What a totally indescribable series. Full of weirdness to be sure, but also a very complex and interesting story line with great characterizations. The writing is top notch. Can't say enough about it. 🦉

Cheers,

RR

index.aspx

After just viewing seasons 1-3 of Twin Peaks, I was made aware of this prequel which was filmed right after the original first two seasons. If anything, this movie is even weirder than any of the seasons. Some pretty horrific stuff in there too.

:cautious:

Cheers?

RR

Jeremiah Johnson (1972 Robert Redford). I have seen several times before but really liked it. The book I had read it before the movie ~Liver eating Johnson~ but the movie had been quite sanitized.

Jeremiah Johnson (1972 Robert Redford). I have seen several times before but really liked it. The book I had read it before the movie ~Liver eating Johnson~ but the movie had been quite sanitized.
Great movie, though. One of the movies I saw as a child that still stands out in my memory.

index.aspx

Not a movie of course, rather it's the original TV series I watched religiously as a kid. Still pretty goofy, but I always had the hots for Morticia (Carolyn Jones). Come to that still do!

:p

Cheers,

RR

Last night on NBC I finally got the chance to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I think it would have been wonderful to see it in the theater without commercial interruptions. There were some scenes that would have been much better on a large screen with a booming sound system. Too bad I missed it when it first came out.

Not a great movie but pretty good if you're in the mood for that type of movie. The book was by J. K. Rowling.

71LQ9f5GbjL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Just re-watched the entire 6 seasons, probably for the 3rd or 4th time. But, I hadn't seen it for a few years so it was great to get reacquainted. I always seem to pick up on some detail I had missed before. What a great series, and I eagerly await the release of the new movie.

Cheers,

RR

81dqbI+MyqL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Of course, after I completed re-watching the entire 6 seasons it was necessary to re-watch the movie. Sure hope the new movie "A New Era" is released soon. In the meantime I'm re-watching Upstairs Downstairs for the umpteenth time.

Cheers,

RR

I watched the first 35 minutes of The Northman. Like Vikings on the History Channel, there's almost no story, and they don't earn the jumps from one thing to the next as they're not telling one. More time spent on single costumes and goofy ceremonies/rituals than telling a story. As if they're doing editorial photo shoots for a Viking Vogue magazine rather than telling a tale. I really wish this type of movie was mostly unknown actors, or at least B-list actors who aren't readily known. I didn't buy Ethan Hawke or Nicole Kidman in either role. Or Willem Defoe or Skarsgard. I'm as desperate for anything vikings and fantasy as anyone...truly...but cool costumes and sensationalized rituals aren't enough. I want a story. I want jumps in time or changes in character to be earned. I'd give specific examples of wasted time in just the 35 minutes, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I'll likely finish this in a couple more small segments. It's not very good. Rotten Tomatoes audience score was 64% when I looked. It makes sense, and that might even be higher than I'd score it.

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)

Always glad to see these actors playing these characters. Now that I've said that nicety, this is likely Fellowes' weakest script in every way. I've seen a lot of his stuff, too. The story...there really isn't much of a story, but that would be fine if the characters weren't barely shadows of their former selves on top of it. There are a couple situations sold as stories, but...I honestly don't know how this ran for two hours without much connective tissue to fill out the situations. Right from the start, I felt it odd for a Fellowes script. Without giving away anything, the Dowager said some things, and then in the very next scene, when she was no longer part of the group, they repeated everything she just said. I'd have to think about it more, but I don't think I've ever seen Fellowes do this. But then as the movie moved forward, I understood. Most of the movie felt like an afterthought. I hate to be so negative. I LOVE this show. It's the weakest two hours of everything Dowton. I cannot deny it.

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)

Always glad to see these actors playing these characters. Now that I've said that nicety, this is likely Fellowes' weakest script in every way. I've seen a lot of his stuff, too. The story...there really isn't much of a story, but that would be fine if the characters weren't barely shadows of their former selves on top of it. There are a couple situations sold as stories, but...I honestly don't know how this ran for two hours without much connective tissue to fill out the situations. Right from the start, I felt it odd for a Fellowes script. Without giving away anything, the Dowager said some things, and then in the very next scene, when she was no longer part of the group, they repeated everything she just said. I'd have to think about it more, but I don't think I've ever seen Fellowes do this. But then as the movie moved forward, I understood. Most of the movie felt like an afterthought. I hate to be so negative. I LOVE this show. It's the weakest two hours of everything Dowton. I cannot deny it.

Sadly, I have to agree with everything you've written. Especially weak were some of the actors, who are all more than capable of better performances. I hate to see it end on such a disappointing note. Clearly not Fellowes best effort.

All that said, I'll certainly give it another go in due course. In fact, I was not especially enamored with the first movie but warmed to it a bit upon repeated viewings. I wonder if this will be the same.

Cheers?

RR

Last edited: